Batman & Robin: 25th Anniversary

I think most issue come from him being told to make it toy friendly

1 Like

It might take less time to say what I do like about Batman Begins. :stuck_out_tongue:

Gary Oldman. There. I’m done with my list of things I like.

1 Like

Didn’t think Liam Neeson did a good Ra’s?

1 Like

Nope. In fairness to Neeson, the script had distorted Ra’s al Ghul to the point that I can’t really blame him for lacking the motivations and abilities of his comic counterpart. And while I think he plays the character far too stiffly–lacking the charisma I would expect from the Batman universe’s version of a James Bond villain–I cannot be sure that his rather dull performance was his choice and not Christopher Nolan’s. Either way, all of the fun was sucked out of Ra’s al Ghul.

(On a side note: Christopher Nolan is an avowed fan of the James Bond films, and his Dark Knight Trilogy shows clear influence from those films. So why doesn’t he make any effort to capture the entertaining, escapist tone of that franchise?!)

1 Like

Nolan might do well in some 007 movies

2 Likes

Maybe . . . if he can stop being so self-serious and have some fun.

1 Like

I’m glad there are people who enjoyed it, but to be perfectly honest, I watched this movie for free on an HBO preview weekend and still felt robbed.

2 Likes

has he done anything close?

1 Like

@Sean-Malloy he did, In the beginning of Dark Knight Rises where Bane hijack the plane, it was based on a Bond movie, I forgot which movie it was, but it was really close.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As @Reaganfan78 noted, the opening scene of The Dark Knight Rises is directly lifted from the opening sequence of Licence to Kill.

Plus, one of the dreams in Inception (the one in the snowy location) is directly inspired by a location from On Her Majesty’s Secret Service.

1 Like

Seeing as how we’re on a Batman and Bond kick, I do like how Schumacher opened his Batman movies with large and extravagant action sequences, similar to most Bond movies.

It set them apart from Burton’s, which built up to the action, but they’re also fun sequences that pull the viewer in for the rest of the ride.

Between Batman Forever and Batman & Robin, Forever’s opening is better (and yes, its because it features my fav non-Bale LA Batman, Chase Meridian and Two-Face, so there :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), but Batman & Robin’s opening is a ton of fun, especially when Batman and Robin skysurf after Mr. Freeze.

3 Likes

I prefer the B&R opening scene, actually. It’s the only time in either movie that Robin seems competent! (Even if he gets frozen at the end.)

2 Likes

Give him some props. He busted that laundry and wet floor in Batman Forever better than Al could.

And…he kicked Don “The Dragon” Wilson’s ass. No easy task, as several DTV movies have shown.

2 Likes

He most likely had a lot more training since “Batman Forever”

2 Likes

Yeah, that was bad. The argument was no one would buy Alicia Silverstone could be Pat Hingle’s daughter. I mean, yeah, sure. However, I’m also not buying that she’s Michael Gough’s niece either.

1 Like

More training as in he karate’d more laundry? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I was 10 when this movie came out and did not care for it, even though I liked Batman Forever and had the toys. 2 years later I guess I already grew up.

In time, I came to enjoy this movie for the farce that it is. I recall one critic saying this is the kinda movie you put on with your friends, have a few drinks, and just roast it.
I do love John Glover and his over-acting in that one scene. Cool soundtrack! And honestly, I think George Clooney could be a good Bruce Wayne/Batman, with the right script and direction.

1 Like

I meant actual training

They’s have been better off with Hingle

1 Like

In the script, she’s the daughter of Alfred’s ex-lover. Their May-December relationship didn’t work out, but when Peg went on to marry a younger man and have a daughter, Alfred remained in her life and acted as an “uncle” to Barbara.

This idea was changed in post-production, but the original dialogue can be heard in the deleted scenes. And it was retained in the novelization.

1 Like

Slightly more sense, but not by much

2 Likes