Batman Reborn # 101 and the Future of Batcat and a Place to Vent (Spoiler Warning Read the Book First)

Joker was absolutely outrageously spending a lot of money when he had the Wayne Enterprise assets.

Okay, havenā€™t gotten to it yet but itā€™s on my to read list for DC stuff.

1 Like

the mention that the accounts were not exactly legal happened in batman rebirth #93 as Harley was fighting Punchline.

1 Like

Dc should have this segment entered into tales from the dark multiverse series. I see that insted of pegy getting cats out the jokers clowns managed to get the penguin and then kitty . If that were to happenā€¦ Batman would have been broken by Joker and Joker would end up being impaled via the butt on Wayne towers spike. Batman would go on to kill every clown goon in Gotham, Kill the batman who laughts, kill the justice league take the godkiller sword and kill barbatos ,kill Luther, before finally forcing Nightwing to kill him. thus the Rises FallenWing.

I read the issue on Tuesday, and now that Iā€™ve had some time to think it over, Iā€™m glad that Tynion was able to devise this organic way of bringing Batman back down to being more of a street level hero. To be honest, Iā€™ve always been a fan of the idea that Batman has to take care of his equipment and canā€™t just drive every car he owns off of a cliff. However, I also hope Tynion wonā€™t go overboard with this story element and have Batman turn into some kind of miser.

The move from Wayne Manor to the city is something readers have already seen before, so that doesnā€™t really bother me. Eventually heā€™ll go back, and that will be that. Iā€™m also glad that Bat-Cat is going as well as anyone would expect. I mean, the issue brings up a lot of points of why Bruce and Selina are never going to be like Lois and Clark. In the end, they just live completely different lives, and even if this wasnā€™t just a ploy to keep the Catwoman series selling books without being intrinsically tied to Batmanā€™s adventures, I still wouldnā€™t mind the fact that Catwoman goes out and isnā€™t a constant presence in the Batman comics.

What I can also say is that Iā€™m really not a fan of Lucius Fox becoming this bitter, jaded @$$. I can be fine with the idea that one day he gets tortured by the Joker or whatever, but he should be smart enough to understand the risks involved in helping Batmanā€™s crusade. Hiring Grifter and giving Batman the cold shoulder seem completely out of character, not to mention whatever this ā€œHaloā€ thing is. To put it plainly, I would have preferred if Punchline killed him at the end of Joker War instead of seeing all of this weird behavior.

Besides, itā€™s pretty clear that this is all supposed to help lead us into ā€œDC Future Stateā€, so weā€™re probably going to see Batman take some serious Lā€™s in the public eye over Tynionā€™s next few story arcs, and then one of Luciusā€™s sons is going to slip into a Batman suit just to annoy their dad.

which is why i think LF is going to go full supervillain. I think bruceā€™s batman is going to go back to the shadows for a for the next year well The Fox bats is going to be in the light.

ya i do not think bats and cats will always be working together if the finally get to tie the knot but they will always end up cuddling together at the end of the dayā€¦wait i love it if they have the Fox bat as the bat for the batman titles for a few years and have bruce as a batman working with Selina/Catwoman in the catwoman title. then do a No mans Land (II) story leading Bruce to need to become the batman in the light again which leads to battle for the cowl (II). then have a full of Batman/Catwoman title. It would be nice reword for catwomans 12 year absence and severe limiting in every animated title to have batman/Bruce in catwomanā€™s bock for a few years.

1 Like

Lots of changes here. The love between Bruce and Selina felt palpable. The reasons given for their one year breakā€¦ wellā€¦ less so. Seems to me that if Bruce really wanted to make it work, he could. If he can fight cosmic battles with the Justice League, he can figure out a way to be with the woman he lovesā€¦ unless, he just doesnā€™t want toā€¦ I donā€™t know.

The money thing is intriguing. On one hand, it will be telling to see how much of a role money plays in being Batman. On the other hand, part of the fantasy of Batman for me, is having those seemingly unlimited resources and using them for good. Guess time will tell how I ultimately feel about this change. Again, the reason for it happeningā€¦ meh. Almost feels like Bruce is just going along with it and will have a big ace up his sleeve at some point.

1 Like

Cats are still in Gotham (ally town), Bats is in the brownstone so itā€™s not like she moved across the country or out of the country this time. However, Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle on the other hand are still in Gotham and still engaged even if theyā€™re not living togetherā€¦ as I see it what they need to figure out how theyā€™re going to work together. but first, they need to deal with the issues that came up during the Jokerā€¦then again I am also a romantic cynical optimist so I want this to work out for them as these two both deserve to be happy.

:grin: i just remembered in one of the first 10ish issues of batman rebirth it mentioned the death of batman, bats can easily fake his death and work as Deadbat (or something like that) with Catwoman well (Fox) batman takes over as batman. I almost get the feeling its LF who ā€˜killsā€™ batman in this situation

1 Like

Honestly, Iā€™m kind of tired of the whole Batman/Catwoman thing. I guess it has to do with perception of the character. I see Catwoman as a chaotic neutral opportunist; I donā€™t see her as a good guy. They just donā€™t feel like they work to me. Her long, long, long history of lying to, manipulating, and betraying him doesnā€™t help.

2 Likes

Thinking on it I Really love this pairing because of their complex history with each other. however, Catwomanā€™s betrayals of bat are not really all that bad. in the golden age generally it was stealing a kiss and jump away, jump off a speedboat (which batman aided her in doing)ā€¦really batman basically let Catwoman go till the US entered WWII and then she had to be locked up but escaping often. really her name of Selina kyle was not revealed till 1950 ala king tut hit to the head. however golden age batcat married, silver/bronze age batcat still loved each other before the reset into the modern age.

Itā€™s actually not clear if Helena kyle of New Earthā€™s father is Samuel Bradley, Jrā€™s or bruce waynes given the timing. and before flashpoint, they were together again. really the only time these too are not off and on is in the flashpoint universe cause bruce died in that ally and then the universe was booster goes back and saves bats parents.
New 52ā€¦well they were really off and on.

so ya i really ship these two hard is what i am trying to say.

Iā€™m glad you have something you can enjoy. Iā€™ve grown weary of it, though. It doesnā€™t feel like it really works for me. I think that there are better pairings that could be explored.

If a man lied to, manipulated, and betrayed the trust of a woman the way Catwoman does to Batman, I honestly donā€™t think that it would be anywhere near as popular.

i agree with your assessment however in my typical overthinking manner i feel it does not quite apply in the way you seem to think as there are 4 stages to batcatā€™s relationship they start out as enemies attracted to each other, then become sometimes allies( andā€¦booty call partners rebirth) in some universe, then they are allies (with benefits in rebirth and i think new 52), then they get together on a permanent bases as lovers. but thatā€™s as Batman and Catwoman. On the other side of the masks, Bruce Wayne and Selina kyle both date off and on for years before they know the otherā€™s identity with batman figuring out Selina is Catwoman first. most of the manipulation happens during the enemy stage of their relationship.

however on the other hand when you compare any of Selina/Catwomanā€™s manipulations of Bruce/Batman to Tailaā€™s manipulation of Bruce/Batmanā€¦ anything that what Selina has done is minor.

PS: Selina was manipulated by Bane, Holly, and Joker to leave bruce at the alter.

I get the distinct impression that our respective takes on Catwoman, and on her relationship with Batman, are too far apart for there to be any common ground.

Likely true.
however, I will say that ya Gotham High yaā€¦Selina ya she was quite horrible to bruce in that particular book. however what all do you view as so horribly manipulative cat in other timelines?

PS: i forgot that catwoman often tried to off bats in batman 66 tv series.

reading the batman: The Bat and the Cat: 80 Years of Romance (Collected)
and i just learned that the first time batcat as the cat and bruce Wayne were to be married was in batman vol 1. number 15 cover date march 15th 1943ā€¦so i think they may string us along till until 2023 and have wedding(II) on this date between batcat eather in earth-2 or earth prime.

I just recalled you mentioning this and I thought I should let you know if you do not yet know that thereā€™s a Black canary book coming out as part of the DC icon series on 12/29/20 I already pre-ordered it and it sounds great. there are more History of books, from wonder woman to superman. I am a history buff so I have an interest in these but have yet to pick them up as I am not as big of a fan of WW and sups as I am of the bat and the catā€¦god I hate cats origin from new earth after batman year oneā€¦ at least till zero hour.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been following the Icons series! I especially liked Catwoman: Soulstealer. Thanks for the rec!

Youā€™re welcomeā€¦I have all but the superman Icon series but I am not the biggest Superman fan however i am still Listening through Warbringer, which I am finding a bit boringā€¦wonder woman ya having invulnerability lowers the stakes when it comes to the risk to the hero. especially when compared to Batman and Catwoman who have very high risks to their personal safety should they get shot.

Just announced in batman 103 Batman Catwoman 12 issue series covering their past present and her future.

0_0; i when i first saw this i missed that batman Catwoman is a black label book so itā€™s a different universe book. which both makes me even more excited and also fills me with some dread.