Batman: One Bad Day – A Series of OGNs Featuring Batman’s Greatest Villains Starting in August!

Eh, I hope not.

There are artists who do select work in the style of other famous, deceased, artists (Kirby has many imitators) but that’s usually in tribute to a particular person.

I wouldn’t mind artists who mimic Perez’s art in tribute.

Anything other than a tribute should, in most cases, be off-limits.

From the October solicits:

The Penguin ONE BAD DAY one-shot is the one that I’m looking forward to most…

BATMAN – ONE BAD DAY: PENGUIN #1
Written by JOHN RIDLEY
Art and cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
Variant cover by JIM LEE
1:25 variant cover by DAN MORA
1:50 variant cover by JAMAL CAMPBELL
1:100 variant cover by BRIAN BOLLAND Premium variant cover by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI
$7.99 US | 64 pages | Prestige | (All covers card stock)
ON SALE 10/18/22
The Penguin’s criminal enterprise and the Iceberg Lounge have been stolen from underneath him by his former associate the Umbrella Man. The Umbrella Man has removed all of the rules for crime in Gotham City that the Penguin put in place, and the city is in chaos. The Penguin is a broken man, and he’ll have to travel through the burning streets of Gotham with a gun and a single bullet putting together a new crew to take back what he’s built. Will Batman help the devil he knows or face the devil he doesn’t in the form of the Umbrella Man? A crime epic from the team behind the critically acclaimed Other History of the DC Universe, John Ridley and Giuseppe Camuncoli—don’t miss it!

THE OTHER HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE dynamic duo of John Ridley and Giuseppe Camuncoli, back together again.

This looks great.

1 Like

I doubt it, since Joker has an ongoing series. And since this series is explicitly trying to give each of these 8 villains their own Killing Joke, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to make another Killing Joke.

You may be right. The solicits, to me, read like this is more like possible future stories - not quite Elseworlds, but stories like Three Jokers or even the original setting of The Killing Joke - stories after decade and decades of combat between Batman and the villains. Whereas current continuity I think still only has about 15 years max for Batman.

But Killing Joke was folded into the Years One through Five history, and I know King always has ambitions for his Black Label stuff to be folded into continuity in the same way, so…we’ll see. I kind of doubt it, but I’m interested to see what happens.

(Plus, the Penguin story simply can’t be continuity right now given what’s going on in Zdarsky’s run. It could be before or after, but not current)

I like this

That does sound like something that Williamson would do! (Also, The Joker series is really good. Because it’s actually a Jim Gordon series :wink: )

Anyway, got two interviews from King and Gerads that I think are really interesting and illuminating about this project, and since it’s dropping next week, was hoping to kickstart the conversation again:

I especially think that what King says about DC believing that Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns will never be topped being a frustrating thing for creators is interesting, since Chuck Dixon said exactly the same thing several months ago.

4 Likes

Thank you.

Who knows, maybe a Superman editor will pop by and say “Hey, that Vroom guy has some great ideas.”

Could happen. :wink:

1 Like

A couple of reviews…

This is one of the few things that I was going to buy when it was released and not wait for it to come to DC Universe Infinite.

Anyway, it was delivered this morning on my iPad Pro in Apple Books at 12:06am (just after midnight), and now after reading the reviews, I can’t wait to read it.

Although, I’m literally saving it for a rainy day. :smiling_face:

I want to read it on a dark and gloomy, rainy day.

Let’s see how long I can hold out.

So, I just read the Riddler book. And Tom King and Mitch Gerads continue their streak of absolutely blowing my mind with the content they create. I’m happy I went and bought a physical copy of this.

I won’t go into spoilers or anything but I hope all the other books are as good as this one. I wasn’t planning on getting the other ones but now I am reconsidering because this one was just amazing.

1 Like

It really is outstanding. Gorgeous artwork and a DARK story. Like, really dark. I always considered Dark Knight Dark City to be the darkest Riddler story - no more. Durn. Just… durn.

1 Like

The Riddler is my favorite Batman villain, so I was both excited and apprehensive about reading this issue, especially after a string of misses from Tom King for me and some of the reviews. However, I liked The War of Jokes and Riddles, so I decided to go for it. I’m glad I did.

I really liked the tone. I liked the concept of what the Riddler could be and do without the riddles. I think the idea of Riddler not wanting his own ‘riddle’ solved and how that sets him on a different path is interesting. I almost wish we got to see a bit more of his success, but Batman wouldn’t just stand by through Gotham’s takeover. The ending has me torn. On the one hand, I think it plays into a lot of the book’s themes nicely, and I love that it ends on a riddle. However, I have two issues. 1) I think Riddler would have a contigency plan in case he’s killed/taken down that would have acted out a number of his threats. Even ignoring Batman, someone else could have brought in a sniper/assassin. 2) I don’t think there’s enough here that would have pushed Batnan to kill Riddler, as is one interpretation of the end.

1 Like

I’m starting to get excited about the next in this series - Two-Face, by Tamaki and Fernandez. I’m wondering if I’ll be able to consider it the end to her Detective Comics run that she never really got for various confusing reasons. :slight_smile:

@Vroom Now that we have Ultra, you can catch up on this series! The Two-Face one shot is amaze!

1 Like

'Twould appear so, as 'twas the first of this week’s Ultra books I added to my list yesterday, my good sir. :+1:t2:

flips a coin for kicks while he tips his beverage in appreciation

1 Like

The Penguin and Mr. Freeze installments were both very memorable tales, great writing and artwork.
The Penguin one was a well-crafted story that shows the sheer cunning and force of will that motivates the character when he’s on the ropes.
The Freeze story provided some very nice character shading to the modern-era “Heart of Ice” origin, by making both the Fries’ marriage and Victor’s motives much darker than before, and brings a greater malevolence to the character. The character work on Batman and, in particular, Robin, was also very well done.

Aside from the Two-Face chapter, I’m really enjoying the ONE BAD DAY series so far.

Kinda funny you say that, as I love the Two-Face chapter, and disliked the other three! :slight_smile:

1 Like

How are these I haven’t decided if I want to read them or not?

They are all different from each other! It’s not really a series so much as a bunch of unconnected, usually alternate universe/future type stories about villains.

1 Like

Ok, thanks.

Mr. Freeze is a tough character to crack. “Heart of Ice” was great but it quickly became the Only Mr. Freeze story. I dug the OBD book as it at least attempted to move Freeze beyond Heart of Ice. Loved seeing The Meek pop up again, too.

1 Like

Did you like the Batman Annual #1 in the n52 for a similar reason?

1 Like

Mr. Freeze is an interesting charactor because like you said “Heart of Ice” is the only thing that he really has going for as a charactor. I’ve never quite understood why DC hasn’t put Mr. Freeze in a more anti-hero role and have him join the Sucide Squad or something.

1 Like

Didn’t care much for that one. Another attempt at a similar thing but it didn’t work as well as the OBD book. There’s a Christos Gage LotDK arc (#201-203) that also attempted it, with mixed results.