Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Hi! This is officially my third original topic on this and as a side note, I just want to say thank you to everyone on this platform for encouraging my inner geek while all my friends can’t stand it when I start talking about all my obscure DC knowledge. Anyways, the topic of this is of course, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. I own it on dvd as well as the series related to it and I wanted to put it out here and ask if you guys have seen it and what you think about it. Thanks!

5 Likes

What do I think about it? I only think it’s the best DC film ever made. Required viewing.

6 Likes

It’s absolutely amazing. There are plenty of things I could say about it, but the one thing I always fall back on is Bruce’s “I didn’t count on being happy” line. Not only is it one of the most heartbreaking things to come out of DC, but it kind of perfectly sums up Batman’s character as much as you can in just a few words

7 Likes

To start, I’d say that it’s about 1000 times better than the comic it’s loosely based on. But more to the point, I think it tops the list when it comes to Batman movies. The music, the animation, the voice cast, it all fell into place so well that it’s a shame that it didn’t really perform at the box office back then.

What I think might be the best part about the movie is all the world building. One critique I’ve seen a lot of recently is that every live action reboot of Batman thinks it’s necessary to show the Waynes get killed. That really doesn’t happen in MOTP, and yet it’s probably the one time that all that emotion and tragedy behind Batman is really fleshed out.

6 Likes

Iv’e never seen that movie

2 Likes

Couldn’t recommend it more. It’s about as definitive a Batman movie as you’re gonna find. You don’t have to have seen the animated series to understand it, but knowing the show makes it even better, and the animated series is basically required watching for DC fans anyway

4 Likes

@arkhamassassin I’ve ben a DCfan since I was a kid

1 Like

Its iconic. When Bruce dawns the cowl for the first time and scares alfred is unfathomable, it gives me chills everytime.

5 Likes

Great movie.

1 Like

Pal you’re missing out. When you have 75 minutes of free time, give it a watch. You won’t regret it

4 Likes

@Batman0803 I wanna see it

2 Likes