Batman Doesn’t Have Time for Jim Gordon

I remain in surprise that Gordon hasn’t been killed off during his history. I could see shuffling him off at least for awhile and turn things fun with Harvey Bullock as Police Commissioner.

2 Likes

Gordon did retire for a while after the (mediocre) Officer Down crossover, but the guy who replaced him was a bland new character who didn’t do much.

I liked Officer Down. It’s not as good as what it created, obviously, but not bad.

1 Like

If you’re reading the current Batman run by Tynion, that’s exactly what’s happening.

2 Likes

I just jumped into Batman when #86 came out by Tynion. I was a little confused why Bullock was Commissioner. Currently as I catch up from behind I’m only on Batman #17 so I have a ways to go and then there’s the gap in comics from DCU to live - is he just retired? Has it been a long time? Was it the city of Bane that wore him down? Lol

1 Like

Thank you, @Gothamite.ZJN!

“Gotta love the alpha in Batman” - I sure do! :wink:

I agree that Gordon does allow Batman to do what he feels is necessary. When Jim becomes Batman in The New 52, he even points out how challenging it is for the superhero to work with/within the law, as opposed to operating as a vigilante. I really appreciated that recognition for all the years of Bruce’s hard work to protect the city in spite of the obvious challenges.

I love the art there, @JeepersItsTheJamags - such a solid example! I haven’t gotten to Black Mirror or Knightfall yet but I’m really looking forward to them! I also love the conversations this topic has sparked. It’s been a lot of fun beefing up my Batman knowledge with the community. I appreciate you sharing!

1 Like

I love seeing those, @capo-mage! :laughing: Awesome example!

@Batman0803, I had my Long Halloween open earlier this week but couldn’t remember if there were any instances in the story. Great find!

1 Like

No problem. Black Mirror is my go to for favorite Batman story but there’s so many great ones.

2 Likes

Yeah, if I recall correctly, that’s Graham Nolan, who drew Detective Comics for most of the '90s, including the image I use as my usual avatar:

2 Likes

I love that cover! I have been printing my favorite cover art and putting them on my office wall and I think this will be a must!

1 Like

I agree, @Gothamite.ZJN. @JeepersItsTheJamags, that cover is stunning. Great choice for an avatar too!

1 Like

Here’s a double whammy - Batman startles Jim Gordon and pulls the disappearing act!

The Honest Trailer for Batman: The Animated Series mentions the comedy gold of “scaring Grandpa Gordon” and aside from ghosting the Commissioner, this also really makes me laugh. :joy:

5 Likes

Just got to this page in my reading of the series And I thought it was familiar :joy: wanted to post myself here but thought I’d better scroll up first. No wonder it was familiar it’s the one you started this whole thing off with @KeyFamily :laughing:

1 Like

That made me LOL, @Gothamite.ZJN. Too funny! :joy: Great minds think alike!

I was watching Batman Begins last night. At around the 1:19 mark of this clip (~55 minutes into the movie), Bruce makes his first “Jim Gordon dine & dash” as a Batman prototype.

1 Like

About 27 minutes into The Dark Knight, Batman exits a rooftop conversation with Harvey Dent and Jim Gordon. Dent looks at Gordon, confused - to which he replies “He does that”. Another classic maneuver! :batman_hv_1:

2 Likes

I found out what happens when Bats doesn’t leave . lol

Awkward.

3 Likes

Excellent example, @capo-mage! :joy:

1 Like

I’ve started a fresh playthrough of Arkham Knight. Batman abandons Jim right in the intro scenes. :rofl:

1 Like

This is an excellent observation and so true, @Gothamite.ZJN! Awesome read and now one of my favorites!