Batman Action Figure Thread

This idea was brought up by @Vroom in @HubCityQuestion’s best Batman costume thread. Let’s talk about Batman action figures :slightly_smiling_face:. I’ve done this once before with Superman, and that thread was a deep dive into figures that were not limited to my personal collection. The thread had a relatively small audience (thanks to those that participated), but was fun nonetheless. I’m going to approach this one differently. Will limit myself to the 5 figures that capture my eyes the most when looking at my display, and then I’ll talk about one that is on my wish list. So half a dozen…short & sweet! As with the Superman thread, I’ll mostly be using pictures from Google searches, since I’d rather not move my figures around/take 'em out of the cabinet. Hope more of you chime in with your favorites as well.

D771398-B-CC21-4-C9-A-93-AC-B358-DCEF1-DD5.png

3 Likes

Mezco One:12 Collective Sovereign Knight Batman - PX Previews Exclusive (2019).

A modern, stylized take on the classic blue & gray batsuit. This is the second figure in a 3 figure series for Batman from Mezco, showcasing him early in his career (Ascending Knight), current day (this one, Sovereign Knight) and an older Batman (Supreme Knight, out next year). There are several variants of the figure with different color schemes. This happens to be my favorite. Usual Mezco quality and flair.

1 Like

DC Collectibles Designer Series Lee Bermejo Batman (2016)

Bermejo’s design for Batman is rather unique. It’s mostly a two tone design of black and gray, with the exception of the utility belt. What sets it apart is the detailed sculpt of the armor, and Bruce’s visible eyes through the cowl. Limited articulation, but given the quality of the sculpt and paint and the very reasonable price point, I’d argue it’s a great buy.

2 Likes

Sideshow Batman Sixth Scale Figure (2019)

This is a big one at 12" tall. Full fabric goods costume, an an older looking bat symbol…like it maybe came out of the 50s. Comes with an unmasked Bruce Wayne head, a couple of batarangs and a stand. It’s quite majestic. You can see little details like his musculature and a couple veins on his muscles behind fabric costume. The utility belt is meticulously crafted as well, with actual stitching detail. The only knocks are price and single jointed elbows.

1 Like

Neca 1989 Batman (2014)

Neca did a heck of a job nailing the batsuit from the classic movie and Michael Keaton’s likeness with this figure. Was available only as a bundle with a blu-ray of the movie at Toys R Us. I treat this one gingerly because, well, Neca joints. For collectors that are fans of the movie, this is a good choice.

2 Likes

Mezco One:12 Collective BvS Batman (2016)

Another Mezco and another movie figure. I don’t know of any other figure at this scale that depicts BvS as accurately as this one. Long sold out and very much sought after in the secondary market. If you’re looking to acquire this one be prepared to fork over a pretty penny.

1 Like

And finally, one that is on my wishlist, another one from DC Direct: this Batman Incorporated figure from 2011. I really like this costume, with all its intricacies and detailing, and not aware of any other representation in figure form. Hoping a good deal pops up on ebay one day :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

So… what are your favorites? Are they based on movies? Games? Animation? Comics? Plenty of ground to cover here and hoping to hear from everyone which Batfigures you like the most.

1 Like

Michael Keaton Batman from Mattel’s first DC Comics Multiverse line (in 4" scale) in 2014.

By far the best mass market Keaton Batman figure ever. Every single detail on the costume is perfectly accurate as is the texturing on the cape, inside and out. His grapple gun is movie accurate, and his articulation is great too.

SN: The Christopher Reeve Superman from this line is equally fantastic too.

s-l400.jpg

2 Likes

Kenner’s Crime Attack Batman from series one of The Dark Knight Collection. The best movie accurate (minus a few details) Keaton Batman by Kenner.

BTW, my pictures are all from eBay.

s-l400.jpg

2 Likes

Kenner Super Powers Batman (with a Kay-Bee price tag!).

Fantastic design and figure in every way. He’s a classic for good reason.

s-l400.jpg

2 Likes

Mattel’s very first Batman figure, from series one of their Justice League line in 2003.

s-l400.jpg

2 Likes

Mattel’s first deluxe Batman action figure, Crime Bust Batman. From the Justice League line in 2003.

1 Like

Oops. Image for the above.

s-l400.jpg

2 Likes

2005’s Mattel DC Super Heroes series 1 Batman.

This was a repaint of Bat-Signal Batman, a figure from Mattel’s '03/'04 Batman line that was only released in Europe.

Luckily, this Batman was released in the U.S. and was the first figure of the DC Super Heroes line, which focused on Batman and Superman characters in alternating waves.

s-l400.jpg

3 Likes

Nice picks @Vroom. Thanks for sharing :slightly_smiling_face:.

That Kenner Keaton looks awfully similar in body proportions to the Super Powers Batman. Were they the same scale? Wonder if they repainted some of the Super Powers parts to make the Keaton Batman.

The Crime Bust Batman is pretty cool. I like the darker color scheme on animated Bats. Looks different, in a good way.

That Mattel DCSH Batman looks like its based on the Jim Lee Hush design, no? My collection could use a blue & gray Hush Batman.

Surprised you didn’t list Zipline Batman. Knowing your affinity for Mattel and the shear popularity of that figure, I thought for sure it would be near the top of your list :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I recently ordered the whole multiverse wave 7, which is Batman characters, and I get a collect and connect Killer Croc, which is the connect figure of the wave.

2 Likes

Great picks, y’all! I’ll have to submit a couple later. Right now I’m saving pennies for the Keaton Mezco fig!

1 Like

@moro Kenner’s basic Keaton Batman body/buck was indeed derived from the Super Powers Batman. After an extensive retool, that body was then used for 97-98% of their Keaton figures.

Toy Biz would also use the SP Batman (with modifications) as the prototype for their Batman figure, which debuted a year before Kenner’s revamped edition.

Other Batman related Super Powers figures were repurposed for the Keaton movie toylines too.

With a new head sculpt, paint apps that legally had to differentiate him from the Toy Biz offering (since it was still at retail when Kenner’s would debut) and no Power Action feature (instead featuring a color changing face), The Joker was retooled into Sky Escape Joker in The Dark Knight Collection.

For Batman Returns, Penguin’s Power Action components were removed, rad black and white paint apps were applied to him and he featured an umbrella firing projectile launcher, which was a slightly retooled version of the launcher that debuted with Crime Attack Batman.

There’re rumors that the Batman Returns Catwoman figure design was largely based off of designs for what would have been the Super Powers Catwoman (who would’ve had a tail BTW). I’ve come across conflicting reports about this point over the years, so I see her as a newly tooled figure that some folks project aspirations of a Super Powers figure that never was onto.

The final Batman based Super Powers item to be revamped for the Keaton era was the Batcopter. As far as I know, this was just a repaint from dark blue with black landing pieces and rotors (Super Powers) to all black in every way (The Dark Knight Collection).

As for Zipline Batman, since I featured his original release from 2003 in HCQ’s thread in General, below is his 2004 re-issue after Mattel applied the underworld theme (which was in relation to the sewers of Gotham, thanks to the inclusion of Killer Croc in the line; not the movie Underworld) to their Batman line.

SN: Zipline Batman was also released on the underworld cardback with a reprint of Batman #608 as a Walmart exclusive (as were other figures), in a two-pack with the regular edition of Robin, and as a European edition that featured different accessories.

s-l400.jpg

2 Likes

Mafex’s upcoming Hush Batman! I’m a huge sucker for the Japanese aesthetic

2 Likes