Batman #77 Grief Counseling

I think I may be an outlier within this group, because I actually enjoy what King has been doing. Have I loved everything? No, but I can’t say any of it has been against their character logic. Bane is a killer, who gave a warning. Damien thinks he can single-handedly best everyone, because that flaw is true to his character. So The logical conclusion is that he would be beaten and Bane would be true to his word. it’s a tough pill to swallow but it’s action and consequence. My problem is; Doomsday clock already established that Alfred lives(and made Rorschach pancakes) so I turned the page and didn’t feel anything, the same happened when Grayson was shot. Alfred being gone, and Bruce dealing with that loss would have led to some interesting stories, but we already know that through whatever plot device he will live, or come back relatively soon. Maybe it is clayface, and Ric Grayson already saved Alfred like last month off panel.

3 Likes

This may well be a fake-out, but if it’s not it does have some interesting implications. Alfred is/was Bruce’s last link to his parents. He is also the caretaker of the Wayne Estate, and that’s not really a job one can outsource given the cave below. Does this essentially force Bruce to leave the manor, and move him further from his parents’ memory? And if so, might that be an overall healthy thing for him to do? King’s Batman is emotionally stunted- not unique to King but he has made it particularly explicit. Perhaps part of his emotional journey is cutting ties with his past and moving on in a healthy way.

Or maybe it’s a fake-out. I dunno.

1 Like

Also: Bane is kind of a turd.

3 Likes

It would be cool if Catwoman became Batman’s new Alfred, replacing him in the role of confidante/lover. No, I don’t want to reword that.

1 Like

Soo, is Batgirl in a different time bubble or something? She’s in Gotham, and not in the Burnside neighborhood in case Bane decided he didn’t care about that section. I haven’t been following Batman as closely, so I was pretty confused here. Also, I thought Jason was back at the Iceberg Lounge? Maybe Bane doesn’t view Red Hood as a Bat ally or something, but I don’t see Jason abandoning Alfred. Also, it kind of feels like Dick just has to stay Ric to make this whole story arc work -which I guess could be taken as a testament to how important he is to the Batfamily, but it still feels sucky to me.

Anyway, I hope Alfred’s death is just a takeout. I feel like I’ve just seen this story from Batman’s pov. Getting Damian’s reaction can be good for his character development, but I don’t really need to see Bruce go through losing Alfred (or another family member) again.

1 Like

I’ve had the feeling that the Batman title is its own world. Not that every book has to be chronologically in tune but the rest of the Bat-family and DCU seem to be operating as if King’s run isn’t happening.
Even if for some reason other heroes didn’t intervene, I find it hard to believe that Clark or Barry wouldn’t at least save Alfred in the blink of an eye. Oh that’s right, Gotham Girl is invincible. I reeeeeeeeally hope she doesn’t survive this train wreck.

3 Likes

Possible fake outs:
It’s really a shape shifter of some type
Magic
Mean Batman is in on it, and fooled Bane somehow
Robot Alfred
Bobby had a bad dream
They were all dead the whole time
Smoke and Mirrors
The power of love will bring him back if we all believe

4 Likes

@CastleAlec Do you maybe just want to see her in a cat-themed French maid outfit?

1 Like

I don’t think Catwoman’s domesticated. Somebody else is going to have to do the cooking and cleaning

2 Likes

@mgstv
Don’t worry, Damian will do that. He can start earning an allowance.

1 Like

Batwing52 :smile::sweat_smile::joy::rofl:

2 Likes

Can’t wait for #86! Thanks HCQ but Marvel has been paying for my grief counseling till Tom leaves Batman! DC wanted to pay for it but ya know…
:bat:

This mental health professional has volunteered his services for those grieving.

latest.jpg

4 Likes

@msgtv For fake out options, you left out “Batmite is pretending to be Bane and it’s all one big joke”

1 Like

Mrmiracle maybe I knew that was the real answer but was sworn to secrecy

2 Likes

@msgtv She literally cooked for him in this issue lol

I know Catwoman cooked, but do honestly see her as Batman’s hausfrau?

The best theory I’ve heard is that the pit Thomas brought Bruce to a few issues ago, where a person can be brought back no matter how dead they are if another life is sacrificed, will be used to bring back Alfred. And I think personally, Thomas will sacrifice himself.

2 Likes

@msgtv I’m not saying Batman will suddenly start having a traditional family structure, no.

I just feel sorry for anyone that has to buy this book on ebay just to read it when it will have no value once he’s brought back in most likely a few issues and is alive again, making what happened in issue 77 meaningless…