Batman #77 Grief Counseling

This one hurt BAD. I know. For many, this was the one thing we never wanted to happen; the unacceptable loss. If you need a hug, or a box of tissues, or just to yell into a paper bag, this is where to do it.

I’ll be right with you. But first, please excuse me while I curl up in the corner and rock back and forth for a bit.

4 Likes

All I’ll say is this: it has happened before, and this character “got better” a little over two years later. For now, it opens up new creative opportunities. Eventually, it will certainly get reversed.

1 Like

If this turns out to be real and not a fakeout, we riot.

2 Likes

Considering how Alfred was confident and steadfast against Thomas and Bane while under their capture, I get the feeling that this is part of a plan that Alfred and the Robins have had from the start.

2 Likes

I haven’t read this, but since we’re in a spoiler thread, I’m perfectly fine with someone spoiling it for me.

What’s the happs?

1 Like

Bane murdered Alfred, and forced Damian to watch.

1 Like

Why that motherfu-

Geez…that does hit hard. Did Bruce find out yet?

2 Likes

No. Not yet.

1 Like

Yeah I saw the news about this. Man I have a feeling it’s a fake out but hey there’s been crazier things in comics. Bats will be devastated when he finds out. This might lead to the Alfred protocol.

1 Like

Do the words “A Bridge Too Far” mean anything? Maybe it’s just too soon after Heroes in Crisis, Maybe it’s just one too many Deaths in the Family, but I read this and I was just like…whatever.
I didn’t gasp, I didn’t tear up…and the only gulping I did was when I drank down my Starbucks Venti Mocha. The six back issues of Marvel’s G.I. Joe that I bought had had more emotional impact on me than Bane taking Alfred’s life. I’m not going to stop reading the Bat-books over this (or any other DC books for that matter) but I really think the powers that be have over-used their shock value ideas and need to dial back on it all.

5 Likes

@golddragon71: You know, you’re right. Alfred just died and I couldn’t possibly care less. How messed up is that? I thought it was just because I didn’t read the issue, but at least the idea should be getting some kind of reaction out of me.

2 Likes

Eh. In just the last few years Bruce “died”, Damian “died”, Tim “died”. Leslie “died”. Joker “died”. Alfred got his hand chopped off. Dick was shot in the head. Bruce had a cave drop on him. Bruce had every bone in his body broken in JL. Bruce was thought to have “died” in Metal.
The problem is that death in comics is meaningless. Was it Clayface? Hallucinations? Mind control? Alternate Alfred? Skrull? The problem is that I just don’t believe it and if it’s really real by the time King ends this ridiculously long fiasco I will be well past grieving.

2 Likes

Is this the big thing that changes Batman for years to come?

1 Like

As always I’m sure it’s just clayface. With the new Alfred show coming out, they aren’t killing him

1 Like

Look, even if it’s not Tom King, SOMEONE will come along and get rid of this travesty.

2 Likes

A little bit ago, I saw a WhatCultureComics video about “your favorite character” being killed. All I knew is that the cover of #77 featured Gotham Girl, whom I know nothing about, and Flashpoint Batman, whom everyone seems to adore because–okay, I have no freaking idea why. So I click, and they say Alfred.
[sigh]
I didn’t like hearing Leslie died, and I like this even less. I’m not in mourning, I’m not exactly “sad”, but I am still damn tired. I can’t think of any reason to kill off Alfred other than “shock the reader” and “pretend this is going to last”. I’m tired of these stupid, cheap attempts at killing characters, regardless of intention. Maybe it was King’s idea, maybe Didio, I don’t know and I don’t care, because none of this makes me want to jump back onto the Bat titles. Big events! Deaths! Things! Excitement!

4 Likes

I’m good with it being real or a fake out. If it’s real we’ll go 2-5 years with the loss of a critical member of the Bat family, then magic/heroism/whispers to beelzebub will undo it.

1 Like

Why?? Just like why is Tom King is allowed to write for Batman…I thought he got cut off early to avoid dreck like this. Why the sensationalism?? Just write legitimately good arcs that build and build around it vs false headline grabbers like this and that Death of the Family garbage Snyder unleashed onto the world. No grief counseling needed…just do that red herring reveal sooner than later and get off this book.

2 Likes

Things drastic like this and Wally are possible signs of a reboot coming.

1 Like

I thought it was great. If DC actually commits, it could be like when Jason Todd died – a real loss for Bruce with actual long term ramifications. I doubt Alfred stays gone as long as Jason did, but it would be nice if they didn’t hand wave it away too quickly.

1 Like