Batman '66 and Lois & Clark Director Robert Butler has Died

Television director Robert Butler, who directed the pilots to several high profile TV shows, including Star Trek (“The Cage”), Hogan’s Heroes, Moonlighting, and Hill Street Blues, has died. He has a very strong connection to DC, as he directed the pilot for Batman '66 and Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, on which he was also an executive consultant.

8 Likes

DC has a number of Best Director nominations for animated series, but I believe DC’s only live action Best Director Emmy nomination (in seven decades) was for Robert Butler’s work on the Lois & Clark premiere.

He was the director on the very first screen appearances of the Riddler, the Penguin and Mr. Freeze (in Batman 66).

He was the director everyone wanted to get their series off the ground, but he was so in demand that you could never get him for the majority of episodes. He’ll be missed, but not forgotten

8 Likes

Huge bucket of win.

RIP Good Sir!

3 Likes

Here’s a clip of Robert Butler discussing the special guest villains he directed on Batman

Robert Butler discusses guest actors on “Batman” - EMMYTVLEGENDS.ORG - YouTube

4 Likes

I’m so sorry to read this, he directed the first 2 episodes of Batman with the Riddler as a villain, it would be a classic hit. :pensive:

3 Likes

RIP :pray:

4 Likes

and we have lost more comic greatness
I bet comic con in heaven are epic

3 Likes