Batman 1989 (Movie)

It is a swell release, but if you think that transfer (which was the same across all HD releases of Batman, be they physical or digital) is sweet, you must see the 4K edition.

Nothing tops the theatrical presentation, as the resolution of film vastly outdoes that of all home video formats, but the 4K release comes pretty close.

While I love Batman, Batman Forever is the reigning champ when it comes to the 4K releases of the Burton/Schumacher quadrilogy. Its simply a stunning, reference-quality presentation from start to finish.

SN: I don’t have an in-home Dolby Atmos set-up, but if I did, Batman would likely be the first movie I go to, so as to hear the Keatonwing soar overhead as it descends into Gotham.

“Moving on.”

During my latest re-watch of Batman, I pondered something that hadn’t come to mind in nearly 34 years of my familiarity with the movie:

Where are the GCPD while Joker and his men “party” with the Gotham citizenry?

They’re nowhere to be seen as Joker comes down the street, nor are they anywhere to be seen when the Smilex is dispersed.

In fact, you don’t see any Gotham PD until after Gordon and some officers arrive at the wreckage of the Batwing.

Where were they during Joker’s “party”?

He was a known killer and criminal, so its not like the police didn’t know what Joker was all about.

He stole the float and balloons, so he and his men could have been arrested for that…let alone just showing up and tossing cash out to the public, especially when he broadcast he was going to do that on TV days prior (and I don’t think he had a permit for public gatherings, either :wink:).

Alas, no GCPD are readily noticeable until, again, after the Batwing has crashed.

I know Gotham isn’t known for the quality of its police force, but holy legally-deputized peacekeepers Batman, they’re just gone while Joker has his way with the cash-hungry citizens.

3 Likes

I feel like it’s maybe in the novelization that the Joker poisons a bunch of the GCPD, so most of them are out sick for the “action”.

4 Likes

They even included the Monarch Theater. Spiffy!

2 Likes

I should dust off the old school Nintendo and the game to see everything I’ve forgotten. :smile:

2 Likes

3 Likes

xcorn89x

3 Likes

I have that novelization, so I’ll have to re-read it as I don’t remember that, offhand. Of course, I haven’t read it since…well, its been a long time (probably before I was allowed individual entry into R-rated movies, in point of fact).

Still, plot holes in movies shouldn’t have to rely on adaptations to save their momentary, lapse in logic, bacon.

Come on Mr. Hamm, you know better.

SN: School must have been hell for Sam Hamm when it came to namecalling.

“Hey Johnny, what’s for lunch?”

“I’ll have a slice of Sam Hamm, if you please!”

Sam Hamm sits at a nearby table, eating his ham sandwich as he thinks “Just you wait. One day, I’ll write a movie that will make bank, move merch and be talked about 30+ years after its initial release. Decades later after said movie, I’ll write a comic book follow-up to it that falls short, but will still be a worthwhile effort.”

2 Likes

Corn?!
:laughing:

3 Likes

Confirmed. I remember reading that in the novelization as well. Spoiler- Robin also appears in it as well.

3 Likes

Corn kitties! :hugs:

says “Look out kids, its Korn Kitteez, live and in-person!” in his best Gary Owens voice

Gary Owens was a badass.

#SpaceGhostlives

2 Likes

ET’s B-Man89 25th anniversary coverage here:

The kid from Haly’s Circus who lost his folks :00_robin:

3 Likes

Saw it at the time, and will watch it again as the sun rises. Thanks for the share. :superman_hv_4:

SN: I kinda-sorta want to re-read Batman '89 now. IDK though, I’m not that hard-up for an '89 fix, ATM. I think I’ll just listen to the soundtrack again as I noodle around with schtuffs from The Dark Knight Collection.

Speaking off…

Remember that scene in Batman, when Joker wore bright orange, waffle patterned pants and hoisted a big boxing glove in his battle with Batman?

Kenner sure did:

Ah, the ways Kenner could recycle an accessory from their Police Academy line by (not Joker’s first PA reuse, BTW).

SN 2: Remember Kmart?

1 Like

:dancer: :dancer: :dancer:
:00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989: :00_batman_1989:

3 Likes

:smile:

2 Likes

Right? :laughing:

1 Like

How did Keaton wear it best?

Thing 1:

Thing 2:

What’s that? “Michael Keaton’s Batman never used that in either movie, much less wore a black and copper suit in Returns.”, you say?

Use your imagination (and illusion, Guns N’ Roses-style) and creativity, and think outside of what’s on screen! Imagination and creativity…they’re good for ya!

For the record, Keaton rocked it best in the '91 (The Dark Knight Collection) release.

And for the hell of it, let’s finish up The Dark Knight Collection series 2 with the last figure in the series:

IDK…gold weapons are fine things to beat down Mr. J with, but I kind-of prefer the purple look from 1992 instead:

I’m willing to stake a Monopoly fiver on the idea that Batman sang Purple Rain to himself as he beat down the villains with his purple weaponry.

1 Like

:00_batman_1992: :00_batman_1992: :00_batman_1992:

2 Likes

By virtue of purple being in the video for the best Batman movie song not by U2, Thunderwhip Batman’s 1992 release wins the day!

“And purple…oh, I love purple!”

We know which version of Thunderwhip Batman Vicki liked best. Oh yes, we do.

1 Like

More like Thunderwhip

:crown: :purple_circle: :purple_square: :purple_circle: :00_batman_1989: :umbrella:
#PurpleReign

2 Likes

I told you he sings Purple Rain to himself while smacking down the baddies. :smile:

Batman tosses his purple throwing star at Penguin as he sings :notes: “Purple rain!” :notes: to himself.

I have no doubt that kids in 1992 did just that while playing with their Batman Returns Thunderwhip Batman (Not me though, as I didn’t get my Batman Returns Thunderwhip Batman until 2016).

In 1992, this was the guy that was saving the day the Batman Returns way for me:

I feel Guns N’ Roses’ Welcome to the Jungle would pair well with him, as well as this later addition in the Returns line:

Man alive, I loved the scene in Batman Returns when he and Catwoman rumbled in the jungle.

2 Likes