Batman 1989 (Movie)

Doing jack’s make up.

3 Likes

Danny Elfman’s score for this movie is still the best Batman music to date. I love what Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard did with the DK Trilogy, but elfman’s score is still king to me.

8 Likes

I will have to say the 1989 Batman movie is still my favorite. The bat mobile from this movie is my absolute favorite. The Toy Biz action figures to tie in with the had to be the first I remember getting excited about collecting. Still to this day disappointed that henchman Bob has a bread on his figure. As a bonus they used the movie score for the first Lego Batman game.

4 Likes

I liked those toys too. I remember saving allowance for this guy…

6 Likes

One of the best movies I’ve ever seen.

My favorite scene. No idea why.

4 Likes

As a adult I would still love that toy, but the price online for it is too expensive for me.

2 Likes

I was eight years old when this film was released, and I loved it so much. Before this, I’d been a superhero fan, but this film really cemented Batman’s place as one of my all time favorites. I loved it so much, I bought the novelization with my own money and read it. I bought those packs of collectible cards with gum so I could try to collect all the cards, and I hate gum. I bought a copy of the VHS release with my own money (when you’re eight, your earning power is quite limited), I can’t count the number of times I watched it.

3 Likes

A number of years ago my wife got me this book at a flea market. It has some amazing photos and interesting information about the process of making the 1989 Batman movie.

6 Likes

I’m deeply ashamed that I somehow missed this.

2 Likes

I won’t even look then. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve said it once, I’ll say it a million times. Michael Keaton is Legendary. Although I feel Christian Bale truly was the Dark Knight from page to screen perfect transformation. That being said Jack Nicholson’s Joker was a much better comic book transformation of the Joker than Heath Ledger. However I think because of how powerful Heath Ledgers performance was, the comic books chose to transform the Joker to be more like the Dark Knight character we saw on screen.

3 Likes

I’m going to have to look around for a copy of that somewhere.

3 Likes

Thank you for sharing your story. It is great to have people to share their love of this movie.

3 Likes

Some props I’ve turned up online (just the photos of them lol)

Banknote1e_zps55db9dea

Banknote2e_zpsad43a957

Prop money from the parade scene

BatmanPostere_zps16fa06ab

A poster used to dress the Gotham streets set (I THINK they can be spotted in the City Hall steps scene)

4 Likes

@biff_pow those are pretty cool.

4 Likes

You can buy a print of Jack’s wanted poster on ebay for cheap

And a company called NECA is releasing replicas of some of Batman’s gadgets later this year!

4 Likes

Those are some awesome replica’s. I’ll have to check out those prints.

4 Likes

Happy to see this back on dcu.

3 Likes

reviving this thread because i think of something i want to post about the Burtonverse (Earth-89!*) every couple of hours, and inviting my batman '89 sis @DC89

what i’m on today is this artist’s 3d printed recreation of Alicia’s mask (and the very detailed photos of the actual movie prop!)

p.s. i just went back and watched this and i didn’t notice the headline before: does this mean that it’s canon that the Joker survived the fall in Batman '89??? or does “capture” mean “squish” in this universe?

3 Likes

How did I forget that this DCUI thread amazingness was a thing?

6 Likes