Batman 101

Which Batman story follows the killing joke? I want to watch them from beginning to end. And read as much as I possibly can rn

You mean the movies or the comics? I’m not sure the movie is necessarily in-continuity with anything else, but I’ve not really been keeping up with the animated movies. According to TV Tropes, Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders was the next one, which was based on the Adam West Batman show, Justice League Dark was the next more “normal” animated movie (which had Batman in it I’m pretty sure), and there hasn’t been a non-standalone movie specifically about Batman since the Killing Joke.

Comic-wise, I’m not sure about the exact timeline, but if you start right after Batman: Year One, you’ll pretty much be on track. You can skip ahead to A Death in the Family if you don’t really care about Batman and Jason Todd running around doing Batman-and-Robin things and you won’t miss all that much.

Batman: The Killing Joke was originally meant to be a standalone story, but received so much attention that it was incorporated into canon.

If you’d like to follow the conflict between Batman and The Joker, the next major entry is Batman: A Death in the Family, where Joker makes things even more personal.

But if you’d like to see what became of Barbara Gordon, read John Ostrander and Kim Yale’s Suicide Squad, followed by Chuck Dixon’s Birds of Prey.

2 Likes