Bat Cat dialogue

Out of curiosity, am I the only one who hates that Bruce and Selina call each other Bat and Cat? Constantly. I think almost all of the conversations between them read like a middle schooler’s attempt at poetry but there’s just something about Bat/Cat that is grating. If I had to sit next to them on a plane I think I would lose my mind.

6 Likes

You are definitely not the only one. The dialogue in King’s Batman is grating. Its like he’s trying to write them as playful, but it’s just so obnoxious to read.

He’s had great character interactions in other books in the past, why is it so hard for him to write Batman and Catwoman?

3 Likes

I’m quite fond of it, personally, but you’ll certainly find plenty of people to agree with you.

4 Likes

I don’t love it, but honestly, I find the fan complaints about it far, far more annoying.

1 Like

Zing

I dig it!

1 Like

I generally like it but I can see why it bugs people. It does bug me that this style of talking never existed before King’s run, so it feels a little out of place. Maybe if it was introduced slowly instead of the default?

It never bothered me. Most couples have pet names for each other, so why shouldn’t super heroes?

2 Likes

I’d be find with it if they didn’t constantly call each other that. Every once in a while is ok but it’s all the time.

1 Like

Batman 78 just drives the point home on how much I haven’t enjoyed Tom King’s run. No more poems, no more stilted choppy dialogue, and his pacing really bugs me. Can’t wait for a new writer to take over.

3 Likes

The pet name thing makes sense but I think it’s the frequency that grates on me. I guess it’s hard for me to verbalize but it just feels forced to me. When Lois says “Smallville” it just feels organic. There’s playfulness, history, love, and when it’s used you feel the meaning.

4 Likes

See, now I find Lois Lane’s “Smallville” nickname for Clark quite grating. You’re never going to make everyone happy. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I hate it I HATE IT

I think it’s ok when they’re in costume or alone in an intimate setting, but when they’re out in public at the beach or in a restaurant it just feels ridiculous

Big fan of Kings run.

1 Like

I don’t mind it just because from a historical view, she entered DC comics as the “Cat” before they finally named her Catwoman.