ATTN WRITERS: Who Would Be Your Ideal Character To Write For?

If you’re a writer like me, then I’m sure you’ve daydreamed about one day writing for DC Comics.

Whether it’s an ongoing series, a graphic novel, a TV show, or a feature film, share with the class what stories your heart is aching to tell.

This is not a submissions post. Just curious what makes my writer colleagues tick.

Here are a few of my dream projects to start.

Film: Booster Gold (I even have a rough script that I play with from time to time)

TV: Dial H

Ongoing Comic: Superman, Shazam, or Green Arrow

Side Note: Does DC still have their writing program for aspiring writers?

9 Likes

TV Show: Hitman

Film: Collapser

Comic: Vibe

6 Likes

I’d want to see this as a prestige limited series. Someone get HBO Max on the phone!

6 Likes

I’ll get the funding lol

6 Likes

From what I’ve read, it’s been dormant for the last four years. I think Snyder has said he’d like to do it again, but no word on whether it’s happening, unfortunately.

The Spectre (obviously :wink:) Film, TV or comic, but I’d really love to see a live action version of the character, so I’d rather do Film/TV.

I’d also love to tackle Hawkman. Years ago I started writing my own Carter Hall miniseries for fun. I petered out on it after an issue. I wish I still had it to go back and read, but lost it when I switched computers back then, sadly.

7 Likes

I’d be the first in line!

And yes! Totally need more Spectre. What did you think of the animated short? I really dug the grindhouse movie aesthetic. It was an interesting choice that I wouldn’t have thought of.

6 Likes

Justice Society

7 Likes

I’d never heard of Collapser, so I looked it up. After reading the first issue, I really like it. I know this wasn’t the point of the thread, but thanks for mentioning it. I may never have seen it.

8 Likes

yeah! it was my favorite series for a while! welcome to the community btw @Dr.Criminale !

8 Likes

It was a part of the Young Animal imprint, which explored lots of emotional and existential themes in the most beautifully bizarre way possible!

7 Likes

Believe it or not, I wasn’t aware of this till you mentioned it here. I saw “Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths,” but not until DCU and the short wasn’t there. I tracked it down last night, pretty good. It’s creepy as hell. I loved it, thanks for brining it to my attention. I feel shame, cause I should have known about it all along. Lol!

6 Likes

It’s a hidden gem, for sure. It was part of a collection of shorts (Jonah Hex, Green Arrow, Etc.) that was included on the Superman/Shazam DVD and Blu-Ray.

Looks like DC is still making them. Wish they were easier to find and watch!

6 Likes

I agree, when you watch it, you realize, that’s a great way to go for a live action Spectre. I actually went back and rewatched it just now, cause I loved it so much, I have the Blu Ray coming, Lol! It really would lend it’s self to a police procedural series on HBOMax, Hello Warners/AT&T!

DC Animation should have continued doing the “Showcase” shorts.

6 Likes

If given the opportunity I feel I could write a good Red Hood or Huntress story. Not necessarily my favorite characters but the ones where I see an opportunity for interesting fresh stories.

6 Likes

Ongoing Comic Series: Batman (oh, the things I could do with Batman)

Comic Maxi Series: Reverse-Flash

TV Show: Injustice (though admittedly I’d pretty much just copy/paste the entire comic starting with Year 0 and ending with the 2nd game’s finale)

Movie: Batman Beyond (I’ve actually outlined a script just for the fun of it)

5 Likes

To expand a bit:

Ongoing: Red Hood solo. Fleischer Studios’ Trinity.

Miniseries: Harvey Bullock, or Elseworlds Huntress (hunting vampires in 19th c Europe)

TV Show: “The Legion”- a workcom starring Lex Luthor in his struggle to keep the Legion of Doom together

Movie: Green Arrow

6 Likes

Some good ideas here, I’m listening… :smile:

5 Likes

I mean the first is, essentially a continuation of Max Fleischer’s Superman to include adventures with Wonder Woman and Batman, mimicking the art style and storytelling of those classic cartoons.

The second, I picture Helena traveling through a gothic horror 19th century Europe tracking a family of vampires that killed her own family (with lots of cameos from other characters- Black Canary as an opera singer! Hal Jordan as a balloonist!)

The Legion, is basically an extended version of this Cartoon Network bumper, mixed with The Office.

6 Likes

Yes, that’s what I imagined. A continuation of the “Fleischer Studios” cartoons would be very cool. And, I figured, “The Legion” was a take on “The Office,” but Lex is Steve Carell, the video you posted is funny, but I’d want it to be live action.

5 Likes

Exactly! With the main switch being, instead of the boss being an immature manchild, Lex is the most sane man on the team and has to deal with shenanigans like Captain Cold and Mr. Freeze arguing the other was cramping his style, Count Vertigo getting hay fever from Cheetah or Grodd’s fur, etc.

I have entirely too many ridiculous ideas in my brain.

6 Likes