ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Oh, nice! :sunglasses: :+1:

That’s very interesting that they each had their own timeline to work with. Looks like I shall be diving more into them come our transition to our Infinite Universe soon. :grin:

And thank you Mr. Jim Lee! :clark_hv_4:

1 Like

This is an allusion to the MILLENNIUM crossover storyline, which for the most part has yet to be digitized. But part of the storyline was supporting characters in a number of DC titles either were Manhunter sleeper agents the whole time, or were replaced by Manhunter duplicates. Though most of the Manhunters across each of DC’s titles at the time were true sleeper agents, the highest profile characters like Gordon (a robot duplicate) and Lana (mind-controlled) weren’t truly counted among them.

Someone who really was a Manhunter, though: Rudy West, Wally West’s dad.

3 Likes

Thank you

2 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Why aren’t there more appearances of Harley Quinn’s singing voice

2 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion,
Yesterday I was looking at Superboy comics from the 90s, Whatever happen to him? Was he ever part of 52 and Rebirth? Thankyou.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve answered this as part of a different question in the past, but Conner Kent, the Superboy we know from the Pre-Flashpoint era, sat out The New 52. He was instead replaced by Jonathan Lane Kent, a clone of Superman and Lois’s son from an alternate future. Conner finally returned to comics in 2018, in Brian Michael Bendis’s YOUNG JUSTICE – where we discover he spent the entirety of the New 52 stranded on Gemworld.

4 Likes

@Reaganfan78 Superboy does have a collection call Superboy trouble in paradise book one. I am still waiting on book two because we need that in our world today some 90s goodness!

2 Likes

@HubCityQuestion what are your thoughts on the upcoming Future State storyline? Also, how was your Christmas and New Year? One last question will we ever get a Superboy book two for the masses!

3 Likes
  1. Future State will be an interesting look ahead for creative teams tackling particular characters which DC intends to pursue into the future! Just as Flashpoint was a proving ground for a bunch of concepts that immediately or eventually found root in The New 52, so too will Future State act for the forthcoming “Infinite Frontier.”
  2. Very nice, thank you! I recently moved to New York City, and have been acclimating well.
  3. I think so, yeah! Couldn’t tell you when, though.
3 Likes

Are you about to rename yourself “NewYorkCityQuestion”? Is the crime there even worse than Hub City?

1 Like

Physically I’m in New York. Mentally I’m always in Hub City.

7 Likes

yes. check out vengence of Bane#1

1 Like

Watchin’ all the chaos in our nation’s capital today. If there was ever a time to disappear into the world of comics …

While watching WW84 again, I was reminded of a Justice League adventure of almost 20 years ago. The particulars escape me. But it resulted in various versions of the League being formed around the active members at that time. Creating a JL of Atlantis, of Aliens, of Amazons, etc. etc. The overall story ran over several issues and was and interesting take on the original team premise.

Similarly, it was another take on this unofficial “team” from the Fury 2 parter on the animated JL series in 2002, that got me to wondering about something. Before Birds of Prey brought female teamwork into prominence and popularity, what other “all gal” teams (if any) have existed within the DCU?

Stay safe, be well.

PS - Used to live next door, in Jersey for over 20 years. Spent more than my fair share of weekends in the “Big Apple.” Even visiting the DC offices, a time or two. How ya likin’ it?

6 Likes

Hi, Wrightline! New York is quite nice! The storyline you’re thinking of is JUSTICE LEAGUES, this special event series from 2001.

As for all female teams who predate the Birds of Prey, Darkseid’s Female Furies come to mind, as featured in 1971’s MISTER MIRACLE. But in terms of in-universe chronology, at least, I’d recommend checking out 2000’s STARMAN #69, a tale of the JSA’s significant others suiting up and teaming up as their costumed counterparts.

5 Likes

Thanks! I’ll just do that.

3 Likes

You’re not dreaming – one of the recurring themes of the Superman title throughout the Golden Age wasn’t just his super strength, but the fine control that he had over each of his individual muscles. This allowed him not just to interact with every day objects without obliterating them, but also allowed him to contort his vocal chords to project and imitate voices (or, as he called it, “super ventriloquism.”) Such was the case as well for contorting his face muscles to take on an alternate appearance, at least in one early story. In 1947’s SUPERMAN #45, “The Case of the Living Trophies,” Superman contorts his face to blend in with the Collectors, an alien race which arrives on Earth to abduct the most impressive specimens that humankind has to offer. (This issue is currently unavailable on DCU, but as you know, the archives are updated all the time.)

Like Super-Ventriloquism, though, this power is something that never made a comeback. Back in those early years, the limits of Superman’s powers were still being tested, and had yet to be codified. Some enterprising Morrisonesque writer seeking a throwback to that era may resurrect it someday, perhaps, but in the meantime we haven’t seen anything like it – that is, apart from the idea that Superman vibrates his molecules so that he doesn’t photograph clearly, thereby keeping him from being publicly identified too easily with Clark Kent. That invention comes from the John Byrne run on Superman in the Post-Crisis era.

7 Likes

Well hello there once more HCQ. :wave: :sunglasses:

Hope that you are well and enjoy your weekend. :smiley:

Speaking of Superman in your above answer… There is an inquiry I thought of also pertaining to the Man of Steel. :clark_hv_4:

After the destruction of Krypton, has Kal-El ever had the opportunity (given time travel, or maybe even multiverse travel or some other way) of meeting his mother Lara?

This is the only time I am aware of that has happened: Smallville season 7 even though that was more of a clone of Lara than actually being Lara. :thinking:

Thank you as always for what you do with each inquiry we can place upon your desk. :superman_hv_4:

2 Likes

Your answer to @TornadoSoup reminded me of those “outside the norm” powers that were occasionally shown in the Adventures of Superman tv series, as well. In 3 consecutive 1958 episodes, in Season 6, such powers are on display. The Mysterious Cube showcases a Flash-like ability to pass through an amazingly dense artificial substance, designed to keep him out. In The Magic Secret, Superman not only levitates Lois Lane, but turns her body rock hard in the process. And finally, in Divide and Conquer, by sheer force of will, he separates the atoms of his body, and creates another Superman. Both, now half as powerful as the original. Fun stories, in what would turn out to be, the final season.

Interestingly enough, a few months later. Red Kryptonite would debut in the Sept '58 issue of Adventure Comics. Showcasing unusual, temporary changes and abilities to the Man of Steel. Query, sir. I remember 5 variations of Kryptonite were in existence during the pre-Crisis days. Green, Red, Gold, White and Blue. How many of them are still relevant today, in the new DCU?

Stay safe, be well.

4 Likes

Well, the secret of Death Metal, I should say, is that they’re now ALL relevant! In fact, everything is. As of the conclusion of the most recent event, every character now recalls their entire publication history. Nothing is non-canon.

4 Likes