ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Scanning back over more old postings, seeking inspiration for challenging queries to throw your way, I discovered this. An interesting (if perhaps not altogether serious) query about Thanagarians being born from eggs? Said post provided on Nov 16th by @MatthewHecht. Couldn’t help but smile at this one. Until I actually gave it some thought. And while I don’t think eggs (other than those of ovarian in nature) apply to the humanoids of Thanagar regarding their births, there is (or was) a hero to whom such a birth may indeed apply.

Back in '83, in All-Star Squadron #25, Roy Thomas first introduced his Infinity Inc, concept and team to the world. Among them was a very likable (if oddly origined) young man named Norda. Son of anthropoligist Fred Cantrell and a bird-woman of the Fitherans. A strange race of Bird people, who first appeared with the Golden Age Hawkman back in the 40’s. Make a long story short, Fred fell in love with one of the feathered-beak women, and who (in a manner known only to them), conceived and gave birth to Norda, aka Northwind.

So, while the “chicken or the egg” conundrum may be with us for quite some time to come, I’m going out on a limb here. I think, in all probability, Norda is more than likely DC’s first (and only?) “egg in a nest” born hero. For the sake of simplicity, let’s leave members of the Green Lantern Corp, outta’ this. What say you HCQ?

Stay safe, be well

2 Likes

Barbara Gordan: did they ever consider just throwing her into a Lazarus Pit? I mean it gives Black canary back both her cry and ability to have children (at least in kingdom come) yet we cant magic Barbra up and let New earth Babs have kids with Nightwing (they get married on may 6th 2015 Publish date of Convergence: Nightwing/Oracle) yet Babara gets to remain in a wheelchair or require implants to walk and be batgirl…then again when it comes to the batfamily…

this thought hit me well reading death metal: Last days of the DC universe.

3 Likes

Here’s a weird one: the second Legends of the Superheroes special - The Roast - includes an appearance by Hawkman’s mother with about as many bird jokes as Carter’s had retcons. Have we ever seen Hawkman’s mother in comics? Has there ever been any acknowledgment of that rendition of her outside of the special? And while were at it: have any of the special’s other original characters appeared elsewhere - Rhonda Rooter, Ghetto Man, Scarlet Cyclone, etc.?

3 Likes

How many times has Harvey Dent become Two Face in different ways?

Which Batman villain has the most kill count?

How many villains does Batman have?

Does crime stop in Gotham for some time?

3 Likes

Already answered this one for you!

https://www.dcuniverse.com/news/ask-question-how-many-villains-does-batman-have-total/

3 Likes

What about my other questions.

1 Like

I’ll put them on the list!

3 Likes

Probably The Batman Who Laughs, who goes out of his way to destroy entire universes.

3 Likes

There’s daily crime in most regular cities, let alone Gotham. But in the future of Kingdom Come, Batman transforms Gotham into an authoritarian city-state where all crime has been eradicated.

4 Likes

A bit of sad news crossed my path earlier this evening. On Dec 2nd, Richard Corben passed away. Many of you younger fans may not know the name. But to most of the rest of us, he was a master of visual imagery in the business. Coming up thru the “undergrounds” and fanzines of the day, he honed his craft and created an artistic resume second to none! Even publishing his own title, Fangoria, for a while. He worked his way up to many of the top drawer production houses in the 70’s an 80’s.

Warren publications was chief among them. Eerie, Creepy, and Vampirella titles all displayed his art and unique style. I don’t know if he was a fan of Russ Meyer or not. But his women would have been right at home in any of Meyer’s films. And just as Alex Ross makes me think of James Bama’s work. Rich Corben has his own emulators. Much of his last work appearing in a little title called Heavy Metal. He was 80 when he died. But like many other masters in the field, his name and body of work, will be long remembered after him. Condolences to his family.

Stay safe, and be well.

5 Likes

A true comics icon. He will be missed.

5 Likes

The new column has arrived! Thank you to @wrightline1.42741, @TinselSoup, and @MiscellaneousSoup for this week’s questions.

And now, “ASK… THE QUESTION” enters a holiday break. The column will return in a new and exciting way in 2021! In the meantime, I may periodically address some of your queries here.

7 Likes

HCQ,

Thanks for the columns and have a Happy New Year!!!

4 Likes

A well deserved break for all the answers to the many inquires thrown your way HCQ! :sunglasses: :+1:

And speaking of some inquires while waiting for the new and equally exciting way in 2021… :grin:

The continuation from last time! :smile:

However… Before I toss my inquires at you… An inquiry from Applejack! :woman_red_haired:

Now… Ah yes, let’s dive back into the Crisis on Infinite Earths inquiry… Might be getting into the habit of checking into this crisis around this time from now on… Thank you Arrowverse. :smile:

In the fine article you wrote back in February, there was a nice list of comics to read immediately after the crisis. So the inquiry is…

What stories would you recommend reading immediately before Crisis on Infinite Earths? A prequel, if you will, for the eventual waves to be felt by this crisis? :thinking:

Next… Ah, how about the one for Red Hood, since another sometimes red hooded figure will be out and about in a week. :santa: :superman_hv_4:

After the events of A Death in the Family and Under the Red Hood, have Red Hood and Nightwing worked together at all? Has Red Hood even worked with Tim Drake’s Robin, or now Damian’s Robin? I’d imagine that it could be… Quite awkward… For everyone… :flushed: :sweat_smile:

Well… That seems like a full plate for you now HCQ so I’ll get back to you on that timelines inquiry in the new timeline year of 2021. :clock12: :confetti_ball:

Thank you again for fielding these inquires! As for the rest of those future inquires… To be continued… Again! :clark_hv_4:

2 Likes

Thanks for the end of year shout out, in your 2020 closing column, sir. As usual, your coverage of Waller and Bones “testy at times” working relationship, was exemplary! Thanks. And if I can go back to my earlier commentary on Bob Kane, for a moment. An important update, I think, to better flesh out his story. While the lion’s share of Batman’s memorable building blocks and characters are truly from the Bill Finger side of that “partnership,” other things that came later, are I believe, solely Kane creations.

We’ve all seen numerous animated portrayals of Batman & Robin for a good many years now. From the Filmation days of the Super-Friends, up to the superb computer animated version in Beware the Batman. But few I suspect, are aware that the earliest televised version of the Dynamic Duo appeared back in 1960. Bob Kane (apparently testing the waters for a tv audience), in partnership with Tele-Features, Inc. brought the Caped Crusaders to young daytime viewers (like myself) as a couple of costumed anthropomorphic crime fighters. Enter Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse.

With a cool jazz soundtrack, Cat & Mouse were off to save the day, in all of 5 minutes. Operating out of their (not so secret) Cat-cave, with their multi-purpose supercharged Catmobile (sub or plane, as needed) and his incredible array of Cat-guns, they took on all threats to their beloved Empire City! The Felonious Frog, Rodney Rodent, the Great Hambone, Robber Rabbit and many others would all fall before our heroes. Whatta hoot! Rediscovering them again, after more than 50 years, I just had to share this bit of trivia with you Bat-fans out there. DVD versions of the series are available on ebay, for those who might wish to add them to their collections.

And on that note, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, to all. See you in 2021.

Stay safe and be well.

4 Likes

Top 10 Cats and dogs, not counting Hanna-Barbera crossovers and the like. Order of preference by me.

CATS 

Alley-Kat-Abra
Merlin, Baron Winters' pet leopard
Prince Tuftan, ally of Kamandi
Streaky
Alfred, Damian's cat
Tawky Tawny
Teekl
Dex-Starr
Selina's newborn kitten in Tom King's BATMAN ANNUAL #2
Miss Kitty, Selina's cat in Batman Returns
DOGS

Marvin & Wendy's "Wonder Dog"
Pooch, The Losers' dog
Dawg, Lobo's dog
Titus, Damian's dog
Dr. Canus, mentor to Kamandi
Krypto the Superdog
Ace the Bat-Hound
"Dog," Jason Todd's dog
Aquadog
Rex the Wonder Dog
2 Likes

The season 2 finale of Lois & Clark aired in May, 1995. The debut of Black Suit Superman was 2 years earlier, in Action Comics #689, 1993. So, no spoiler – just a reference to the Return of Superman arc, which actually outsold Death of Superman!

2 Likes

Everything I know is wrong.

1 Like

As members of the Seven Soldiers of Victory, Pat Dugan and Sylvester Pemberton, the original Star-Spangled Kid, were scattered across time after an encounter with the villain Nebula Man. Eventually, the Justice League brought Pat, Sy, and the rest of the Seven Soldiers to the present day, and so Pat had missed a number of decades since the 1940s (see: JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA (1960) #100-102). Adjusting to future shock took time, but Pat eventually settled down to his new life in Blue Valley, and the rest is history.

4 Likes

As of DOOMSDAY CLOCK, Creeper has been taking advantage of Black Adam’s amnesty policy towards metahumans and hanging out in Kahndaq.

3 Likes