ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Ohhhhhhhhh. That’s why there are “Part 2” threads.

You answered a question I had, but didn’t ask. Well played.

7 Likes

In current continuity how long can a Green Lantern’s construct last?

2 Likes

I remember being amazed (for lack of a better word), at the carnage that Black Adam unleashed on an assemblage of heroes, as his grief played out over the death of his beloved bride ISIS, some years ago. But, that pales in comparison to the wholesale slaughter, caused by a mentally unstable (to be kind), Superboy Prime, as he took down any, and all who opposed him. Overpowering even Mr. Mxyzptlk (c’mon, really?) which I think was another “jump the shark” moment" for me, anyway. But it did make me wonder about a hypothetical face-off (which DC may yet find a way to make happen), and that is How well would the overpowered, dimension busting, multiverse altering, mass murderer do, against the master of molecule manipulation, Dr. Manhattan? Who (as we all know), likewise took down DC’s mightiest, with very little effort, by comparison. Any opinion on that, good sir? :thinking:

2 Likes

Sorry, I forgot to come back and thank you for the all information. That really helps me out.

If the current title of Black Orchid is still with Alba Garcia, where was her last known whereabouts? Is she still with JLD? Was there any issues of her in the rebirth era that you know of?

4 Likes

The rules are constantly changing, but most recent data suggests until the ring runs out of power. That’s 24 hours passively, less if being used actively.

Probably not well at all, I’d reckon! The whole point of Doctor Manhattan is that he’s unbeatable. Usually the edge Black Adam has over characters like Superman is that his powers are derived from magic. But in Doomsday Clock, Dr. Osterman demonstrated that wasn’t an issue for him.

She’s around, but not with the JLD. These days when she shows up it’s usually as a background cameo in the Oblivion Bar, or other gathering spots for mystic heroes. She made minor cameos in that capacity throughout the 2018 JLD series, but nothing substantial.

4 Likes

Thanks.

2 Likes

I should add a construct might also dissipate if the Lantern who generated it loses focus, but I assumed you were asking about ideal circumstances.

3 Likes

Yes I was. Stuff like if they patch a damaged ship how long does the crew have to get a permanent solution.

3 Likes

Theoretically, if the Lantern has their battery with them to keep their ring from losing power, indefinitely. They just have to make sure they don’t hit zero.

4 Likes

Yes, but if that is the case they can probably also just move the ship to safety instead of spending eternity fixing it. Not to mention some like Sinestro would just decide all those deaths are not worth that much time and leave.

5 Likes

I just read about how Superman has this bio-electric aura that protects himself (and his clothes?) from getting damaged. Additionally he “extends” it around objects and people so the physics of it all doesn’t destroy whatever/whomever he is trying to save.

Ok fine. So what’s everyone else’s explanation for indestructible clothes and being able to catch buildings, airplanes, small moons, etc.? There are dozens of Superman-like characters doing Superman-like things, right?

I’m not one of those people who demands explanations for everything but IMO this never needed an explanation. It always fell under the standard suspension of disbelief for me and I thought most people.

4 Likes

Thank you HCQ!

4 Likes

I agree it’s a suspension of disbelief factor. That’s why most Superman writers don’t bother with the bioelectric field explanation. When it comes up, it’s usually in comics solely focused on Superman to the exclusion of the rest of the universe, such as All-Star Superman. It’s there for Superman stories, which don’t necessarily always consider the rules of the entire DCU — the same way you have to suspend the idea that most superheroes would easily solve most of Batman’s problems in Gotham if he called them in.

6 Likes

But which of them could truly heal the broken little boy inside?

4 Likes

Psycho Pirate? I mean, he can’t be trusted. But technically?

5 Likes

True on both counts. But does he qualify for @HubCityQuestion’s scope of “most superheroes”?

3 Likes

Nah. Doesn’t. Sorry Bruce.

4 Likes

I’d say an earnest series of sessions with the Lasso of Truth would do him some good.

4 Likes

I’d say “this story needs to happen” … but then we’d have a healthy, well adjusted Bruce and no more Batman stories. :frowning: Maybe just before the next Crisis?

3 Likes

I wonder if when he is healed, then will he heal all the others, such as Nightwing, the various robins, signal and others.

1 Like