ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

I know Collapser isn’t really in any comics other than his solo title, so this is more hypothetical. Could Sideways open a rift into Collapser’s black hole?

Literally everything we know about Collapser is in those 6 issues of Collapser. But considering Sideways can use his powers to travel through the Dark Multiverse, I don’t see that, hypothetically, any plane of space within the DC omniverse would be barred from him. We have no reason to believe he couldn’t.

4 Likes

Cool! Thanks HCQ!

1 Like

Once again, our free press reminds us (as they should), of the debt our nation owes to our veterans of World War 2. As we pay tribute to them on D-Day 2024. So many things in my mind, turning over about that. Those vets who were still able to make the journey abroad, are being honored by grateful nations they helped free from Nazi tyranny. Among them, a few surviving medics. Some of the bravest of the brave. They went into combat armed only with medical kits. Their mission, save lives from the meat grinder of war, designed to take them. They and those who followed in the M.A.S.H. units of the oft forgotten Korean War, are now and will always be, among some of America’s best. I salute them all. :us:

I suppose a comics related question would be appropriate about now. So here goes. Have we seen any more of Mlle. Marie’s adult son (presumed to be Frank Rock, Jr) since he debuted in Legacies, back in 2011? .

2 Likes

Not on panel, but he is mentioned. Frank Rock’s son, unnamed, had a son of his own and later himself died in action serving with the US military. Frank’s grandson, Joseph Rock, enlists in the military as a young man and serves as the main character of the short-lived 2011 series Men of War. We have not seen Joseph again since the series’ conclusion in 2012.

I should note that we don’t know for sure whether this version of Frank Rock’s son can claim Mademoiselle Marie’s parentage, as a major continuity reboot occurred between Legacies and the New 52 Sgt. Rock series, but one may reasonably extrapolate that fact as I just have.

3 Likes

Hey HCQ! Besides Vigilante: Southland, has Donny Fairchild had any appearances? If so, where?

2 Likes

I wish I had a more interesting answer for you, but no. Fairchild’s Vigilante miniseries was canceled before it could even finish out its short run due to historically low sales, and had to be completed only in trade paperback form. We haven’t seen him anywhere since, and you can probably extrapolate why.

3 Likes

Nards!

First, I have to figure out what extrapolate means…

Oh indeed I can!

3 Likes

New column is up

Questions answered for @moonknightrider2.98991 @keath @mojaka @Jadzia

3 Likes

Hey, @HubCityQuestion – I really didn’t really mean that as a “challenge”! Sorry if it came off that way. I was honestly curious because I had presumed that they were portrayed as married back in the early Golden Age, and had these (false) memories of reading such stories, but couldn’t find evidence of them.

Thanks for taking the time to provide the definitive, summary answer, though!

4 Likes

Hello, Question Askers. We have some news to discuss. The DC community board will be closing in August, with a brand new official Discord channel taking its place in July. So what does that mean for ASK…THE QUESTION?

Well, here is the state of affairs: I will continue to be right here, answering your questions about all things in the DC Universe until the day the doors lock. But if you would join me on that Discord channel, I’m glad to say the ATQ you know and love will also be continuing there in its own dedicated section. It’s been a pleasure serving you these many years, and I hope to have the opportunity to continue doing so for many more years to come!

12 Likes

Hi HCQ, I’m wanting to do some research on Black Orchid. I got her bio from fandom but can you point me in the direction of some avail online comics in the DC library I can read. Her book Black Orchid mini isn’t avail to me. What other source material can I read about her? I’m trying to get a feel for her personality and use of The Green, etc.

4 Likes

The first thing you’ve got to know is that there have been four major incarnations of Black Orchid through the years: Susan Linden, Flora Black, “Suzy,” and Alba Garcia.

Unfortunately, not much material with Susan Linden is available on DCUI, with most of it having run in undigitized Pre-Crisis issues of Adventure Comics and Phantom Stranger. There’s Super Friends #31, 1985’s Blue Devil Annual #1, and issues 4, 7, 11-12, 19, and 22 of the Ostrander/Yale Suicide Squad run. You can also read her full bio in Who’s Who #3.

Infamously, Susan Linden dies in Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean’s Black Orchid #1. Based on your comments, I’m going to assume you’re not an Ultra subscriber – which is a shame, because the two most essential incarnations of Black Orchid, Flora Black and Susan’s successor “Suzy,” can mainly be found in Vertigo titles which you don’t have access to. Flora does make some guest appearances in Swamp Thing #132 and #139, and that’s the most I can help you there. Suzy doesn’t make many non-Vertigo appearances either, with the most you’ll get of her outside that context in Justice League of Amazons, Birds of Prey #110, and a minor scattered role through Kurt Busiek’s Trinity. To really understand Flora and Suzy, you’re gonna have to read the two Vertigo Black Orchid volumes available on the Ultra tier.

Finally, there’s the modern Black Orchid, Alba Garcia – introduced with The New 52, and the recipient of a government experiment to harness both The Red and The Green. She mainly appears in the first volume of Justice League Dark, and the Animal Man/Swamp Thing Rotworld crossover.

5 Likes

If a woodchuck chucks, and we don’t talk about Bruno, how much Kryptonite does take to make a Daximite dimebag?

1 Like

Trick question. There’s no such thing as a Daximite.

3 Likes

Darn it.

1 Like

Hey @HubCityQuestion :0_the_question_jlu:,
It’s your friendly neighborhood Reaganfan78, when you first made this thread, did you ever thought it would reach this many post and hope it would reach 10000 post? :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I did hope it might reach 10,000 posts someday, yeah. We never quite got there, but we had a pretty good run. It’s the quality, not the quantity, of posts that matters. I’ll be glad to continue ATQ in the Discord era to come.

5 Likes

I nominate @MatthewHecht to track when we make up the difference between the final post count and 10k–in addition to discord messages.

3 Likes

Well, it’s moot now. The significance of 10K is that threads here automatically lock after they get that high. Now we can keep going forever.

4 Likes