ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

I’m afraid this is a case of J. Michael Straczysnki sowing seeds for a future story that he wouldn’t get to tell. Such was the nature of many stories from early to mid-2011, as the decks were abruptly cleared for The New 52.

2 Likes

Aw alright. As always, thanks for the answer, HCQ!

2 Likes

While recently enjoying the first appearance of Morgaine Le Fey in the animated world of the DCU, I got to wondering, which version of her is lurking about, in the oft rebooted, mystic shadows of said universe, today? And, has Sir Justin, the Shining Knight ever faced her sorceress power, in modern times?

Got a bit of trivia for you, which you may (or may not) have already been aware of. I had forgotten (until a YouTube piece on Captain America was playing), but then remembered, it was amazingly coincidental, that both the Shining Knight and the Viking Prince, both suffered from the same frozen fate, before being revived (separately) in the 1940s. The Prince, was also an early tie-in to the ancient gods of Asgard. Who, unfortunately took a back seat to the gods of Olympus, (thanks to Wonder Woman) for many many decades. Popping up every now and then. And rarely in prominent roles. Anyway, ‘preciate your time sir! I’ll be talkin’ atcha! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Morgaine le Fey hasn’t been around too much lately, but I’m unsure what you mean when you ask which “version” of her is around. She’s the same Morgaine le Fey that she’s always been. She appeared most recently in a minor role during Scott Snyder’s Justice League work between 2018 and 2019, as a member of the Council of Immortals.

To your second question, Rick Veitch and Tom Yeates gave us the first documented conflict between Shining Knight and le Fey in 1989’s Swamp Thing #87, taking our hero back in time to the age of Camelot. They’re also seen in conflict in more time travel adventures to Camelot in 1991’s Superman #55, 2005’s Justice League Unlimited #9, 2009’s Justice League of America 80 Page Giant, 2010’s DC Universe Legacies #7, and in the early 11th century against Sir Justin’s counterpart Sir Ystin in the 2011 Demon Knights series. But they have never crossed paths in the modern day.

3 Likes

Thanks for the updates on Justin/Le Fey conflicts over the years (or is that centuries?) Some I was aware of, others, not. The reboots, rebirths and whatnot in DC’s recent history has often affected players both major and minor in the DCU. I didn’t know what or if, Le Fey had been touched by any such changes, or not. THANKS!

2 Likes

You’re welcome! Yeah, Le Fey’s always been pretty consistent, appearances in books like Camelot 3000 and Fables notwithstanding.

3 Likes

Speaking of Morgaine Le Fey, what about her sister, Madame Xanadu?
I have been surprised in recent years to see this connection.
When did Madame Xanadu become part of Arthurian legend?
Also, when did she become blind? And then not blind?

2 Likes

For 30 years, Madame Xanadu’s origins were long kept a mystery, until they were finally explored in the 2008 Madame Xanadu series, opening in the age of Camelot and exploring her past up to the present day. She was blinded by The Spectre in 2005’s Day of Vengeance during his crusade against magic, but had her sight returned to her after the events of 2011’s Flashpoint.

3 Likes

I saw that (during my absence from the thread) you addressed the oft-repeated but untrue assertion that Bruce Wayne does nothing good for Gotham with his money other than fund his Bat-crusade. Are there any other common misconceptions about DC characters like that?

2 Likes

Yes. I’m working on a book about it.

4 Likes

Ooh, very cool!

1 Like

I recently avoided getting into an argument with an online friend when I conflated Hyathis with Zazzala, the Queen Bee. Thanks to online resources I quickly realized they were two different characters. but that started me thinking about Hyathis. When we first met her she was captured and imprisoned by the JLA on a meteor planet with her rivals, including Kanjar Ro. Kanjar escaped the “escape proof” planet, and later so did Hyathis. Did Kromm or Sayyar ever get off? If so, what are they up to in the DCU these days?

3 Likes

Not within Pre-Crisis continuity, but in the longer view of time, eventually. After Showcase #102-103, Kromm and Sayyar next appeared in the 2000 “Silver Age” event. But as that was set in the past, one could easily say those events took place before their imprisonment. Between Crisis and Flashpoint, Kromm and Sayyar made no other modern day appearances, apart from the 2000 Creature Commandos series – but those were counterparts to the Kromm and Sayyar we’ve met from an alternate universe.

Kromm and Sayyar finally made their return in earnest in 2014’s Green Lantern Corps Annual #2, where they joined forces in hunting down Kanjar Ro and selling him into slavery as vengeance for his treachery.

Since achieving their revenge, the two have gone their separate ways. Sayyar has since only appeared in a most likely non-canonical team-up with Kanjar Ro in 2014’s Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman #14-15 against Wonder Woman, Supergirl, and Mary Marvel. Kromm would only return in 2019’s The Green Lantern #3, in a small cameo as one of the prospective bidders for a planet on the black market.

Both can be assumed at large.

4 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion, :0_the_question_jlu:,
Few days ago I was watching the episode of Superman The Animated Series ‘World’s Finest.’ I’m suprise that I never thought of this, when did Superman first meet the Joker, and will also throw this in, when did Batman first meet Lex Luthor? Thankyou.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The answer to both questions is the same – 1957’s World’s Finest Comics #88. It’s here that Luthor and Joker team up for the first time, taking on both their adversaries at once.

That’s in terms of publication. Within the fiction of the DC universe, the first time Superman encounters the Joker is shown in 2014’s Adventures of Superman #40-41. Likewise, the story of Batman’s first encounter with Luthor is the subject of the first story arc of 2006’s Batman Confidential, “Rules of Engagement.”

5 Likes

Thankyou, can’t wait to read it! :smiley:

3 Likes

Was it ever established what state Barbara Gordon was a US Representative to Congress from?

2 Likes

Your comment about Fables a few days ago, coincidentally ties in to a previous email of mine, from awhile back. In researching some information on Mr. Bones (a sad, but fascinating character), I came across the cover of Infinity Inc. #50, from 1988. It immediately caught my attention (as it did my eye, back then), paying homage to Murphy Anderson’s cover for Justice League of America #2, vol. 1. A title I couldn’t get enough of back then. Many particulars of which, I have long since forgotten. Thankfully, that’s where you come in, good sir! Sometime back (maybe a year or more), I asked about any connection between that #2 issue, All-Star Comics #38 “Invasion from Faryland,” and the Farie realm from Neil Gaiman’s Sandman title. I don’t recall the specifics of your answer, but I remember finding it, satisfactory. :slightly_smiling_face:

More important (if memory serves), I don’t recall either of us mentioning Infinity #50. A 48 page, double sized, special issue! Somehow we (or at least I), appear to have missed a story that not only provided a return to Fairyland, in '88 (thank you very much Roy Thomas), but included the Wizard in the bargain! And joining the Inc. regulars, were members of the JSA, JLA, Johnny Thunder and Jonni Thunder. Also, both versions of Jack Kirby’s Silver Age Sandman, Garrett Sanford and Hector Hall, along with Brute and Glob from the Nightmare realm. Fortunately, Gaiman and Morpheus were no where to be seen back then. One can only imagine the complications that might’ve created.

I’m wondering if you’ve been able to find that story, and have an opinion on it? I find it to be (in many ways), like Marv Wolfman’s 1998 Legends of the DC Universe, bookend to his epic, universe shaking COIE, '85-'86 original run. I gotta admit, rediscovering this Thomas classic “It’s a Grimmworld after all,” was almost like discovering comics again, for the first time. I’ve got another question involving Bill Willingham’s wonderful world of Fables. But I’ll save that for another time. Can’t wait to read what kind of spin you put on this. :upside_down_face: Thanks!

2 Likes

Not explicitly within the text of those stories. But as I wrote in my last column, there was a common understanding at the time, while rarely stated in the source material itself, that Gotham City was in New Jersey.

3 Likes

I’m a little unclear what you’re asking here. Do you just want to know what I think of the story? Roy Thomas has always been a bit dry for my personal taste, but I respect and appreciate his general dedication and exploration of the historical DC universe.

I’d prefer to keep my opinions on Fables to myself.

1 Like