ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Love Hop Harrigan!! Ace of the Airways!

2 Likes

Really? Damn. That’s me out twenty bucks :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I used to enjoy reading Kamandi growing up, and even believe I remember him crossing over with Batman at one point in a Brave & Bold. Is he still considered to be in continuity?

2 Likes

Yeah, he was actually a very big part in Brian Michael Bendis’ work during his recent tenure at DC. An adult Kamandi had traveled back to the present to try and avoid the Great Disaster, manipulating some significant events behind the scenes to make that happen. Bendis left DC before that storyline was completed, though, so we likely won’t see a conclusive resolution.

5 Likes

@MatthewHecht recently posted a panel about Jerry and Naomi Kent in, what may have been, a riff on Clark Kents parents. That reminded me that his adopted parents had various iterations of their names until Jonathan and Martha finally became canon. What other variations of their name did the Kents have before DC settled on the ones we know now?

5 Likes

Your reply to @OGSAMSON507 is a great lead in to my own query about a couple of characters you mentioned. This being Black History Month, how about an update on Ulysses Hazard, Cassius Bannister and Jackie Johnson. Seems to me they often get overlooked when looking back at DC’s war heroes.

3 Likes

@Jurisdiction my young friend, being such a fan of double ‘H’ I hope you’re also aware of the Columbia Pictures Hop Harrigan movie serial from 1946. In addition to his very popular radio series that also ran in the 40s. If not, versions of that material is still around. Happy hunting! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

In a 1942 novel by George Lowther, they are first referred to as Eben and Sarah Kent. Ten years later, on the first episode of the Adventure of Superman TV series, they still retain those names. Other than the accepted Jonathan and Martha we all know these days, there may be others from Elseworld (or imaginary) stories HCQ can dig up for you. Hope that helps some. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Nothing particular to report on Gravedigger or Bannister. That doesn’t have much to do with their race, and more to do with the fact that there isn’t much call for DC to use their war characters these days. The attempts to resurrect the line in the 2010s weren’t exactly met by a clamoring audience. As you can see in my war features breakdown, war titles in recent years are pretty sparse.

That said, Jackie Johnson did make a recent return in 2022’s Sgt. Rock vs. the Army of the Dead, as one of the soldiers fighting against the rising horde of Zombie Nazis.

3 Likes

Golden Age Superman comics have them as John and Mary Kent. But the Adventures of Superman TV show used the Lowther novel as its source text for Superman’s origin, which made them Eben and Sarah on that series.

5 Likes

Very true. And for what it’s worth, in the unaired Adventures of Superboy, 1961 pilot. Sarah had been “updated” to the now accepted Martha which was in use at the time.

5 Likes

I am! Obscurity of DC actually hosted a series of Listen-A-Longs of Hop Harrigan’s radio show

3 Likes

Have either Miles Caulder or Will Magnus (both experts in robotics) ever been involved with the military G.I. Robot project, from World War Two? It seems unlikely that the Pentagon brass would simply mothball something that had proven itself successful in combat situations (without a good reason, of course). Thanks! .

4 Likes

The government didn’t mothhball it – G.I. Robot was still working for the US army as of 2015’s Justice League Unlimited, and was functioning as an independent agent as recently as 2022’s One-Star Squadron. However, neither Magnus nor The Chief have ever been shown to be directly involved with the project. The closest they’ve come into contact is when Magnus and G.I. Robot were both enslaved by the android Newmazo in last year’s Batman/Superman: World’s Finest #16.

6 Likes

Very interesting, thank you sir. As usual, you continue to impress! Have a great night .

3 Likes

As one getting on in years, I tend to think about what comes next. And life after (if any there be). So my initial query was about the Black Racer (original Kirby, that is), and what is the present status of Willie Walker? But then I realized my question was bigger than that. Other than Kirby’s overly colorful version of Death (revamped into something more ominous looking these days, I believe), And another version over in the Flash, just how many variations of Death are running around (pun intended) the ole’ DCU? That is to say, aspects of Gaiman’s delightful gothic version from the Endless. Those who’s sole existence is to end life. If this has been asked previously, I apologize. Have a good night, Q.

4 Likes

An old issue of Greg Weisman’s Captain Atom attempted to sort this out, but Neil Gaiman famously objected to his use of Death without clearance, depicting her as an aspect of “merciful” death which he felt was reductive of the character. That said, in function, the main aspect of Death we see as active in the DC Universe is Death herself, while other, lesser aspects are “Psychopomps” with specific functions. Black Racer is specifically charged with collecting the New Gods. Black Flash takes the Speedsters to the afterlife. Nekron, another “aspect” of Death, has the job of keeping the dead from returning to life. Given the state of the DC universe, he’s probably the worst one at his job.

6 Likes

Thank you sir. Personally, I hope when it’s " my time," I see that cute little goth gal, with the " Mona Lisa smile," and an outstretched hand. But, what of Willie Walker? Have a good one!

2 Likes

Willie’s still around and active as the Black Racer. He was recently shown to have a speedster son, who’s taken on the name Jog as a member of the radical metahuman team The Revolutionaries.

4 Likes

Ya know, It’s funny, but I can still remember that one-in-a-million day. When police scientist Barry Allen was drenched in very specific, electrified chemicals from a bolt of lightning which struck his lab and forever changed his life. Now, it seems like everybody and their 2nd cousin, is a speed freak over in Flashland. Oh well, so it goes. Sorry Flash fans, nothing personal. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes