ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Mojaka is correct about Superman’s cape. Similarly, Superman’s “super memory” has been a part of his power set since as early as 1940. In fact, Superman’s “Super Memory” in the Silver Age accounted for how he knew what befell the planet Krypton, with his ability to recall every moment of his life since his birth.

6 Likes

Oh that makes a lot of sense! Thanks @HubCityQuestion!

2 Likes

Until now, I admit I’ve not given much thought to the Newsboy Legion. Either Golden or Silver Age. And clearly the Bruno Mannheim of the Superman & Lois CW series, is miles removed from the 4th World version created by king Kirby, decades ago. But now, you’ve got me curious as to what those offspring of the originals are up to these days in Metropolis. Or even if (as you seem to indicate), they’re still part of the new DCU.

3 Likes

They’re still around. They most recently played a role in this year’s Stargirl: The Lost Children as part of the “New Golden Age” storyline.

5 Likes

When did Madame Xanadu first cross paths with the daughter of Zatara?

3 Likes

How is it that DC came to own the rights to the original MAD comics, but not the rest of EC’s titles from the same era?

5 Likes

1982’s Wonder Woman #291-293, where Wonder Woman bands together DC’s female heroes against The Adjudicator. Also involved in the alliance is Black Canary, Donna Troy, Supergirl, Power Girl, Helena Wayne, Raven, and Starfire.

5 Likes

Looks like that was her first Justice League of Amazons! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

The only EC title of “the same era” was, in fact, MAD. After the trials which led to the foundation of the Comics Code Authority, every title EC published with the exception of MAD (which got by on technicality of being classified a magazine) was canceled in 1955. So by the time EC was acquired by National Comics in 1961, MAD was their sole active asset.

6 Likes

Has a computer virus ever been used against BrainIac?

4 Likes

Oh yeah. Cyborg just recently did that in DCeased: War of the Undead Gods.

4 Likes

Was it done earlier?

4 Likes

But how is it that the reprint rights to MAD somehow became separated from the reprint rights to the rest of the EC titles, I suppose is what I’m asking? If National acquired EC, didn’t they also get the rights to the cancelled comics? If not, why not? Or if they did and then lost everything except MAD in the intervening years, how did that happen? Why are Dark Horse and Fantagraphics currently publishing the non-MAD EC reprints and not DC?

4 Likes

Plenty of times. For example, in Justice #12, Lex Luthor hacks Brainiac to force him into a particular body so that he can expel him from the planet.

5 Likes

Who was the first non GL related superhero to wield a lantern ring

3 Likes

I love that story. It was my first Wonder Woman comic purchase.

4 Likes

It’s a good question. I did not know the specific answer to this myself, so I decided to ask Grant Geissman, author of The History of EC Comics.

Grant confirmed for me that contrary to popular belief (including my own), Max Gaines never sold EC Comics to National Publicatons — only the MAD Magazine brand itself. He retained ownership of EC’s library for hope of an eventual comeback.

6 Likes

Have Catwoman and Catman ever met?

4 Likes

Thanks, HCQ! And thanks for reaching out to an expert on the topic for us!

5 Likes

They have indeed! Their first encounter is in 1980’s Batman #322-324, when a string of crimes apparently perpetrated by a reformed Catwoman were actually the work of Thomas Blake. Catman returns to seek revenge on Batman and Catwoman for foiling him in Detective Comics #509.

In 1990’s Detective Comics #612, Catwoman is accused of a murder actually perpetrated by Catman’s escaped Siberian tiger, which sends Catwoman after him to clear her name.

They cross paths once more in “Heat,” a four-part crossover in Legends of the Dark Knight #46-49.

In the three-part 1995 crossover “The Secret of the Universe,” Catwoman is hired to steal Catman’s mystic cloak of 9 lives.

In 1997, the DCAU tie-in comics gave us their own take on the original Catwoman/Catman story of Thomas Blake stealing Selina’s MO in The Batman & Robin Adventures #16.

2018’s Catwoman/Tweety & Sylvester featured a grand brawl between all the cat and bird-themed characters of the DC Universe, Selina and Thomas included.

Most recently, Selina joined forces with Scooby and the gang against Catman in The Batman & Scooby-Doo Mysteries #7 and #12.

7 Likes