ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Ok, thank you.

4 Likes

I have a question about your favorite run of your favorite hero.

In The Question #2 he was visited by either Batman or a figment of his imagination. Was it ever confirmed which one?

3 Likes

Thank you.

3 Likes

In Denny O’Neil’s novelized adaptation of the story, Helltown, it was explicitly Batman. The comic leaves it up to your interpretation.

6 Likes

Thank you.

3 Likes

Ok so what is the Actual main earth, because with so many reboots and such and certain things carrying over and whatnot. As someone pretty new to comics, the multiverse is confusing and I don’t know where anything is going on?

5 Likes

Most modern comics from DC you read are set on the “Main Earth,” which is typically referred to as Earth 0.

7 Likes

Okie doke. Thank you!!

4 Likes

When did Sinestro’s “big head” get retconned? I always thought that was a Super Friends thing, but I was just reminded of some Alex Ross depictions with the jumbo cranium on display.

4 Likes

Like most modern Green Lantern stuff, the answer is Geoff Johns. Sinestro still had the big head all the way through the Green Lantern: Rebirth miniseries. Johns shrunk it to normal in his Green Lantern ongoing to help the villain be taken more seriously.

6 Likes

Ah, well I certainly have revealed my pre-Johns GL ignorance. Good call on his part though.

Thanks

4 Likes

I hate to use the word canon since DC now says “everything happened” somewhere in the multiverse on some earth. That being said, do you know if the Millenium origin of the Golden Age Manhunters as revealed in All-Star Squadron is still the status quo on main earth?

4 Likes

There was meant to be a miniseries in 2020 addressing that very question by Marc Andreyko called Manhunters: The Lost History. Unfortunately, it was announced in February of 2020… and after that, a lot changed. As it now stands, very little has been reconfirmed about the current canonical origins of the Golden Age Manhunters. Like most comics of that time, it’s safest to assume that some elements of it still hold true, while others may not.

5 Likes

What is the origin of the appellation “Big Blue Boy Scout”? When and where did this phrase first appear, and who came up with it? And has Superman ever actually been called this in a comic/show/movie?

6 Likes

We don’t really see Superman referred to as a “boy scout” until relatively recently, because it actually originated in Bruce Timm and Paul Dini’s DC Animated Universe. It began as a behind-the-scenes joke on Batman: The Animated Series – scripts would get rejected or retooled if Batman came across as too much of a “boy scout,” a term they used to indicate stuffy moralism and solid citizenry typified by the Adam West incarnation of Batman. Superman, however, is a much lighter character, so when work began on Superman: The Animated Series, they allowed themselves to embrace that a little more. It’s in episode 9, “The Main Man,” where Lobo arrives on Earth to call Superman “Boy Scout” for the first time as a writerly in-joke. (Why Lobo, an alien, knows what boy scouts even are, is never addressed.)

It’s an appellation which continues through the series, with Livewire using it on Superman a few times, and Copperhead and The Flash continuing it into Justice League. Superman acknowledges the running joke in the Justice League Unlimited episode “Clash,” when comparing himself to Captain Marvel.

But when “Big Blue” first became a part of that… well, there’s no database of every comic script ever written, so I really can’t tell you. Only that people like alliteration.

UPDATE: I forgot that Lex Luthor calls him an “overgrown Boy Scout” in Superman: The Movie. So that would be the real point of origin.

The “DC Origins” set in the Vs. trading card game calls Superman “Big Blue Boy Scout” in July 2004.

9 Likes

The same way every alien knows English and understands our figures of speech.

4 Likes

Is it really a figure of speech if it was Lobo using it for the first time? Who knows, maybe he was picking up Livewire’s radio broadcasts and he was foreshadowing her appearance.

6 Likes

Yes

4 Likes

If you say so. At any rate, this origin shouldn’t be too surprising. Lois calling Superman “Smallville” comes from STAS too.

5 Likes

UPDATE: I forgot that Lex Luthor calls him an “overgrown Boy Scout” in Superman: The Movie. So that would be the real point of origin.

The “DC Origins” set in the Vs. trading card game calls Superman “Big Blue Boy Scout” in July 2004.

5 Likes