ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

You knocked that one so far outta’ the park, I think you put it in orbit !!! :grinning:

5 Likes

I was recently watching some of the various Oz sequels that have come out of Hollywood over the years. The Tin-man mini-series on the Syfy channel being my favorite amongst them. That reminded of the first DC/Marvel collaboration on the subject, back in 1975. Which of course got me thinking about a personal favorite of mine, involving C.C. & the Zoo Crew. Was Captain Carrot and the Oz/Wonderland War ever published as a TPB? If not, as both Oz and Alice are in the public domain, are there other problems of some kind to prevent it?

And since I probably won’t get back to you until next week sometime, have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

The main problem is a popularity one. The Zoo Crew just doesn’t generate enough interest to warrant a line of collected trade paperbacks, a practice which only began in earnest years after its shelf-life. The fact is that if you have a DC comic without Batman on the label from before the late 80s, it’s not high on the priority list for a reissue. It’s simply not guaranteed the sales to justify the cost and effort of its republication. Fortunately, digital archives are a much more sensible and affordable way to preserve comic history curiosities such as these. With the recent digitization of the 80s Captain Carrot series, Oz/Wonderland War’s is within the realm of possibility.

7 Likes

Yeah, I hear ya. But while digitized books may be more accessible to a wider audience, they’ll never replace the pleasure that comes from holding the “Real McCoy” in your hands. But, such is the give 'n take of life. Have a good night, my friend!

4 Likes

Good night to you too, and a happy Thanksgiving!

3 Likes

I was paging through some old entries of the original Who’s Who since the New Golden Age entries brought back fond memories of that companion series to the original Crisis. Robert Greenberg did a yeoman’s job of hunting down over 50 years of stories and characters. I wonder, though, did he ever explain what criteria he used to decide which character got included or not?
Some answers are obvious. Since Action Comics #1 is considered the start of the DC shared universe its easy to see why most pre Superman characters were excluded. Obviously, most of the funny animal and humor strips are easy to see why. Likewise the romance characters although some would argue they could be included. But there are some glaring omissions. Golden Age Dr. Midnite had a recurring foe called Dr. Light.He was never mentioned. Cain, Able, Destiny and I believe the Witch’s Three or whatever they were called did get a listing. I may be wrong about the witches. Yet long time teller of tales the Arrowmaker in the backup of Tomahawk was ignored. Most recurring Western characters got a listing but probably the longest running one, Foley of the Fighting Fifth, whose strip ran for 12 continuous years, wasn’t listed.
Like i said, I was just wondering if Greenberg ever gave his reasons for why certain characters weren’t included?

5 Likes

In the foreword to the first volume of the Who’s Who omnibus, Robert Greenberger mentions that some of the criteria included, “appearing more than once and using only the major supporting players (e.g. Perry White, Alfred Pennyworth).” It sounds like the list was also refined to fit DC’s publishing plans at the time, and at least one non-specified character was only included because an artist they reached out to requested it. That’s all the information I have on my desk, though! Hope no one minds me sticking my nose into this one :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

So Martian Manhunter’s weakness is fire. But he works with Fire in JLA. How does that work? Did MM overcome his weakness? Does Fire not shoot real fire? Something else? Please lmk.

3 Likes

It’s a point of contention! J’onn tends to keep his distance from Fire while she’s flaming. There are times when they work together, but continuity goes back and forth on whether the fire weakness is physical or psychological. Sometimes J’onn can fortify his mind against it, sometimes he can’t.

6 Likes

Oh okay! Thanks!

3 Likes

If psychological does that mean trickery should work?

3 Likes

You’re basically saying the editors/publishers made the final decision. OK, its their company. Still, if the purpose of the series was to showcase and celebrate their characters you would think characters who headlined their own series for ten to twelve years wouldn’t be ignored. Meh.

4 Likes

With Helena Wayne seemingly being created on earth prime soon I have to ask? Why was Damian Wayne chosen to take the robin mantel, and what could have been ‘Helena Wayne’ made into Slam Bradly Jr.s kid and ‘sent away’ where Selina could never find her again? Damian is the worst thing to ever happen to bruce, Helena is the best. I had asked this before but was negated. however, given Helena Waynes popularity in the past, I find it strange it was the newer Damian that got to stay. Now it does work into Didio’s policies that heroes can’t be happy but I now don’t get why they chose Damian over Helena in the one series Young Justice where it would make sense to bring her in. given a version of the Leauge of Assasins did exist on earth 2, there is no reason that Talia has to have Damian…or you could have easily set it up to make him through cloning like Respawn was.

So why Damian, a relatively unknown was, chosen to rise when a known and proven hero of the silver age was literally reckoned out of existence? And intentionally Killed off at the end of the first crisis, yet Damian survived multiple deaths.
Because we Helena Wayne fans and batcat fans are bumped we don’t get to see them finally stay together.

Memo to DiDio: Superhero marriages don't have to be happy.

3 Likes

If you want my honest answer: cultural permeability. Damian was introduced during Grant Morrison’s run on Batman, which was one of the highest peaks of the series in sales and popularity. Because of Morrison’s Batman tenure, modern audiences are more likely to recognize Damian than Helena Wayne, who had been relegated to existence within a less prominent continuity for most of the time that Damian has been around.

7 Likes

When that applies, then yes. But again, continuity goes back and forth on this.

4 Likes

Thank you for answered my question.

4 Likes

Why did DC and Marvel stop collaborating on crossover comics?

4 Likes

According to Bruce Timm, it was the Disney buyout of Marvel in 2009. There was even an animated adaptation of JLA/Avengers in early stages of development right before the deal went through. Once the two publishing houses were owned by two rival entertainment studios, the contracts and permissions got much more complicated.

7 Likes

I presume you answered this somewhere before.

Who is the first DC hero who could fly?

3 Likes

:00_hawkman:

4 Likes