ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Theoretically, as we see with costumes, they’re fine as long as your ring stays charged. Just hit the battery before it reaches zero.

5 Likes

Thanks.

4 Likes

Too bad, thanks anyway

4 Likes

Regular visitors to this thread, may well remember my support of our military/veterans in times past. This Veterans Day is no different. Actions on the battlefield (hard fought, if not always won), in the name of our government, hasn’t always covered our people “in glory.” But such is the nature of wars and politics. So, I try not to be someone who “judges a book, by it’s cover.” All of which has me cautiously observing a new DC title, halfway through it’s run.

Said series being, Sgt. Rock vs the Army of the Dead. A new 6 issue mini-series, out now. It’s authored by actor (and fan favorite) Bruce Campbell. He of course has some familiarity with the genre, playing a popular character called Ash. From his first appearance in the Evil Dead movies, to comic books, video games and a TV series. And none of which I’ve seen, read or played.

I fully understand this is a move to give new life to an old character, in the super-hero dominated world of DC products today. I applaud the move. Rather than go the route begun by Bob Haney decades ago, inserting now “General” Rock into the world of Batman and others. Campbell has wisely returned Rock to his natural environment, the battlefields of World War 2. That’s a plus, no matter how you look at it. And it’s not like this “living dead” thing hasn’t been visited before.

A Sgt. Rock short from the DC Showcase animated series in 2019, had Rock leading the Creature Commandos, against his former comrades who had been turned into zombies. As a Rock purist, I surprisingly found myself enjoying this Bruce Timm directed piece. I’ve never read anything by Mr. Campbell before. So this turn as writer on Rock, will be a first. Good luck mister “C” so far, so good.

And finally, a salute to those who serve our nation, and a prayer for all my brothers and sisters in arms, who have left us. Thank you for your service!

7 Likes

Love these annual messages, Wrightline. You really capture the spirit of the day.

6 Likes

Just heard on Public Radio that we lost Kevin Conroy. God that hurts. We all felt like we knew him. And in many ways, I guess we did. My deepest condolences to his friends and family. :pensive:

12 Likes

I think you’re misremembering, Bookworm. You may be thinking of the Justice League episode “Only a Dream,” where John interacts with a kid from his neighborhood in his dreamstate, but they aren’t related.

But that isn’t to say he doesn’t have siblings elsewhere. In 2002’s Green Lantern #147, we get to know a little about John Stewart’s siblings as he works through some repressed trauma with his therapist. He has a younger brother, Damon, and a younger sister, Rose. Rose, sadly, was killed when John was only 15 when he took the family car for a joyride. We’re not told what became of Damon. But nothing about him after that incident came up in therapy, so he’s probably doing okay.

Interestingly, John has another sibling in the Young Justice animated series – Lynn Stewart, Black Lightning’s ex-wife. So while John may not have any nephews, he does, in some universe, have two nieces: Thunder and Lightning.

7 Likes

Thank you!!

5 Likes

Can Animal Man gain Kryptonian powers by being close enough to Superman?

6 Likes

Theoretically? Maybe. His powers come from a similar source to Vixen, who’s been able to mimic Superman in her own right, but she has a little more magic mixed in with her ability to channel The Red. We’ve never seen Animal Man attempt to channel a sentient alien species before, but we’ve never seen anything to suggest he can or can’t do it.

8 Likes

Detective Chimp was also most recently featured in the Superson’s Annual (the first, Rebirth series), in an excellent Super Pet’s focused issue which anyone can read since it is essentially a one-shot.

Personally, I think using this story as a basis would have made for a superior final script for this summer’s Legion of Super Pets animated movie than what we get with a collection of OCs.

Also, as to the answer you gave @MatthewHecht, what was the issue or run where Vixen could mimic Superman as I was not even aware that would have been possible - I thought every emulation was from the animal kingdom.

7 Likes

You’ll want to read the 2006 Justice League of America series, which feature Vixen significantly and offers her a major power upgrade.

5 Likes

Thanks. I actually read the first two or three collections of that run and some of the then JSA books where they cross-over, I don’t remember where I stopped, but I don’t recall Vixen being powered up more than usual so I’ll have to check out the later issues!

6 Likes

Why did they start referring to Martian Manhunter’s favorite cookie as Chocos? Did Nabisco throw a hissy fit about DC using the name Oreos?

6 Likes

Chocos are akin to Soder Cola, Big Belly Burger and probably the best example, Sundollar: http://www.boosterrific.com/pics/news/boo240_SUNDOLLAR.jpg

All of these are pre-emptive to any rights holder throwing a ‘hissy fit.’

5 Likes

Pretty good question! J’onn’s favorite cookie switched over from Oreos to the more generic “Chocos” in Martian Manhunter #24, a story about the cookie’s physically addictive properties. The feeling among editorial was that Nabisco wouldn’t appreciate their product being associated with narcotics. So for the sake of being able to tell the story, the name was changed for the issue, and the name stuck.

9 Likes

Should have used “hydrox.”

8 Likes

At the end of Red Son Superman, we see that Krypton is actually Earth billions of years in the future. Is that seen anywhere else?

5 Likes

It was, actually, though most people don’t know about it. It’s fairly well-known legend that before Siegel and Shuster published their Superman origin in 1938’s Action Comics #1, they had published a pulp magazine story about Superman as a telekinetic supervillain in 1933. Lesser known, however, is that there was a second draft of Superman in between those two appearances. As Jerry Siegel shopped the Superman concept around, he temporarily dissolved his partnership with Shuster to team up with a more established comic strip artist, Russell Keaton. Siegel and Keaton’s Superman of 1934 had many of the elements in place we’d see in the final edition – a superpowered orphan found in a capsule by two passing motorists. The major difference was that in this Keaton strip, the infant Superman was sent by his scientist father on a doomed world not through space, but through time. Earth, rather than the yet to be invented Krypton, was the planet in peril in Superman’s origin.

Millar’s finale to Red Son is an intentional callback to this forgotten piece of Superman lore – but it wasn’t his idea. In an interview with Grant Morrison, Grant told Newsarama that they were the one who gave Millar the idea for Red Son’s twist ending, in tribute to the original draft of the heroic Superman’s origin.

While it hasn’t been literally true for Superman anywhere else since, it has borne out thematically, as our glimpses into Krypton’s late stage society often parallel the political and sociological perils of our own.

9 Likes

That’s so cool! Thanks so much @HubCityQuestion!

6 Likes