ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

What are the true origins and powers of the character “Clay Critter” from DC’s League Of Super Pets?

6 Likes

You might be interested in checking out the DC event “Crisis Times Five”, where the Justice League comes into conflict with the Fifth Dimension.

You might also be interested in the Batmite series, which does provide some additional information about other denizens of the Fifth Dimension.

7 Likes

Clay Critter’s origin story has never been told, nor their powers revealed. However, it’s safe to assume they have something to do with Clayface, and share properties with Proty, the similarly amorphous, shape-shifting member of the original Legion of Super-Pets lineup.

6 Likes

I think I may have asked you already, but I’m not sure.

Is Superman Smashes the Klan canon?

4 Likes

Is it safe to assume that “Clay Critter” and “Proty” are from the same planet?

4 Likes

Well, tomorrow’s the day. The first, live action, small screen appearance of Dream and his Endless family. Like most other fans of this Gaiman masterpiece, I am bursting with anticipation. I think we all have high expectations for the quality and performances we’ll see, because of Neil’s participation in the project. More so, because of his own expressed feelings on how well his creation (and the artists who brought it to life on the page) has been translated to a living breathing world.

Still, because of human nature, no matter how Neil may feel, about the series, by putting it out there (over 30+ years ago), he allowed all of us to take some “ownership” of these iconic characters, so close to our hearts. And, because of that, the casting of certain roles, may receive blow-back from some fans, who consider themselves “purists” of his work.

If true, I suspect that may well apply to the casting of Death. As the actress chosen to play her, is someone of color. After Morpheus, she is obviously the most popular and beloved. Of course, with all the computerized “magic” available to production technicians, they could still have gone with that actress, and literally “bleached” her out on screen. Or any others for that matter. One can only imagine the uproar that would’ve caused.

But Neil didn’t object to this casting, or any of the others (as far as I know). So, if the creator of this Dreamworld and all those who inhabit it, is satisfied that justice has been done to his work, that’s good enough for me. Hopefully, others will likewise agree.

Long live the Sandman!

4 Likes

I would not say that’s safe to assume! One is more of a tribute to the other, I’d say, than explicitly connected.

6 Likes

Nope. It’s set in its own self-contained universe, inspired by the Superman radio show.

4 Likes

Has The Wizard (from the Batman and Robin 1949 serial) ever had a comic appearance? Or any appearance since the serial?

3 Likes

The answer to this was no, until last year — when The Wizard was one of the classic serial villains adapted for Gene Luen Yang’s run on Batman/Superman. It’s here that we learn The Wizard’s true identity: he’s his universe’s Lex Luthor!

6 Likes

What? That’s so cool!!! Is it on DCUI?

3 Likes

Yep! The run starts in Batman/Superman (2019-) #16

4 Likes

That’s fascinating to hear, as up until now, the only movie serial villain to ever appear as a comic book version of themselves (as far as I know) was the Scorpion, from the Adventures of Captain Marvel, in 1941. Fawcett put out their own version of the popular Big Little Books of the day, called a Dime Action Book. Of course I’m just relying on memory here, so I could be wrong about that. Anyone else you know of Master Q?

PS - Loving the Netflix Sandman!

5 Likes

Is it true that Hal Jordan’s Green Lantern is the most powerful Green Lantern still?

5 Likes

For the sake of complete accuracy with regard to the Scorpion from those long gone days of the serials, let me add this. Jerry Ordway, in his magnificent run with the Marvel Family and that whole universe back in the 90s, also made use of the Scorpion “artifact” from that serial in Power of Shazam #24 (vol. 1).

Somehow, Jerry managed to put a new coat of paint on a Golden oldie, and made the Big Red Cheese and his whole world live, like never before. Still the best modern take on those characters, bar none!

6 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion :0_the_question_jlu:,
It’s been a while since I last post on here, I was watching Stargirl on HBO Max, I was wondering does DC Universe Infinite have a comic of Pat Duggan first appearance in their library collection? I would love to read it. Thankyou for your time. :grinning:
Reaganfan78

6 Likes

His first appearance is in Star Spangled Comics #1, so that’s a no.

5 Likes

In late May of this year, I asked if the Losers had ever been to Dinosaur Island. Well, I have since discovered, they have indeed. And all perished there, but for Captain Storm. Said information, courtesy of Superman #9 (vol.4) and Superman Special #1 (vol. 3) the Rebirth era. Len Wein’s short story in Legacies (from 2010-11) provided very different futures for those men. Now, merely designated as taking place on some (as yet) unidentified Earth. At times like this, I truly miss the far more simplified DCU that followed the 1st CRISIS.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know, here’s one of mine, you can scratch off your list. :smile:

Stay safe, be well.

6 Likes

Has Flash ever just tripped on a banana peel or something?

6 Likes

He has actually, more than once. But I’m way to tired to do the research on it right now. :slightly_smiling_face:

7 Likes