ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Thanks Jurisdiction! Currently reading some 90s Catwoman, as well as the new releases. We had to take April off for scheduling reasons, but ATQ is back on track for monthly releases now.

9 Likes

Yay! I’m so excited!!!

4 Likes

Your comments to @mhthomas33.10392 almost 3 weeks ago, concerning the mental anguish of Lois Lane, dealing with her Convergence/Rebirth fallout, kinda’ puts her fantasy world in real perspective. In a universe where people fly around in long underwear, almost routinely visit other dimensions and confront alien invasions every other week, the problems of our real world seem almost pale by comparison. And after all, we read comics to get away from that world, don’t we? I know I do. Unfortunately, the internet that so many of us look to for help, comradery, to broaden our minds and world view, has again shown it’s (pun not intended) dark side. Helping another lost soul, eager to embrace lies over truth. Lies that drove him to a Top’s supermarket, in Buffalo, NY.

If only a simple “clinic” would serve in the real world, to help all those in need. Those who never got to say goodbye to loved ones, who died because of Covid. Or the many and growing victims of war and famine. Or the innocents who perish because of twisted religious ideologies, perceived grievances and racial hatred. I doubt that even a million such clinics will ever help these people and those who loved them. Hopefully, a lot more clinics have since opened up in the DCU, for those in need there. But where do the rest of us go, when thoughts and prayers aren’t enough?

I held off on this posting until my feelings had subsided, and I could come at it rationally. But since May 14th, other such mindless acts continue to happen, as we know they will. And now today, we have yet another mass school shooting, in Uvalde, Texas. Only a continuing conversation about the violence and incivility in our communities, can hope to end it. And it must happen in the present, here and now. Thanks for listening.

Stay safe, be well…
and be kind to someone.

4 Likes

Memorial Day weekend, 2022. It takes on a new meaning this year. Not just in remembrance of those who fought and died for this country. But also those both young and old, who recently passed, because of the whims of a few, pushed over the edge. This year as every year before it, since being declared a Federal Holiday, Taps will be played across the land. In front yards, town halls, city rooftops and many cemeteries across the country.

If you’re fortunate enough to hear it being played somewhere, maybe you can stop for a moment, and pay your silent respects. Then, hope and pray, that next year, will be very, very different. I know I will.

May you all stay safe and be well.

8 Likes

Might’ve been asked? But, is there any official stats on wins/losses, between the Flash & Superman in foot races? I made a comment when this site was 1st up on things (only) DC readers would know. I joked about how they seem to get interrupted (Flash/Superman) every single time. If possible? I would love to know if anyone has ever calculated those statistics!!!….

6 Likes

I was recently thinking about some of the various crossovers DC did in recent years with the other Warner Bros. imprints such as Hanna-Barbara and Loony Toons characters and i got to Wondering has Alfred E Newman or some of the other Mad Magazine characters shown up in a mainstream DC Universe book?

7 Likes

Not so much in canon. But in April of 2013 and 2014, nearly the entire line of DC books released with Alfred E. Neuman variant covers:

As for interior work, the best I can offer you is this pin-up page from the 1998 DCU Holiday Bash by Sergio Aragones, where Neuman is seen from behind leading the JLA in a round of carols.

10 Likes

Just a few odds 'n ends this time round, so I’ll get right to 'em.

When did the animated Legion of Doom first appear (under that name), in the print world of the DCU? And who coined it?

Patty Jenkins gave us a live action Max Lord, and her version of the old Monkey’s Paw story, in WW84. I assume said “paw” has appeared in the pages of DC prior to that film. Where and when, please.

Another mystical item with a long DC lineage, is the Philosopher’s Stone. The stone (in all it’s iterations) has been an object of power in the DCU for some time now. Starting with Merlin and Etrigan, through the Golden Age of the JSA, and into the Silver Age of the JLA. We’ve gone through a couple of more “ages” since then. So, can you lay out it’s history of use for us? And where is it now? Thanks much!

Well, 'til Dr. Alchemy meets Diablo

Stay safe, be well.

5 Likes

I was looking through my copy of the Silver Age Suicide Squad omnibus. Some of which I actually remember seeing on the news stands and in drug stores, as a kid. Most of which though, I’d never read. It’s fascinating how many of their adventures involved prehistoric beasts on Dinosaur Island, in the South Pacific. Also, about a week ago, I was watching a short film titled the Battle at Big Rock. It serves as a lead-in for Jurassic World: Dominion. As a “warmup act” it looks great, and I can’t wait to see the latest entry in the series. It’s amazing how DC’s own take, about dinos existing on an island in the modern world, has played so well with readers over the years. Nothin’ beats a good T-Rex!

All of which kinda’ makes me wonder about Dinosaur Island in the current DCU. So, a few queries for you good sir. When was the last time it appeared prominently in a story? Has any connection ever been shown to exist between it, and Skartaris? Did Capt. Storm or Gunner & Sarge ever have an adventure on the island before Task Force X ever found the place? Has today’s Squad ever been there? And who, in the super-hero community has had reason to visit that “Lost World” so inspired by Burroughs, Conan Doyle and of course, Jules Verne? Just curious? :slightly_smiling_face:

Stay safe, be well.

3 Likes

Hey Wrightline! As always, I’ll get to these when I can, but a tip for the future — when asking a series of unrelated questions, it’s best if you make them separate posts. Otherwise I end up having to answer them all at once, which compounds the unlikelihood that I can deliver a satisfying response. Thanks!

3 Likes

Sorry 'bout that. I guess I thought that since they all revolved around Dinosaur Island, they weren’t unrelated. But I get your point, reference my earlier Legion of Doom post. I’ll try to tighten up on my inquiries in the future.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, that second post is A-OK, I was more referring to the prior one!

4 Likes

Does Clark shave like this in the comics?

4 Likes

Superman: The Man of Steel #4, John Byrne

8 Likes

I’m not trying to bug you, im just excited and want to check it out before camp, so is there an established day on which May’s ask the question will be released?

3 Likes

The release schedule is not in my control! It will arrive when it arrives.

6 Likes

Alright. Again, I wasn’t trying to upset or bother you.

4 Likes

To bad the writers on Superman & Lois don’t seem to like that shaving trick. Other than that 5 o’clock shadow … but I digress from my initial point of interest.

Before the Sentry made his debut over at Marvel in 2000, DC had already given us a similar character. In a 1994 issue of JL-Taskforce, we were introduced to Triumph. At that time, a hitherto “unknown” founding member of the JLA. In what would become one of several revised origins of the League, over time. DC always seemed uncomfortable with him. Maybe that’s why they ultimately, did him in.

In the rebooted DCU, and all the multiverse versions thereof, has Triumph reappeared anywhere? Thanks much.

Stay safe, be well.

7 Likes

What’s the best way to read Crisis on Infinite Earths. Core or full storyline?

4 Likes

I’ll take a stab here. Core plus whatever characters you’re already reading. Some titles only really contributed by having the red skies, plus some of them are a lot harder to place in continuity.

7 Likes