ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Sometimes they remember their past lives, sometimes they don’t. There’s usually an event which triggers an awakening.

6 Likes

I swear I’ve heard a connection between Martha Wayne’s family and the Arkhams before, that the two are related somehow. Am I out of my mind, or is that a thing?

4 Likes

I think this was in Batman Earth One by Johns and Fabok. Knowing Johns it was probably from an older source material.

2 Likes

Not this time. The Arkham connection is in fact originally from Earth One.

5 Likes

I saw another Black Adam teaser last night, that got me thinking about Hawkman after I went to bed. The scene of him unfurling his huge wings, was quite dynamic! The Avian Avenger will no doubt will be a conversational hot point in the months ahead (after finally being portrayed by a man of color, given his Egyptian heritage). For my part of that conversation, I want to talk about those wings! And while this may be the big screen debut of our Winged Wonder, it’s certainly not his first live-action appearance.

Three others preceded it (4, if you count a little known Baby Ruth commercial from 1997). Appearances in the Legends of the Super-heroes 1979 tv specials (with West & Ward reprising their roles from the 60s), show Hawkman wearing what appear to be artificial wings. Skip ahead to 2010, and we get what may be the best version of the character yet, thanks to Geoff Johns. Seen on several episodes of Smallville, he’s shown wearing some kind of winged harness. Comes 2015, the CW Arrowverse is growing in popularity, and gives us a new small screen take on Carter Hall. Appearing first on the Flash, then on Arrow, before becoming one of the Legends in their formative days. This version of the Hawks was the first to introduce bio/genetic wings to emerge from their backs. We’d seen this before on Lucifer, Constantine (as pertains to angels) and now on Naomi.

Our big screen version appears to be of the bio/genetic variety. Able to collapse these wings into some “pocket universe” within themselves. Very weird. Hawkmen past and present have both worn and sprouted their wings over the decades. Just curious as to where the community comes down on this. Because one way or the other, the stories are written very differently.

Stay safe, be well

5 Likes

In the DC History Club March 2022 Topic

We are covering
Hawkman’s often partner
Hawkgirl

3 Likes

Good plug, for the club! I’ll check it out.

3 Likes

While researching something else recently a link led me to the old Super Encyclopedia of the seventies that DC had licensed out for, I believe, educational purposes. The encyclopedia featured several new original characters of color. It got me wondering if DC had ever used these characters since in mainstream continuity?

6 Likes

I’ve had this question in my inbox for almost 2 years now, but couldn’t be bothered to address it because it would require me to go through every single Batman story ever made for a conclusive answer. So, I passed it on to my friends at the Doctor DC podcast instead for their 300th episode.

http://doctordcpodcast.ca/uncategorized/issue-300-the-300th-episode-extravaganza/

6 Likes

Now that Milestone is officially part of the DCU, has anybody given any thought about reintroducing Marcus Clay, into the Dakotaverse? Of all of DC’s black characters, seems to me he’d be most comfortable in a world that’s home to the Blood Syndicate!

3 Likes

It would be an interesting fit! Alternate universe incarnations of Superman and Martian Manhunter have made appearances in Icon & Rocket, so it’s certainly possible.

4 Likes

The League of Assassins is always associated with Ra’s and Talia Al Ghul but I was just wondering who else has led the League?

4 Likes

Shiva has before​:four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Wasn’t Bane?

3 Likes

@SpoilerAlert88

Ra’s al Ghul
Bane
Ubu
Sensei
Talia al Ghul
Nyssa Raatko
Black Canary
Deathstroke
Malcolm Merlyn
Oliver Queen

3 Likes

I believe Bane did for a brief period as well​:four_leaf_clover:

3 Likes

Gotta’ couple of Black Canary questions for ya, this time around. She’s fought a lot of baddies in her day. But does she have anyone who qualifies as an “arch enemy?” If not, I’m thinking Silver Banshee deserves another crack at her! Second, has Wonder Woman ever teamed with BC in any Birds of Prey iteration? Has BC ever been to Themyscira? And finally, have the two Dinahs ever socialized? This last inquiry spins off of a viewing of JLUnlimited. Where heroes are shown lunching together on occasion. Thanks!

Stay safe, be well.

5 Likes

When did speedsters start having lightning follow behind them?

4 Likes

In JSA Annual #1 she, Stargirl, Hawkgirl, Hippolyta, and Nemesis team up on Themyscira. The issue is not on this sight, but is in JSA by Geoff Johns volume 3.

I love that part of the show.

4 Likes

Thanks MH. One down, three to go! We’re in total agreement about those lunches. The next best thing was that Superman cameo in Shazam!

3 Likes