ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

I hope that HCQ won’t mind my answering this one, but yes, there was a collection of those issues:

6 Likes

Thanks! Now that I see it, I remember the cover. Something else to add to my list of must haves!

4 Likes

As we learned in both Joker War and Tom Taylor’s subsequent Nightwing series, it was quite a lot. Bruce paid Alfred billions of dollars for his services and confidence, and even named him as one of five beneficiaries to his own fortune in his will. Now all that money has gone to Dick Grayson, who is using it to transform Blüdhaven.

6 Likes

Is the infamous “amnesia kiss” original to Superman II?

3 Likes

Well, yes and no. There is a “super-kiss”, as it originally appeared once in the comics, which exists an extension of a fairly common romantic trope that one might kiss somebody so hard that they’d end up in a daze or a stupor. (It’s something you might have seen employed, for instance, in the pages of Archie comics by Betty and Veronica.) Specifically in 1963’s Action Comics #306, Clark kisses Lois so intensely that she ends up feeling faint and disoriented afterward.

Now, a lot of sources will cite this as a precedent to the Superman II kiss, but I feel personally that it’s a disingenuous argument. An intense kiss that takes one’s metaphorical breath away is a lot different from one which permanently erases one’s memory. The Salkinds, in their Superman quadrilogy, were never shy about allowing new, plot-convenient powers into Superman’s story, treating him more as a god capable of anything than a being with a concretely defined set of powers. So I’d classify it alongside the cellophane S-throw, and his apparent power to rebuild walls by staring at them.

6 Likes

I’m not sure how to ask this. Do you know the first time that a previously established member of someone’s rogue’s gallery appeared as a villain in a different character’s comic?

4 Likes

Very good question, and earlier this year (back in August), I voiced a very similar one. @CaptainYesterday provided an answer to that. With Vandal Savage being the first Golden Age villain to do so, by appearing in the Silver Age, Flash comic #137. Of course there have been many Crisis, reboots and a Rebirth since then. So I can’t speak to Vandal’s status in that position any more. If it’s changed any, I suspect Q would know.

4 Likes

I found this book at a Library sale. They sold bags of books for $5 so you could put in as many as would fit. I grabbed quite a few graphic novels that day.

3 Likes

To answer this question we need to define what a “villain” is first. Does Amanda Waller count as a villain? Does Lobo? How about Catwoman, or Harley Quinn, or Star Sapphire? To answer your question, I’ve decided to define “villain” as any character who can CURRENTLY be considered a villain, in the majority of contemporary media. So, for instance, Luthor is a villain, despite being a member of the Justice League in the past, and Star Sapphire is not, despite starting as one. With that in mind, here’s a Top 13 (enough to form a Legion of Doom):

#13. Bane
#12. Lobo
#11. Sinestro
#10. Brainiac
#9. Killer Croc
#8. Deathstroke
#7. Scarecrow
#6. The Riddler
#5. Darkseid
#4. Two-Face
#3. The Penguin
#2. The Joker
#1. Lex Luthor

If you’d like to argue that any of these characters are not “villains,” I can update my list accordingly.

4 Likes

Penguin is a politician. That is beyond villain.

4 Likes

Yet you trust former Congresswoman Barbara Gordon.

2 Likes

Wait what? Robin cut off all contact with Gordon. She is most certainly secretly trying to destroy the world.

2 Likes

Darkseid, isn’t really a villain, conqueror or evil god, it Villain seems a bit pedestrian for him.
Also, is Lobo a villain, insane yes, exterminates his whole race, yes, definitely evil or amoral, but Villain doesn’t seem to fit him either.

1 Like

I will punch them both anyway.

2 Likes

As one should.

2 Likes

Who is faster in the water, Aquaman or Clark?

2 Likes

Interesting question. I have no doubt the answer depends on a great many factors. And whether you’re talking knots or mph, the speed will be unbelievable in any case. I’ve seen it said that Aquaman moves anywhere from 150 to literally thousands of miles per hour. As Q has often said about Superman’s strength, or the power of a ring, it is whatever the writer at the moment, need it’s to be. And, as we’ve all accepted the Flash as the fastest man alive (presumably), that makes Clark #2. So sorry Arthur, somebody’s gotta’ come in 3rd in that race. Or, minus Barry, second to Clark. At least, that’s my take. :smiley:

2 Likes

Probably depends on the writer.

2 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Gotta admit, this query regarding Arthur and Clark, got me thinking a lot about the Speed Force. Hard to believe it’s been around for over 25 years now. And something I still know very little about. I’m only aware of it’s introduction to the DCU, back in '94, and it’s ever widening influence ever since. Seems like everybody with a pair of running shoes is said to “tap into it.” Whatever that means. Speedsters (at least in the world of the Flash), are all intimately acquainted with it. Some are linked via bloodlines over generations. Others are not.

So, just what is the common connection between them all? And are others with super-speed likewise able to tap into this unique, other dimensional, power source? Just how fast does someone have to move before being “recognized” by (forgive me Luke) “the Force”? Does it also apply to Kryptonians? An Amazing Amazon? The World’s Mightiest Mortal? Or, even a certain King of Atlantis? But you get the idea.

As I said I don’t know much about it. So, if these answers have already been supplied somewhere, please direct this inquiring mind. As usual Q, thanks for taking on yet another task from this ardent admirer of your Hercule Poirot sleuthing abilities.

Stay safe, be well.

2 Likes