ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

Nah, I wouldn’t count on my lists in their current form. I’ll have to revise them soon.

3 Likes

With Halloween right around the corner, I’ve taken to thinking about, and looking at DC’s more horrific titles in my collection. I also remember the Silver Age Batman taking on a werewolf back in the mid 70s. Although that “type” of adversary was preceded by Man-bat a few years earlier. Later came Kirby’s Demon, the Creature Commandos, Andrew Bennett and Killer Croc in the 80s. DC hasn’t looked back once, since abandoning the restrictions of the outdated Comics Code. Much like the self-imposed Hays Code from Hollywood, intended to serve much the same purpose.

Then, Superman/Batman vs Vampires & Werewolves had the Dark Knight returning to a supernatural world even darker than his own. Now, with American Vampire, 1976 on the stands, and Task Force-Z, and DC vs Vampires ready to hit the comic shops in a few days, is it to much to hope for, that the complicated Count “Alucard” from Transylvania, might be showing up sometime soon as well? In something other than an animated movie, or an Elseworld trilogy, that is.

1 Like

In addition to my horror titles, I was also looking through my 3-D collection recently. One that stands out is Joe Kubert’s Tor. For some reason, I started thinking about other DCU cavemen characters. Java, Kru’ll, Gnarrk, Anthro and Vandel Savage all came to mind quickly enough. But I know there are lots more out there, who’ve played prominent roles in different series over the years, that I’m just not remembering. Don’t suppose you could help a guy out here, could ya, Q?

2 Likes

What is the history of Metropolis’s name?

Did it start as a small town with another name and got renamed when it became a Metropolis?

Did it start as a small town ironically named “Metropolis”?

4 Likes

In Superman: Secret Files 2009, it’s written that Metropolis didn’t get its current name until 1905 – centuries after it was founded. A few other canonical sources, such as the DC Atlas and Zero Hour, fill in some more details.

In 1634, the community was founded as “De Vries Village,” as established by Dutch colonizer Paul De Vries. During the Revolutionary War, the growing settlement was renamed Fort Hunter, after Dan Hunter, sidekick to the war hero Tomahawk. In 1783, Fort Hunter became home to the “First Metropolitan Bank,” the first association with the growing city and the “Metropolis” term. As the decades went by, Fort Hunter became known as Hunterville, and then Hunter City. Finally, in 1905, famed explorer, inventor, and entrepreneur Waldo Glenmorgan (possibly an ancestor of William Glenmorgan, better known as Congo Bill) arrived in the city, and used his scientific and architectural prowess to shape the once humble city into a marvel of the modern world. Glenmorgan called his vision for Hunter City “Metropolis, The City of Tomorrow.” And as Glenmorgan’s vision was realized, the name stuck.

9 Likes

Hah! I’ve been saving this question for just the right time. Thank you @MatthewHecht, for your great lead-in. Back in the Silver Age, there were regular monthly team-ups of the Man of Steel with the Dynamic Duo, in World’s Finest. Decades later a new Superman/Batman title would put a 21st century perspective on their relationship. The cities of Metropolis and Gotham were often shown separated by a body of water, and connected via bridges and tunnels. This was always assumed (if not explicitly stated), to represent the island of Manhattan with the garden state of NJ.

Theatrically, Christopher Reeve flying around recognizable landmarks (like the Statue of Liberty) in his first Superman feature film, continued that belief for theatergoers. As did the Val Kilmer /Tommy Lee Jones smackdown in Batman Forever. Even as late as the 2016 BvS movie, this “across the bay” connection is shown to still exist. With the Bat-signal clearly visible from Luthor Tower.

In the comics however, their geographical locations have changed a couple of times. Once even showing Metropolis to be in Delaware. With no line of sight connection to Gotham City at all. So, good sir, since NYC has been shown to exist separate and apart from Metropolis, just where are these most prominent real estate holdings and home to millions, located in the new DCU?

Stay safe, be well.

2 Likes

Word is out that actress Sarah Shahi will be playing a certain Egyptian character in the upcoming Black Adam feature. So, it is with a heavy heart that I announce the passing of Joanna Cameron. Many of you are probably to young to remember her. She was a true beauty who first breathed life into the character of Mighty Isis, on Saturday mornings. Created for the small screen (like Batgirl), as a counterpart to Captain Marvel, back in the mid 70s. She played Andrea Thomas, a high school science teacher, who, while in Egypt, discovered an ancient amulet. And when certain words were spoken, had the power to transform her into the goddess Isis. The show served as half of the Shazam/Isis Hour. Technically speaking, it’s debut even preceded Lynda Carter’s Wonder Women by a few months. But we are talking a Saturday morning crowd here.

For two seasons she came to the aid of people in trouble (usually teenagers). Evening teaming with Captain Marvel a few times in the process. The first time any super-heroes had ever done that, in live-action! Joanna brought a wonderful charm to her character, and never forgot who her young audience was. She went on to do other film work of course. And had a full life once she left Hollywood behind her.

She’ll be missed by those who knew her in life, and those who adored her on screen. May you always fly with the Angels, Joanna. Rest in Peace.

3 Likes

I actually did answer this one as best as I could in a previous column:

https://www.dcuniverseinfinite.com/news/ask-question-where-world-gotham-city/

5 Likes

Amazingly, I seem to have missed that post from 2 years ago. Thanks for the link, and your efforts. Have a great day!

2 Likes

I seen to recall a certain Dynamic Duo teaming up with The Green Hornet and Kato in the '60s.

3 Likes

I still have no idea how we survived that cliff hanger.

2 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion, does Dick Grayson enjoy being a cop more then being Nightwing or he does he enjoy being Nightwing more then as a cop? Thankyou.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

OMG. You are so right about that, @SaintBrodie. I’ve seen those episodes so many times, I’ve practically memorized all the dialogue. Can’t believe I mind blanked on that historic crossover. Nice catch! I guess I was more shook up about her death, than I thought.

2 Likes

I’d say he definitely enjoys being Nightwing more, considering he eventually quit being a cop and he still works as Nightwing.

4 Likes

Cool thankyou, hope you don’t mind me ask just one more question since it pop in my head, was Jonah Hex based on Clint Eastwood western character of a Man with no name? I was watching the first 2 movies out of 3 film series and Eastwood’s character really reminds me of Jonah Hex. Thankyou.:cowboy_hat_face::racehorse:

2 Likes

I think there’s a very good case for that! Clint Eastwood’s Man With No Name took pop culture by storm, which in part led to the boom of Western comic titles. Jonah Hex was one of many characters inspired by popular Western figures, and I can definitely see similarities between them.

5 Likes

Thankyou.:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Gathering info from your Oct 2019 column, has it ever been established how, why and when the JLA set up their first headquarters in Happy Harbor, Rhode Island? I know there’s an adventure there somewhere I’ve missed, forgotten, or hasn’t been written yet.

5 Likes

Hello @HubCityQuestion,
Hope you’re doing well, Last night I was watching Stargirl, think I really learn somthing new, what I’m about to ask is based on last night episode and will ask a question in blur, cause it will contain a spoiler. Hopefully you’ve seen the episode…

Last night episode, we see Jade is having a nightmare while her ring is flashing, and it look like she can see the future! My question is has Jade or any of the Green Lantern can see a future by their ring? Just wondering, Thankyou. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

When @Daredevil brought up the Babs/Nightwing “thing” about a week ago, I’ve been thinkin’ on it quite a bit.

Most of the time (as I recall) Robin (in one form or another) has led the Titans. And even when he didn’t, my question would apply. From what I can determine, almost everybody and their uncle, has either been a member or involved with the many different teams over the decades. Everybody, except Batgirl.

Ever since his college days when he first teamed up with Barbara Gordon’s alter-ego, Dick has had a special relationship with the Dominoed Daredoll. And we all know how that developed. Now there’s a lot of Titan material I’ve yet to read. But as far as I know, she’s never been a Titan. So, unless I’ve really missed something, what reason has kept Babs off Titan rosters all these years? I really wanna know Q!

Stay safe, be well

3 Likes