ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

I didn’t think of him, but most definitely.

2 Likes

I don’t know if I am the minority here but my favorite Green Lantern was/is Kyle Rayner and rereading his turn in the series though the Circle of Fire and other big chunks are missing I had a question about a two part in Green Lantern 115 and 116 where he teams up with Plastic Man and Booster Gold against someone name The Supplier who wants his OGALICT object back.

So the Supplier says he gets people that work as henchman to big names like Brother Blood or Kobra, similar to Taskmaster, and at the end of the two parts he and the OGALICT disappear and I can find no info on them after that though they seemed to be setting up a mystery and something bigger. Did either return and if so what happened to them?

Thanks Again.

2 Likes

With all this multiverse business in play again (at least in the film worlds of DC and Marvel), I got to wondering if a shared property (owned by both companies), will ever see the light of day again. One Axel Asher, aka ACCESS, being that property. The Disney/Sony and AT&T/WarnerMedia communication giants are a far more formidable, real world “multiverse” scenario to overcome. How likely is it, that another cross-over (either on paper or celluloid) will ever happen again? They both have to know the $$$ there (movie-wise anyway), would be through the roof. And that is after all, the bottom line, and the bread n’ butter of these multinational corporations, isn’t it? Curious as to your thoughts. sir.

Stay safe, be well.

2 Likes

a) Over the next 30 years, all Golden Age characters enter the public domain anyway, so they soon won’t need each other’s permission for crossovers.

b) The Funko movie will, in fact, feature Deadpool, Harley Quinn, and Wonder Woman. It’s not clear how much creative control either company has over Funko, but hopefully the crossover will be popular enough it will inspire them to do it themselves. If all goes really well, the Secret Crisis might actually arrive in time for 2030, when Superman will be thrown across the universe in a battle with Thor himself, and a green behemoth stronger than even Doomsday will die protecting Superman from invaders.

1 Like

Also, either company has the right to use Access.

1 Like

I brought up the public domain thing awhile back. Q, rightfully observed that both DC and Marvel will fight tooth 'n nail to to hold on to those copyrights. Since I’ll be long dead and buried by that time, I wish them luck. As to this “Funko” movie you mentioned, I am totally ignorant as to who and what they are, at the moment. I shall have to investigate.

1 Like

Well then, silver lining in the fact that the government never does anything, I guess.

1 Like

Apparently, there is a movie coming out based on the Funko Pop figures. If you think you don’t know what they are, yes you do. They have licenses for almost every property these days. You’ve seen them in toy stores, comic shops, big box retailers, GameStop.

1 Like

You’re correct about that. Having just looked up Funko, several minutes ago. I realized that I was familiar with the merchandise, from an observational standpoint. Not my cup of tea personally, but I can see the appeal for others.

2 Likes

Hey HCQ, on this important day in Kent family history (well, it’s 3 in the morning, local time, so I guess it was technically yesterday), I was browsing the Wikipedia article on Jon Kent and it pointed out that in Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?, Lois’s son is named Jonathan. I’d like to ask, was this the first story where Lois and/or Clark had a son named Jonathan? Thanks!

1 Like

For you trivia buffs out there, here’s one for ya. That painting of a scene from Mars, by Alex in last night’s Supergirl episode, was not the first time such a painting was done by a member of the Superman family. Seeing it almost immediately reminded me of a panel from " the Super-Key to Fort Superman." Something I referenced here about 5 days ago. Superman himself is shown painting a very similar picture in his Fortress. Then, instead of using the memory of someone who’d been there, he is using his telescopic vision to observe the Martian landscape, firsthand. Also, kinda’ makes you wonder why he never offered to take J’onn home again, doesn’t it? Oh well, so it goes.

3 Likes

I’ve always wondered why J’onn didn’t fly home himself or use one of the many spaceships over the years to go back as well.

1 Like

J’onn (for all his abilities) was never shown to have the power to survive in space (unlike Kal-el). But you’re right about the spaceships though. And let’s not forget about a certain Hal Jordon. What, he couldn’t drop a friend off, while making a trip to OA?

2 Likes

I assume if you are intangible, you don’t need to breath, but maybe I’m wrong on that, although he might not be able to phase that long. But GL is a good thought, but he’s too busy saving the universe, I guess.

2 Likes

Speaking of our pea green E.T., all of us have birthdays. And most of us mark that day in some positive fashion. Maybe a little party, celebrating with friends and family. Which makes me wonder how a certain stranded Martian has dealt with what he’d call (I guess)," arrival day." Not a day to be celebrated by any means. Marking as it does, the day he was torn from his family and home world. Forcing him to build a new life, on very foreign soil. Sounds way to similar to family situations on our southern border, for my tastes.

Anyhow, just wondering (Nov will mark his 66 anniversary) if, in any of the stories about this strangely powerful visitor from another planet, any writer ever commented on that day, specifically? Probably not, but I’m hoping you can surprise me, Q.

2 Likes

In Justice League of America #71 in 1969 Denny O’Neil came up with a new history. J’onn was the leader of rebel forces in the fight against General Blanx. He lost as was sentenced to exile for 13 years. In the first year he was transported to Earth by Dr. Erdel’s beam. He remained on Earth until his period of exile ended and returned home by using Dr. Erdel’s beam right before the events of this issue.

Steve Englehart offers the why in Justice League of America #144 in 1977. After defeating Blanx’s Martian invasion, Superman says he’s flying everyone back to Mars. J’onn laments that forces of evil won on Mars and he wanted to continue fighting the good fight on Earth. So J’onn stayed and had no desire to return home.

Post Crisis J’onn was teleported not only through space but time as well. Mars and his family had been dead for thousands of years. So there was no reason to go back home.

3 Likes

Just shows ya how faulty an old memory can be. I read those stories years ago, and had forgotten all about them. Thanks again for the historic recap “Cap”. You do right well filling in for Q. Nice to know the membership can step up on issues of interest to others.

PS - Another nice column this month Q. Except for the Trigon update, rather Batman-centric this time around. All in all though, quite informative.

1 Like

Thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

Since J’onn J’onzz seems to have the floor right now, I may as well air all of my Manhunter itches that need scratching. A red sun birthed Kryptonian, from a giant planet, is sent to a much smaller one (with far lighter gravity), and a yellow sun. His alien cells acting like a solar battery, soak up the “cosmic rays” of that sun, 24/7. From these pseudo scientific “facts” ladies and gentlemen, I give you … Superman!

Now, a Martian, and product of that yellow sun (and a slightly smaller planet than Earth) is transported to the 3rd world in our planetary system. He arrives with " powers and abilities, far beyond those of mortal men." Powers he already had, before he ever got here. Anybody wanna tell me where they came from? I’m sure that Joseph Samachson thought they were pretty cool, at the time. Presented as they were in Detective Comics #225, back in 1955. But that was then, this is now. So, unless I slept through another DC science class, (and that’s entirely possible) somebody needs to explain all that to me. Just what is it about Mars that creates such amazing powers in it’s native population? Or perhaps they’re not native to the planet. Tell me it’s something in the air, soil, water, something, anything, please! Put don’t leave it hanging for another 66 years!

Stay safe, be well.

2 Likes

Only if she wants it to be. Ivy herself is not toxic by default, but uses toxins when it suits her. Historically, her deadly kiss is performed through the application of plant-derived lipstick. These days, Ivy is more of a plant elemental, and can more or less exhibit the properties of plants as she chooses. Ivy isn’t an indiscriminate killer (most of the time)… so she’s choosy about leaving behind that sort of deadly trace.

5 Likes