ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

As usual sir, you have outdone yourself! My deepest appreciation for your time and efforts.

Stay safe and be well.

2 Likes

The Question doesn’t really have a recurring “arch-enemy,” and tends to face either more grounded urban crime, or chase global conspiracies when given the opportunity. If pressed, I’d say that if The Question considers any one person his “arch-enemy,” it would be Vandal Savage, who stands at the top of the global conspiracy pyramid – and yet, the two have never met. (But it’s another story when it comes to The Question’s successor, Renee Montoya.)

5 Likes

I believe the arc you’re looking for is “JSA B.C.,” as featured in JSA #43-44.

4 Likes

I see both Joker and Deathstroke are getting their own titles, again. Good for them. Fully support seeing more of Slade. I know that Slade and Joker have appeared together in the past (either in group formation or one-on-one). Got an idea for a story. So let me put it out in the form of a question. While I know that DtT and Mr.“J” have faced off before, I don’t remember where, when, or the circumstances that brought it about. So, here’s my idea for a cross-over.

Suppose some millionaire, survivor victim of a Joker scheme (which cost him his family), hires Slade to do what Batman and the Gotham justice system has failed to do. Kill the Joker. Slade takes the contract. In the course of fulfilling it, he has to work his way through various members of the Bat-family (which he does). My question is, has he ever taken on such a contract? If so where and when?

So, unless some form of this has already come down the pike, think my idea has any promise Q?

Stay safe, be well

I notice HBOMax is betting big on the Dead Boy Detectives. If we can’t have an Elonegatedman/Sue Dibny ghost detective series this is probably the next best thing. But i seem to remember the DBD as a Vertigo series. Have the boys ever appeared in the mainstream DC Universe?

1 Like

Many of Bizarro’s earliest adventures actually took place in the Superman daily comic strip. But in those appearances, as envisioned by writer Alvin Schwartz, Bizarro sported a “B” on his chest, as opposed to a backwards “S.”

The backwards “S” was an invention of John Forte, an artist who began to employ it in 1962’s Adventure Comics #294 as a way to further distinguish Bizarro’s costume from Superman’s own, about halfway through his run on the “Tales from Bizarro World” back-up feature. And from that issue on, the look stuck for good.

Bizarro was created prior to the reimagining of the “S” symbol as a family crest in 1978’s Superman, and since then has not displayed any knowledge of those Kryptonian roots. The closest to that, perhaps, is H’El, a Superman antagonist from The New 52 who was originally envisioned by creator Scott Lobdell as an updated take on Bizarro, but was changed to something else at the last minute.

4 Likes

Unpopular opinion: H’El’s a better character than Bizarro.

1 Like

You’re right!

Not that he’s a better character than Bizarro. You’re right that that’s an unpopular opnion.

7 Likes

Reference your response to the arch-enemy question, I was on-line researching something on the Riddler. I came across a surprising amount of references, on Q and Riddler. Which, reminded me of a query of mine to you, about the two. You informed me that they’d only met once (Question #26, 1989). And that there was little chance of Eddy Nigma abandoning “the Bat” for another crack at the Question.

I accepted that, even though it still seems like somebody at DC is passing up some fertile territory here, for a rematch. And if anybody was ever made to be an arch- enemy for the faceless sleuth, it’s the Prince of Puzzlers! But, be that as it may, it did make me wonder about foes of other heroes, who have crossed paths with the DCU’s masked Philip Marlowe. One-on-one that is, no group affiliated team-ups. There have been some, right?

2 Likes

No, not really! The Question’s solo adventures have typically been about tackling systemic evil and corruption. The Riddler incident itself was kind of an indictment of the inherent silliness of “supervillains,” and how The Question doesn’t usually deal with that sort of thing on his own.

Though you know, there is that “Question Authority” episode of Justice League Unlimited, where he takes on Lex Luthor by himself. That doesn’t go super well for him.

5 Likes

But he did get to be in another amazing scene.

3 Likes

Q loves to make a big impression.

4 Likes

All this Scooby-Doo Team-Up stuff (over on Have We Met?) has piqued my curiousity. Just when did Scooby and the Gang first cross paths with the Dynamic Duo? When did Hanna Barbera Productions “officially” enter the world of the DCU? And with the WB cartoon characters on the loose there as well, have the two animated worlds collided, as yet?

Wait, lemme guess, Scooby-Doo Team-Up again, right?

3 Likes

I would love to tell you right off the bat when they first met, Now if you watch Scooby-Doo and guess who? Alot of famous celebrities guest star on the show.
This would not be the first show that showed a Scooby-Doo Team-up with a celebrity including Batman and Robin!
Way back before I was ever born, Scooby-Doo had his second series ‘The New Scooby-Doo Movies’ It was a one hour show that came out in 1972 where celebrities guest star like Jonathan Winter, Jerry Reed and The American Basketball team guest star in a episode. Even fictional characters like The Adam’s Family and The Three Stooges appear on the show.
It was this very show that Scooby-Doo Team-up with Batman and Robin twice dealing with 2 of Batman’s arch nemesis The Joker and The Penguin. :grinning:
I hope HBO Max will add this show, it was a great series to watch.
@HubCityQuestion sorry for answering the question, I really wanted to help on this.
By the way @wrightline1.42741 The spin off to Scooby-Doo Team-up is out now to buy, it’s called Batman & Scooby-Doo Mysteries, hopefully it’ll arrive here in December. :grinning:

3 Likes

They have not! Apart from a few appearances in Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing, both of which were themselves Vertigo series at the time, the Dead Boy Detectives have never appeared in a straight-up mainstream DC title.

Their first appearance was in The Sandman #25. From there, the boys went on to be featured characters in “The Children’s Crusade,” a mini-crossover which wound through each Vertigo title at the time. They would go on to appear in Vertigo anthology titles in the years after, and had three books of their own: The Sandman Presents: Dead Boy Detectives #1-4, the Dead Boy Detectives 2005 graphic novel by Jill Thompson, and Dead Boy Detectives #1-12, in 2014. The boys’ most recent appearance was last year, in The Sandman Universe’s BOOKS OF MAGIC #21-23.

6 Likes

So @HubCityQuestion how many different Green Lanterns have appeared in DC comics, including aliens, etc.

1 Like

Hello Q,

It’s me again, as if the above blue indicator hadn’t made that clear. Just thought I’d let you know, you can wipe a couple of my past inquiries off your to do list. First up, reference my inquiry about Superman’s use of a giant skeleton key to enter “Fort Superman,” awhile back. As best I can tell, this Curt Swan cover for Action Comics #241, was drawn up “ahead” of the actual story. A pretty common occurrence back then. Misinformation between cover artist (who may be different from the story artist), writer and editor, does happen from time to time. Such appears to be the case here. This would mark (I believe) the first and last time this version of the key and a reference to Fort Superman, would ever appear. Feel free to correct of course, if I am in error.

Last but not least, a query I put to you in Aug of last year, may have been unintentionally confusing. Referencing Rebirth as it did. I asked about Jimmy Olsen finding out the true identities of the Dynamic Duo. I was speaking about the Silver Age Jimmy. Well, seems I was right about that. The big reveal took place in World’s Finest #144, Sept of '64. Just prior to his first visit to the Bat-cave.

So, as you can see, I do make some attempts to investigate my own questions. Knowing how very busy you get, I try to lighten your Atlas-like weight of inquiries, whenever possible. :slightly_smiling_face:

PS - Reference the now ichonic golden giant key, is it truly gone? If so, it will be missed. I’m trying to imagine the Bat-cave with desk top miniatures of the robot Tyrannosaurus or giant penny. It just wouldn’t be the same. Oh well, so it goes. :disappointed:

Stay safe, be well.

2 Likes

Hello,

Thank you and everyone who helped with my former questions, I had a few about heroes and villains.

Have the Green Lantern Corp ever gone after Brainiac and if not why? He seems like the type of cosmic threat they are created for.

Have Hawkman or any of his previous lives faced off against Ra Al Ghul in all their lifetimes in comics?

Has Constantine ever faced off with Trigon in the comics?

Has Luthor every gone one on one with any major magic users, Zatanna, Dr. Fate, Constantine and did he have a way to defeat them with his tech?

Final question I know they are a lot Mordu has fought the Legion and JSA many times but has he ever battled any version of the JLA on his own?

Thank you

3 Likes

Hello,
I now death is sometimes a revolving door in the DC Universe, so with that in mind, and with it being the Halloween Season, what Dc Character has died the most times and been reborn in actual comic issues? I realize Hawkman and HawkGirl, and all the Crisis deaths could skew the results, but I am referring to deaths and rebirths actually shown on the comic page so to speak.

1 Like

Resurrection Man’s gotta be up there, right? That’s basically his whole gimmick.

3 Likes