ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

" In brightest day, in blackest night, no evil shall escape my sight." Those spoken words, kinda got me to wondering how many times Eclipso has clashed with the Green Lantern? Being “light” opposites, they’re about as perfect enemies as one could imagine. When did they first encounter each other? Being fans of both, I’m sure I read it at some time or other. I just can’t seem to recall.

Stargirl’s last episode (can this show possibly get any better), also has me curious about the Justice Society’s first run-in with the original Spirit of Vengeance. Hopefully, that’ll come out later in the season. But how about in the source material, good sir?

Stay safe, be well

1 Like

Well now, I see young Willow Zimmerman will be making a name for herself on the streets of Gotham City before long. Good for her. Background press on the character, sounds like a good draw for readers. Here’s hoping that Whistle has a long and prosperous career in the years ahead.

It’ll be interesting to see how and when the move to the more mainstream continuity comes. Enlarging the Batman Family by one more. And speaking of, just how big is the count, for those accepted by the Caped Crusader as part of his vigilante, crime fighting force now, anyway? For a guy who used to be bullish about keeping other heroes outside the city limits, he sure has changed his ways. Over to you, sir!

Hope you, your family and friends have come through IDA’s wrath, well and intact.

Stay safe, my friend!

1 Like

Somehow I doubt that

1 Like

Holy Moley, stop the presses! I hate to be the bearer of bad news to much of the DC fan base, but this just won’t keep. Assuming it’s true, I just found out (from a YouTube posting) that after a 10 year period (between 2031-35), like Sherlock Holmes before them, Superman, Batman and other WB/DC characters are going to be in the PUBLIC DOMAIN. Their respective copyrights having expired.

The thought of that, is both stimulating, and mind boggling! I’m sure you’re in a much better position than I to elaborate on all that, sir. Care to fill in your open mouthed audience with the facts as you know them. Or do we all just sit back and wait for the DC press release spin on the future of it’s iconic, flagship characters?

1 Like

Batman in 2034

1 Like

That’s certainly the case by the current letter of the law, but corporations like Disney and Warner Bros have fought the courts hard to hang onto their copyrights, and I’m sure they’ll keep the best trademark lawyers in the world to retain that right and re-extend the expiration date, as they have done many times before in the past. This isn’t the first time the public domain date has sneaked up on these characters, and there’s a very good chance it won’t be the last. So my thoughts are that I’m not buying it until the date comes.

5 Likes

Hows it going HubCityQuestion.
So I was looking at who’s who and it said that Nebiros first appearance was in Blue Devil #1… but he shows up in Swamp Thing, Vol.1 #15 is this the same demon

1 Like

Actually, Nebiros’s first known appearance was in 1583, in a demonology text by Dutch Occultist Johann Weyer. Though his name is typically spelled as “Neberius,” he’s not really a DC character at all, but an actual demonic figure in certain sects of mid-millennial Christian folklore. Nebiros, who is usually depicted as a three-headed dog or three-headed raven, usually with a humanoid body, is considered the most noble of all the demonic lords, often offering humans gifts of aptitude in arts, sciences, or speech-making. In fact, Weyer himself supposed that the Greek myths of Cerberus may actually be about the demon Nebiros.

So, it’s probable that the creative teams behind both Swamp Thing and Blue Devil were probably borrowing from the same demonic lore, as opposed to each other’s comics.

5 Likes

Whoa, never thought of that, it’d be like anybody can own Zorro since he’s over 100. I hope when the time comes, DC Comics will continue to own these great heroes, Same with Marvel when their time comes as well.
I think the heroes should stay where they are for future generations can enjoy for many more years to come, like we always enjoy classic novels stories like Oliver Twist, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Hunchback of the Notre Dame and many many more.:slightly_smiling_face:

the question who you enjoy teamwork with batman or huntress

1 Like

Adding that to reading list.

1 Like

Huntress and I left things… a little complicated, the last time we teamed up. So I suppose I’d have to say Batman, if only because of the resources that his Batcomputer affords.

5 Likes

I knew there was another reason you joined my team when I struck again.

2 Likes

Spyral’s agents are all equipped with implants that prevent their faces from being picked up on camera. Mr. Terrific’s mask also prevents him from being seen on camera. Is there any connection between the two technologies?

2 Likes

The REAL world’s greatest detective.

3 Likes

5 Likes

Scooby-doo is my bat computer? I am honored.

1 Like

“Batman lacks the ego to think of himself as the World’s Greatest Detective and instead gives that honor to frequent collaborator Scooby-Doo” is a headcanon I have not only immediately accepted, but have etched into the stone tablet of truth inside my brain for all time.

2 Likes

Back in Sept of 2019 (before I had a better grasp of your comics related column), I pitched the idea that somebody at Time/Warner should see about colorizing the Captain Marvel movie serial. Well guess what? Somebody finally has. And it looks terrible.

While looking for something else on YouTube, I discovered it. Much to my chagrin. I believe the Scorpion, Cap’s protagonist in the serial, may well be the first such character to make the move to the printed page as well. As he was later revived to again battle Cap, in the comics. But I digress. In this new film version, C.M.'s bright red and yellow threads are no where to be seen. For some inexplicable reason, it is left gray and white, as in the original multi-chapter release. Duh? A colorful costume is left dull, boring and pointless.

The original still stands as one of the best ever made. Especially due to the highly imaginative flying scenes developed for the film. To bad the makers of Superman, over at Columbia Pictures couldn’t have done as well. Anyhow, just thought I’d share. And bring my original point around, full circle for closure. Still very much looking forward to Shazam 2, Fury of the Gods!

Stay safe, be well.

2 Likes

If I can stay with Captain Marvel for a moment more (sorry, Shazam), Jerry Ordway (in my humble opinion) gave us the best modern day interpretation of the Marvel Family and the whole Shazam universe, during his run on the character. It was during that run that we find out about Billy’s parents, C.C. and Marilyn Batson.

They were archaeologists, and damn good ones. Before leaving their children orphaned at the hands of their assistant/assassin Theo Adam. Other noted archaeologists (before Indiana Jones and Adam Strange of course) back then, were Carter and Shiera Hall. During this pre-Rebirth period, did the Halls and Batsons ever meet? If not, they must have at least been aware of each other. Archaeology’s not that big a field.

During the time that passed before the first appearance of Captain Marvel, and after the Batsons were murdered, did the Halls ever look into who did in, two of their own? And is any of this even relevant anymore, since Dr. Manhattan altered much of the past to establish the new DCU? Curious as always, good sir!

Stay safe, be well.

2 Likes