ASK... THE QUESTION! Column Submission Thread

I don’t believe this ever happens. Miraclo is said to be fatal to most people who try it, so it’s never come up.

Wally West did this in Dark Nights: Speed Metal! When he tried it, time stopped for everyone but him.

5 Likes

Happy DC Anniversary @HubCityQuestion! Thankyou as always for answering our questions, doing a trivia games, make some interesting thread, write a article and even outsmart Hector in a trivia game! You are definitely a DC Fan!
:partying_face::cake::tada::confetti_ball:

6 Likes

Happy Anniversary, @HubCityQuestion! :0_the_question_jlu: :fireworks:

question

7 Likes

Happy anniversary @HubCityQuestion!

4 Likes

For your anniversary do you wear orange socks?

2 Likes

Was just watching Justice League Dark, the predecessor to JLDark: Apokolips War. Which I must admit, gave a much better depiction of the Dream Stone, than we got from WW '84. Not surprisingly, it did get me thinking about the League’s very first encounter with magic forces, back in JLA vol.1, issue #2. Secret of the Sinister Sorcerers, by vastly underrated Mike Sekowsky, and legendary Gardner Fox, who was returning to familiar territory, having brought us comics first super team, the JSA, back in the 1940s.

Speaking of said team, Fox’s story could almost be seen as an homage to fellow author John Broome. Who’s Invasion from Fairyland in All Star Comics #39, was one of 19 stories he penned for the title. Closing out the JSA’s run, in issue #57. Since then, various versions of the League have faced any number of different threats of supernatural origin. My question is, have any versions of the so-called Magic Land or Fairyland dimension, ever surfaced again? The cute titles seem almost simplistic, nowadays. So I’m curious if it’s simply going under “another name” now. With all the mystical forces at play in the DCU, it seems strange that, as home to so much of it, these already established magical playgrounds should be lost and forgotten.

I also see that part 2 of your July column has finally surfaced. Nice job sir, as usual.

And last, but not least, I see another anniversary is upon us. Congratulations HCQ.

'Nuff said!

4 Likes

Well hello there once more HCQ. :wave: :sunglasses:

Say… Happy :cake: day to you as well. :clark_hv_4:

To celebrate… Time for another inquiry then. :nerd_face:

But this will require some help… :thinking:

ajm08g then calls out down the hallway of HCQ’s Office

:clark_hv_4: Hey, Captain Boomerang! Are you out there?

Oh… :flushed:

Well maybe HCQ has investigated if there is anyone who has been apart of the Suicide Squad longer than you Boomerang… :rofl:

If it happens there is not… We’ll get another pie for the celebrations HCQ… :sunglasses: :+1:

Thank you always for what you do. :ask_the_question:

4 Likes

The longest running member of the Suicide Squad is, easily, Deadshot — who has been part of nearly every incarnation of the team ever formed.

And thank you all for the anniversary well wishes!

5 Likes

Ah, excellent HCQ. :sunglasses: :+1:

Will make sure that your office is nice and tidy again… Back to work Boomerang! :joy:

Till then next inquiry then. :0_the_question_jlu:

4 Likes

Vandal Savage has never been seen crossing sword or fang with Kobra to this date. As for Ra’s, the only incident I could find on record is Batman: Li’l Gotham #6, where Batman and Ra’s join forces temporarily to defeat Kobra together.

Talia, however, is another story. In the lead-up to Infinite Crisis through 2005, Talia herself assumes command of the Kobra Cult, as all of the DCU’s villains fall in line to form the Secret Society of Super-Villains.

This is probably a rhetorical question, but it’s impossible for me to get into every writer’s head to see what they were thinking. The fact is probably that when inventing these characters, they did so without consideration of who else had the name in the DC Universe, and just went with what they felt fit the character themselves. I’m sure if you looked hard enough you could find more than one “Jason” within your own neighborhood.

A few, actually. There’s:

• Jason, brother of Wonder Woman, featured in James Robinson’s Wonder Woman run.
  • Jason Allen, brother of Barry Allen in the 1990 Flash TV series.
  • Jason Bloch, Congressman and enemy of Hal Jordan in the 80s Green Lantern comics.
  • Jason Brodeur, a chemical company CEO pursued by Green Arrow in the first season of Arrow.
  • Jason Cameron, briefly the Black King of Checkmate.
  • Jason Carlyle, serial killer from the Lucifer TV series.
  • Jason “Stormy” Foster, Australian officer of the World Army in Earth 2.
  • Jason “Jay” Garrick, the Golden Age Flash.
  • Jason Goldstein, aka Rex Hunter, enemy of Rip Hunter.
  • Jason Grant, James Dean-esque rebel biker protagonist of the “Jason’s Quest” series which ran through Showcase in the 70s.
  • Jason Hart, aka The Protector, who occasionally stood in for Robin with the Teen Titans in the Silver Age – particularly for anti-drug PSAs.
  • Jason Hex, son of Jonah Hex.
  • Jason Hilder, aka The Limping Mummy, enemy of Bulletman.
  • Jason Jordan, nephew of Hal Jordan.
  • Jason Keralis, descendant of Helen of Troy from the novel Wonder Woman: Warbringer.
  • Jason Krinnski, 20th century ancestor of Cosmic Boy.
  • Jason Phillips, aka Exit, of the Suicide Squad.
  • Jason Rogers, aka Monster, enemy of the JSA.
  • Jason Rusch, one half of Firestorm between the periods of Infinite Crisis and Rebirth.
  • Jason Skolimski, known as “The Ogre” on TV’s Gotham.
  • Jason Trask, lieutenant who serves under General Sam Lane.

(Cute gag with Voorhees there, though.)

And yet, that doesn’t even come close to the top 3 names in the DC Universe! After going through the names of the more than 20,000 characters who have populated the DCU, I’ve determined that those distinctions go to (#3) Thomas, (#2) John, and (#1) William.

Well now, that one took QUITE a lot of research! You certainly don’t hold back on the tough questions, Wrightline.

5 Likes

Somehow, I doubt there are that many Jasons in my neighborhood. I hope future DC storytellers will have some knowledge of your listing, before traveling down that well trodden road again. But, I kinda’ doubt it. Great job sir, you outdid yourself on this one!

3 Likes

Happy anniversary @HubCityQuestion​:four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

Happy anniversary.

Good list of the Jason’s. It’s a good thing not everyone at DC is named Martha.

4 Likes

Who is faster? Jay Garrick or Speedy Gonzales?

3 Likes

It’s hard to believe there’s a canonical answer for this, but there is. According to Superman & Bugs Bunny #1, Speedy Gonzales is fast enough to just barely keep behind Wally West, the fastest of all The Flashes.

Therefore, because Wally is considerably faster than Jay, we can deduce that Speedy could outpace Jay Garrick. That is, unless either Flash happens to be tapping directly into the Speed Force. Then we get into faster than light territory, and all bets are off.

6 Likes

Apart from Marthas Wayne and Kent, the DC Universe also contains:

• Martha Dennis, mother of Danny Dennis, the young human companion of Rex the Wonder Dog.
  • Martha Rawbone, aka The Gorgon, enemy of Bulletman.
  • Martha Roberts, aka Doll Girl of the Freedom Fighters.
  • Martha Winters, aka Destructress, enemy of Hero Dialers Chris King and Vicky Grant.
  • And Martha II, a young girl on Gemworld who Conner Kent raised as his own while stranded there between The New 52 and Wonder Comics’ Young Justice.
5 Likes

I do not find it hard to believe, as I figured there would be around a 35% chance.

4 Likes

I love it that Green Arrow was the only one seeing Michigan J. Frog singing! I thought that was funny! :laughing:

5 Likes

Honestly my favorite part.

5 Likes

Don’t know how I could top that Michigan J. Frog thing, so I won’t even try. So, on to something completely different.

Reference the Justice Society of old, I know the membership was kept interesting, due to behind the scenes decisions being made. Made by the powers that be, or that were, back then. The greatest shakeups, were back in '44 & '45. Dr. Fate and the Sandman would last appear in All Star Comics #21. Two issues later, young readers would see the last of the Spectre and Starman, in issue #23. The very next issue, #24, seemed to make up for that, by returning the Flash and Green Lantern to active duty. Along for the ride were Wildcat and Mr. Terrific, appearing for the first time. All American Comics and National Periodical Publications (responsible for the changes) would soon go on to become the foundational version of DC that we all know today.

My original query was going to be about the Spectre. Then I realized, it had to be a bigger question. Because he wasn’t the only one affected by those changes. No reason was ever given to readers, for why four active members just up and disappeared from their roster, that I know of. Sure, things were going on sales wise, with their individual features, resulting in replacements or changes to all humor. But JSA readers needed to know what happened to their heroes. Not having an HCQ to go to, they were just left scratching their heads.

So Q, has Roy Thomas, Gerry Conway, or anybody else ever addressed those questions before? I do hope so, as I’d love to hear that answer. Thanks!

Stay safe, be well.

4 Likes