Ask the "ANSWER MAN!"

So, recently I read the article Ask…The Question: Where in the World is Gotham City?

Well, in the article Alex Jaffe aka our very own @HubCityQuestion says,

My spiritual predecessor Bob Rozakis placed Hal Jordan’s “City Without Fear” in California in his own ‘70s column, “Ask the Answer Man.”

Wow, I love it! I have often read Alex’s **Ask . . . The Question: ** articles on DC Universe news and thought, 'He reminds me of Bob Rozakis and DCs old Daily Planet promotional pages’s Ask The ANSWER MAN.

It was a great fun way to learn about questions and history within the DC Universe that might be puzzling you.

Sure, it was promotional but also a lot of fun that brought community connection before the digital/computer age and our own awesome 2.0 community.

Now, my question is . . . How many of our online community remembers, loves :heart: Bob Rozakis and The Answer Man. And how many of you think Alex is our spiritual successor with Ask . . . The Question. After all, we can see Alex on DC Daily stumping our favorite anchors with interesting questions and history of DC lore.

Oh, and don’t forget to Ask… THE QUESTION!

8 Likes

I loved the mention of Bob Rozakis in @HubCityQuestion’s latest article, and I absolutely agree that he is a successor to the “Answer Man.” I, too, wondered how many people would get the reference. I enjoy reading columns like that in older comics. They’re one of the things I tend to miss in digitized issues, along with letter columns and ads.

5 Likes

Agreed

3 Likes

I’m glad some of you appreciated the shout-out, and I’m honored to follow in Bob’s giant footsteps! When I first pitched this feature to my editor, Rozakis was definitely part of the initial conversation. I just hope to do good by him.

7 Likes

You know, I spoke to Bob Rozakis a few times when I was a kid. The second time, he ripped little me’s “work” apart-- under orders. It may have been one of the first things he did as an assistant editor at DC Comics. And then later, when I got old enough to know you had to type and double space everything, annnnd he may have heard I was somewhat deathly ill, he called back, and, over the phone anyway, decided to teach me stuff about comics, writing them, and how they are produced. While this doesn’t make me an expert on the man, one of the things I learned was always be willing to make your work better-- never think you’ve nailed it, never stop growing as an artist, no matter how good you are, or how good you get.

And so, personally? I think the Answer Man would truly like and appreciate Ask… The Question. And Answer… The Question, as well.

5 Likes