Art Tutorials, Stock Resources, Photo References, and More

Welcome! Let me know if there’s ever a specific topic you need. I’ve still got tons more to add

2 Likes

3 Likes

Did know this existed. Awesome™:+1:

2 Likes

Because I’ve been slacking when it comes to adding to it :sweat_drops:

2 Likes

Naw I think it’s because I just joined. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh! That makes me feel a little better :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for these quick links. They are informative and very useful for any level artists who use them :grinning:. If anyone has any hunger for more design/ proportion art style .check out frank frazetta’s books for expression of face and body. His work lends heavy towards :muscle: super hero art . And has influenced many artists today in the industry of comics.

3 Likes

I haven’t heard of those books, but I’m definitely going to check them out! Thank you so much for the rec, nate! :smiley:

Edit: As follow-up, for those who are interested, I found these

https://www.amazon.com/Masters-Legends-Fantasy-Expanded-Depth/dp/1565239504/ref=sr_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=frank+frazetta&qid=1604282722&sr=8-12

https://www.amazon.com/Frazetta-Painting-Fire-Frank/dp/B0039H6MV2/ref=sr_1_38?dchild=1&keywords=frank+frazetta&qid=1604282722&sr=8-38

@TravisMorgan – thought you might like the video! It’s saying it’s currently unavailable on prime, but it’s probably out there somewhere.

4 Likes

Thank you so much @CynicalPink! I’ll check it out.

3 Likes

Here’s some good YouTube channels to follow, including some big artists that work in the industry!

First I’ll show off is David Finch. His YouTube channel has a lot of different tutorials for stuff like anatomy, hair, armor, special effects, and more. He also does a live stream (often with his wife Meridith) every Monday where you can see him draw a different character. Also, if you subscribe to Skillshare, he has a course there on how to draw superhero heads.

Then there’s Jim Lee. Yeah, THAT Jim Lee. He mostly streams on Twitch, but then uploads them to YouTube. If you’re looking for just the tutorial aspects or seeing the streams more condensed, there’s a YouTube creator named “VZA” who does that not just for Jim Lee, but a LOT of other cool artists.

There’s Todd Nauck, who also does a lot of livestreams, but goes into detail on the choices he makes to make his drawings.

Frank Cho has a channel, while not that active the past few months, still has some great stuff.

The DC YouTube page also periodically posts videos called “DC Art Academy.” Often filmed during cons, it’s part interview with artists about what books they are doing, while drawing sketches. Here’s a full playlist of it.

Some non-comic book artists I follow are the following:

Sycra
Proko
Robert Marzullo

8 Likes

Thank you! I just watched the clothing fold video, amazing. Like its such a simple yet super complex concept (for me.) Looking forward to checking out more of his stuff.

And the others you posted as well.

Also @CynicalPink and I think @_UnderScore you were looking for cape stuff?? There’s a small tutorial at the very end of the clothing fold one.

5 Likes

Omg :astonished: great tips. Thank you.

4 Likes

@DCFanArtClub Hey, gang! I just added this resource to this Tutorials/Stock/References Wiki:

JUST SKETCH ME, FREE WEB APP

It takes a little getting used to, but if you’re struggling to find a good photo reference, this might come in useful. I’ve only used it from the desktop, so I’m not sure how it handles from a mobile.

It has its limitations (simple anatomy in the free version, and joints that move in unrealistic ways), but it seems awesome in a pinch! :fan_art_club: Have fun!

14 Likes

@ImpulseMaxMercury , in case you didn’t get the notification for the above post :+1:

6 Likes

I got it! What we did before seemed to work

4 Likes

Whew, glad to hear it!

1 Like

Thank you posting this! I didn’t even know about this thread until you did. Wow, how did I miss this?

Thank you!

1 Like

Welcome! And I had forgotten to add this page to the main club thread, but that’s now fixed, so hopefully more people can find it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Anyone have any tips or tutorials for oil pastels?