Art in Honor of Batman Day 2020!

The Week 25 Challenge for the @DCFanArtClub was, no surprise, to illustrate the infamous Dark Knight, but we encourage all artists of ALL skill levels to share their Batman art — old and new — in this thread!

Those who are new to submitting fan art around here, please make sure to refer to the Terms of Service listed at the bottom of this post before sharing your doodles and masterpieces!

Past Weekly Challenges Archive:

1. Expressions: Wear your heart on your (spandex) sleeve
  2. DC LEGO: Just Imagine
  3. Knee-Biters: DC Characters as Toddlers
  4. No Place Like Hideouts: Background challenge
  5. DCFac’s Eggcellent Adventure: Easter egg decorating, DC-style
  6. Feline Fine and Artin’ Onward: Catwoman’s 80th Anniversary
  7. The Anti-blank-Batman-head coalition project: Community User Icons (Free for any to use!)
  8. Community Tag: Members supplying prompts to other members
  9. ‘GID GOOD, SCRUB’ : The Question playing video games while sitting in a beanbag chair
  10. I Make This Look Good: DC weapons, gear and more
  11. Anything You Can Do, I Can Do Better: Reproducing official comic artwork
  12. ‘Let the coin decide.’ : Members rolled to see if they would be drawing heroes or villains
  13. DC Diversity: Celebrating black cast members of the DCU in honor of Juneteenth
  14. Challenge 1. DC Pride: Celebrating LBGTQ+ characters in honor of Pride Month
    Challenge 2: LGBTQ+ Icons for the DCU community
  15. ‘We the People’: In celebration of the Fourth, famous figures of history redrawn as DC characters
  16. Character Challenge: Speedsters
  17. ‘Rainbow Connection’: Color-prompt challenge
  18. ‘Out-of-Context Chaos’: Artists picked a single line of text from a comic and created original (and very unrelated) art for it.
  19. ‘Read All About It’: Artists received prompts from a random newspaper headline generator
  20. Character Challenge: Martian Manhunter
  21. ‘Seeing Stars’: The heroes and villains of live-action Stargir
  22. ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit’ : Drawing characters as teens — but only those we haven’t already seen often de-aged in canon material.
  23. ‘Element-ary’: DC heroes and villains who are master wielders of the elements

Past Monthly Challenges Archive:

1. March 2020: 80 Years of Robin
  2. April 2020: DC Episodes Turned Into Comic Book Covers
  3. May 2020: Meta Madhouse: TOURNAMENT OF TERROR
  4. June 2020: Team Trinity Challenge
  5. July 2020: Those Lazy-Hazy-Crazy Days of Summer
  6. August 2020: DC Masterpiece

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

18 Likes

29 Likes

Happy almost-Batman-Day, everyone! I decided to pay homage to one of my all-time favorite iterations of the Dark Knight - LEGO Batman:

30 Likes

I love this! It gives me serious BTAS vibes! You were able to create definition and depth perspective really well in a bichromal image, which is so tough. Batman’s expression is great, which can also be so hard to nail. Great job!

4 Likes

My style usually leans towards realism so I initially was going to go that route. However nothing really interested me and then inspiration struck. What if I drew a Batman in shadows composed entirely of bats! It is at that point that I should have someone stop me because I did not realize how much work this would entail. I have hand cramps from drawing so many bats but I really like the end result. Completely different style for me but as I say over and over again, these are supposed to be challenges.

28 Likes

This is dope!! I love that you went with surrealism, because the unconscious mind is such a huge aspect of Batman’s character and really the Batverse as a whole. The detail you accomplished with the individual bats is insane! I zoomed in and noticed that the bats have a variety of wing postures, which really gives it the organic feel of a flurry of bats! Amazing work!

5 Likes

@TheRealDetectiveChimp great job! I agree it has a real BTAS feel and to me seems like a younger Batman in that series. For someone who sticks to the shadows he sure catches the spotlight a lot. You would think he’d know how to avoid it. Really like this!

3 Likes

@Hyperia90 great job with LEGO Batman! From a previous challenge I know how hard it is to draw the mini figures and you nailed it with action and everything! And I love you include the Batman theme song!

4 Likes

@Hyperia90 thanks! I was not sure how it would come out at first when I had just a few bats to help with outlining the folds in the cape and his form, but once I started filling it in it really came together. I like how I was able to use negative space as well.
With that said drawing with individual bats was a real pain. This is where maybe I should have stepped back especially for a weekly challenge but I’m glad I did it

4 Likes

Thanks!! Yeah, it was pretty tough to accomplish the shading/lighting on the mini figure, which I didn’t anticipate.

5 Likes

I know it’s a Batman celebration, but I’ve had this idea in my head for too long and also not had a reason to draw The Heckler in a while.

27 Likes

As usual there’s a whole story behind mine but looking at the rules I can’t post what it is.

30 Likes

@Goldk very cool! And dint worry I’m developing a story in my head without saying it and hoped I picked up on the right clues.

4 Likes

I love this. Bet that took forever!

6 Likes

Thanks! It too a lot longer than my usual drawings.

6 Likes

This is awesome!! The composition is beautiful and your attention to detail really brings it to life. The bats in B-man’s shadow are a nice touch, and the little details like the texturing on the crystal decanter and the tufted chair upholstery are beautiful. Wonderful piece!

3 Likes

@_UnderScore this was hilarious! Only Batman would still be in shadows in a greenhouse. I am not as familiar with the Heckler but it really has that humorous tone

4 Likes

This is so clever! So fun to see the Heckler in action, and I love how the zany flavor of the “comic strip” animation comes through, especially in the watering can. I love the depth perspective you masterfully created using the potted plants. Amazing job!

4 Likes

Awesome! I can see this as a poster!!!

5 Likes

I love me some Lego Batman. Great job! Great color job! I can totally hear the Batman theme!

5 Likes