Art Celebrating DCFandome's Promos!

Ahh Thank you! Yeah I really really wanted to draw the scar and get it…like where it looks deep?? Idk how to explain. :sweat_smile: I think that’s why next I decided to do Jonah

2 Likes

@RobArt471 sharp as ever friend. And two for the price of one? My eyes thank you. I can’t get enough of your style.

@ImpulseMaxMercury month after month you prove the impossible is quite possible. I tried taking a closer look, but was then blown away in such a fashion I woke up across the room thirteen minutes later.

@Goldk I’m a real person and I can’t make as expressive faces as you draw…with my actual face. I just tried for a fortnight and decided I’d rather just look at your piece again.

@NYJt3 that man of steel has the most wonderful “this is boring me” full body attitude. Love it.

@cici this is essentially a perfect record of how light reflects on a face. The intricacies…I can’t even come up with a proper adjective. Oh, and you did it with a scar too? Wowzers.

5 Likes

Thanks a gagillion (hard g then soft, pretty much the definition of my life).

1 Like

@RobArt471 I took your suggestion…
Red Death drawn using only lightning bats

2 Likes

Thanks. I had to LOL. I read your comment and then pictured you making faces and then I lol’d harder when I realized I was doing it!

2 Likes

@RobArt471 I love the description of the process! I have always tried to determine the best way to approach the poses of the characters. Most of the time I will use an existing drawing as reference to get the proportions right because that is usually where I have trouble. I can usually get the head looking ok and I’ve been getting better at the upper body. I still have issues with legs and feet to make sure they don’t look too thick compared to the body. Then when I start details I always start with the face because this is where the likeness comes through. If the face doesn’t look right, the rest won’t matter. That’s how I approach it.

3 Likes

@NYJt3 love the picture! I like how everyone is basically throwing everything they got at a Superman who is just floating there like are you done yet? He doesn’t look bothered at all. King shark is amazing as it can be hard to have him look ferocious and still bra man shark.
I have a different theory about Boomer there. I say he will come back. After all he is aBoomerang.

2 Likes

@NYJt3 the birthday hat is just perfect. It just makes me giggle a little juxtaposed against them seriousness of his face.
Happy birthday @stefanie.m! I didn’t know otherwise I would have drawn you a cake made of cakes.

2 Likes

@_UnderScore funny picture! Just wondering how uncomfortable it must be for WW to sit with the wings from the armor folded up in the seat. The wind blown hair on Cheetah is perfect 80s!
I will also admit I thought Thelma and Louise as I have not seen Tommy Boy. But hey unlike that movie this is comics and characters never die for long even driving off a cliff…um spoiler alert for a movie out decades?

2 Likes

@cici well done! The scar really has an almost Heath Ledger Joker feel which is ironic in this case. Also the likeness is very close to the actor in Titans. I know this was from a different property but that was my thought. Cool

2 Likes

@stefanie.m thanks! I tried to also capture the fun and hope from the Flash with a smile on his face to get away from grim and gritty. If you like Batman Flash teamups then you should see my other post where I mash them up with similar style. I posted the link in this post somewhere.

2 Likes

@NYJt3 thanks! Since you trademarked Awesome do I have to pay for its use? Just kidding.
It did take a lot of patience. It also made me nervous because each bolt and each bat were so dark that if I messed up a line I could not erase it just had to continue. It would still show through. After my Red Death drawing I think I’m going to retire the style for a bit. I say that and then someone will give me an idea to continue.

2 Likes

:joy::joy: true

1 Like

@CynicalPink thank you for the kind words! I am not sure if it has given me a better sense of shapes but it has helped me figure more out with shadows and what goes into definition of muscles and clothing folds. I have learned how to use the negative space to build the rest of the features as well.
I’m glad Keaton’s likeness came through I was most worried about. Likenesses are most difficult in this method because I am using tiny symbols to look realistic.
As you can see by other post I did not quit just yet. I am hoping to now so no more suggestions!

1 Like

@_UnderScore thanks! I like trying to challenge myself and I’m just glad others like as I go on this journey. I’m sorry you lost thirteen minutes of time but as the Flash maybe you can go back and get them.

1 Like

Thanks IMM for the birthday greeting but rest that hand :raised_hand: :grin:

2 Likes

Always use reference! I can never stress that enough with people. I would recommend starting your figures at the torso and then move downwards to the thighs, legs, and feet if your having trouble with the legs proportions. I’d also try tackling poses that feature a lot of bends (like sitting, kneeling, combat etc) rather than straight standing poses. Those kind of poses, tho they seem complicated, give you more opportunities to relate proportions of the body parts to eachother. Makes it a bit easier :+1:

3 Likes

Oh! Those are great observations! I’m an enormous Heath Ledger (and naturally Ledger Joker) fan so I’m almost positive my brain now only know that as what mouth scars look like :sweat_smile: and yeah I love the irony in that. And similarly I wouldn’t doubt my brain mentally referencing Jason’s Titan’s actor, I follow him on insta and end up seeing his face often because of it!

3 Likes