Arrowverse Couch Club, August Book Club – Arrow: The Dark Archer (2016) #1-12

Welcome back to the second month of the Arrowverse Couch Club’s book club! For August, we’ll be taking a look at the miniseries Arrow: The Dark Archer. Unlike other books that focus on their respective show’s titular hero, this one expands on the life of one of Oliver Queen’s greatest enemies: Malcolm Merlyn. We’re treated to a look at what Malcolm was up to in between seasons 3 and 4, right after taking the mantle of Ra’s al Ghul, while also getting a glimpse into his past – 1985, to be precise. With actor John Barrowman serving as the book’s co-writer (along with his sister, Carole), this title serves as an interesting look into one of the most notable villains of the Arrowverse with plenty of surprising twists and reveals. We’ll be discussing this book all month, so whether you’ve read it before or still need to for the first time, we’ll be here all month!

• What did you think of the fact that this series was written by the actor who plays Malcolm – John Barrowman – and his sister? Do you think it would’ve been handled better by a more familiar comic and/or TV writer, or was this a combo that worked here?

• How did this series affect your perception of Malcolm as he appears on TV?

• Would you want to any elements from this series, such as Saracon or The Hidden, show up in the Arrowverse in the future?

• How do you feel elements like Saracon’s inter-species telepathy or the heart of Ashkiri fit into the world of Arrow? Was the mysticism too much or did it feel appropriate?

• If Nyssa had learned that Lourdes was her mother, what kind of impact do you think that could’ve had on her character?

• In Arrowverse news, Javicia Leslie was officially announced as the new Batwoman last month. What are your hopes for her upcoming tenure as Ryan Wilder?

1 Like

At first glance, it may seem like a bit of an unconventional move, especially considering that these kind of comics are usually written by writers from their respective shows – people like Mark Guggenheim and Sterling Gates. But when you look at this a little closer, it does make more sense.

Any actor who’s been playing the same character for several years is going to have an inherent connection to and understanding of that character in a way that most other people won’t. John Barrowman been playing Malcolm for three seasons by the time this book came out, so he definitely had that understanding of what drives him and makes him tick. Plus, getting to flesh out his background from before the show and get into what he was doing in between seasons could’ve only helped in his performance going forward. This book came out in the middle of season 4, so he didn’t have a ton of time left as Malcolm, but it’s still enough time where getting this boost could’ve made a legitimate difference.

It’s also worth noting that John and Carole Barrowman are actually an established writing duo, having worked together on his biographies, novels and a Doctor Who spinoff comic. Their familiarity with each other and with this particular medium definitely made them well-suited to tackle a project such as this.

While I definitely appreciated getting a deeper look at his character, I can’t quite say it really changed the way I look at his main portrayal. Given his penchant for deception and all the evil things he’s done before, I wasn’t too surprised to find out that he had changed his name and did even more questionable things in years past. This seems to double down on the type of person we already knew him to be – someone who does care about his family, but not more so than his personal gain.

It may not seem doable now that Arrow is over, but there’s still plenty of room left in this universe, especially if Green Arrow and the Canaries gets picked up. Assuming that show has a future (and I really hope it does), there’ll be all sorts of potential for Arrow characters to show up, and perhaps seeing some elements from this series could make things more intriguing. Being an organization, The Hidden could still exist in full 20 years in the future, and an older Saracon could still very much be in the mix. Further still, if he were to show up, that could also be an interesting opportunity to bring back an older Thea and have her meet another one of her half-brothers. While I can’t imagine anything from this title ever being a priority on the show, I think it could be pretty interesting to have an episode or two focused on that kind of connection.

Since this was coming out during Arrow’s fourth season, the magical elements felt a lot more at home here than if this had come out, say, during the first season. Some things were especially weird even in that context, including the alien-esque drone, but given some of the other things we’ve seen in the Arrowverse, I guess it’s not that unbelievable. I can definitely say that it’d be cool to see Saracon’s inter-species telepathy come to life on screen. I guess it’s not all that different from Vixen’s powers, but potentially getting to command multiple animals at once instead of being limited to one at a time could make him a more dangerous opponent. This would especially be true if we were to see him 20 years in the future after he’s had a lot more time to hone his skills.

I think the timing of such a reveal would be key in determining how Nyssa would react to such big news. On one hand, if Malcolm had told her in that moment, I think there’s a chance that she might actually be somewhat grateful to him for telling the truth and allowing her a bit of closure on the matter. Of course there would still be the fact that Malcolm knew this whole time and never said anything, but given their bad history, this wouldn’t quite be the worst thing to happen between them and would at least have a somewhat positive element to it.

On the other hand, if Nyssa found out on her own later, I imagine she’d be even more furious at Malcolm for lying to her again. In this instance, I could see her trying to enact some sort of revenge against him even sooner. It’s also interesting to think about what Nyssa might’ve learned after Malcolm’s death. I’m sure she’d be interested in finding out more of his secrets, and it’s entirely possible that he may have left proof that Lourdes is Nyssa’s mother. Not that I think it’d be addressed on TV in the future, but if Nyssa does return, I also wouldn’t be surprised if it’s revealed that she had already found out her full parentage.

I can’t say I have any strong feelings about Javicia specifically, as I’m not familiar w/ her existing work, but this does still seem promising. It was great to see her welcomed w/ open arms not only by the Batwoman cast, but also by other actors across the Arrowverse, and even by Ruby Rose. Plus it’s great that she’s a bisexual Black woman, as it’ll continue to give authenticity to Batwoman’s lesbian identity and continue to add diversity to this universe.

Aside from wanting Ryan’s story to be about as compelling as Kate’s, which I know has been said plenty of times already, I just hope that Javicia has a better sense of what this job will entail. I know Ruby never gave a specific reason as to why she left the role, but I do feel that given the reliability of the sources that explained why she did, I feel comfortable going forward w/ that information while still taking it w/ a grain of salt. It’s obviously unfortunate to see that Ruby may not have a full sense of the huge load of work it would take day in and day out to pull off this character going into the show, but I have to believe that would also lead to everyone not wanting the same thing to happen again. Along w/ making sure that she can play a great Batwoman, I have to believe that the producers made absolutely sure that Javicia would be up for putting in the number of hours needed to be the lead not just for a few months, but for many years. Obviously it’s still gonna be a while before we actually see her in action, but given the (apparent) circumstances of Ruby’s departure, I feel like the odds of this happening again are even lower than before.

Started reading yesterday, I will try to finish in the next day or 2 and join the discussion…

1 Like

Did not realize John Barrowman wrote this, but it’s definitely a good thing he did. I don’t like giving Malcolm an original name, but I enjoyed the rest of the backstory.

I don’t like the change on Batwoman, but it is what it is. I’m hopeful that they will come up with a great idea to bring in Ryan. I won’t pass judgment without watching and I’ll watch wanting to enjoy…

1 Like

How come? It’s certainly comic accurate and I feel like it didn’t really have a negative impact in how Merlyn is portrayed in the Arrowverse

1 Like

Didn’t realize it was from the comic, not really familiar with the characters outside the series. I just feel like he would be too arrogant to change his name though…

1 Like

That’s definitely a key part of his character, but he’s also big on self-preservation, and starting an entirely new life in Starling City while wanting to leave his old one behind does provide a pretty good motivator for a name change

1 Like

@arkhamassassin I will get to this soon. I promise!

1 Like

This series did introduce some new concepts to his backstory but I’m not sure I felt it was needed. He already had the league if assassins in his past so having him be part of another secret society with mystical elements seemed redundant.
I did like the use of bats as many people have pointed out the similarities with this show and the dark knight. I also noticed the telepathic circles from his head like Aquaman. I don’t know if that was intentional or not but it was cool. The mystical elements would not work as well on the show as spirits of leopards seems much and just how many hearts did they have to eat? I also was not sure or clear to me what that mechanical spider thing was or how it came from the temple for Arthur to use.
I also did not like the name change as I was not sure why he had to change to cover his tracks as it seemed to him he hit away free and clear.
I am looking forward to Batwomanjust to see how they explain Kate’s disappearance but I hop that does not take up the whole season. We need to explore the second person and how many shows get to create a brand new origin we don’t know from comics and movies. I will give it a try but I’m not sure how the supporting characters will work in as they were better than Kate in my eyes and should continue to develop

2 Likes

That cave they were in was directly under Malcolm’s lab, so it would’ve been stored there w/ Rainie able to control it from wherever she escaped to. As for how it came to be, I feel like that part’s still pretty vague. Considering that the Ashkiri liquid was 1 of several things this series created, I guess the Barrowmans were free to have it do pretty much whatever they wanted. While creating mutant spider-esque drones definitely isn’t the true purpose of that substance, mentioning that Malcolm experimented on it for decades is about enough of an excuse to have it do just that

1 Like

What did you think of the fact that this series was written by the actor who plays Malcolm – John Barrowman – and his sister? Do you think it would’ve been handled better by a more familiar comic and/or TV writer, or was this a combo that worked here?
Knowing that they are a seasoned writing duo definitely shows. I like that the actor playing the character is writing a piece of the character’s past. Something they could draw from if they chose to in a later season.

How did this series affect your perception of Malcolm as he appears on TV?
No major change. Malcolm’s deceipt and treachery is consistent young and old. The name change makes sense. he is very chameleon. It’s a fresh start in a new city. might as well add a new name to that start as well. Also, with the end of the run is Malcolm meeting Tommy’s mother, it sort of makes sense why Malcolm went to the League of Assassins after she was killed.

Would you want to any elements from this series, such as Saracon or The Hidden, show up in the Arrowverse in the future?
The Damien Darhk season kind of consumed all things supernatural, so unless they had something Malcolm focused, then they might be able to bring it in. But as a standalone in book form is more than sufficient.

How do you feel elements like Saracon’s inter-species telepathy or the heart of Ashkiri fit into the world of Arrow? Was the mysticism too much or did it feel appropriate?
the animal telepathy isn’t shown a lot. so it was well used. even with the Aquaman rings. I thought the mysticism and related was at an appropriate level. Malcolm kinds of gives it away Ibadan, saying he let the Hidden recruit him. Then later, we find out Arthur King had done his research on the area and then chameleoned his way into The Hidden.

If Nyssa had learned that Lourdes was her mother, what kind of impact do you think that could’ve had on her character?
If Malcolm told her, she might not believe it. Or even if she did, it would still not stop her from wanting to kill Malcolm for killing Sara. I don’t think it would make anything more amicable between Nyssa and Malcolm. Whether or not Nyssa would want to explore a relationship with her birth mother could go either way.

In Arrowverse news, Javicia Leslie was officially announced as the new Batwoman last month. What are your hopes for her upcoming tenure as Ryan Wilder?
I will let it play out and reserve judgement. I have to roll with it because it is a show. And for the actors, it is a job. That Ruby Rose finished the season is pretty professional, and they dropped the biggest bombshell for me when they introduced Bruce Wayne (even though it is really the Tommy “Hush” Elliott version of Bruce). Which is something I am a little more interested in. I’m guessing this Ryan Wilder has been created for the show and is not from any book. If they are going with another lesbian character/actor, they could easily gotten a different actor to play the same character and march forward with the story they were planning. Like on the soaps. Or on Bewitched.

1 Like