:superman: Speak Your Piece About DC's Speechless :superman:

DC Speechless was a spiffy, seemingly unknown until we got it in the library on 12/1, read that left myself speechless, and with a big smile at what a short but sweet (and fun; who says comics aren’t fun anymore? Not people who read Speechless. :wink:) read the mag was.

What do you think of DC Speechless and…what would you like to see from future issues* of this series?

*Assuming there are future issues and this wasn’t just a random one-off, that is.

If you’re wondering what the hubbub is bub, you can check out the fun right here:
:point_down:t2:

Fun Fact: 1994’s Speechless co-starred various on-screen DC alumni, such as Christopher Reeve, Michael Keaton and Ernie Hudson (the first person to play Cyborg in on-screen media). Now, we have a comic titled Speechless.

As was said in the trailer for Batman & Robin, “It all comes together.” :nerd_face:

4 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t mind seeing more! Feels like a good format for a Cassandra Cain story.

5 Likes

It does! Good call.

I’d be tickled to see a story with Non, as Speechless is his kind of title.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Read the Harls short this AM. Really digging this format- it’s fun! :smiley:

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure there will be future issues but how many I couldn’t say. There was an issue 2 listed for the comics coming out for DCUI in December.

3 Likes

Pretty cute stuff! I myself would love to see a Stephanie Brown speechless solo. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really liked it! I hope they are all that good.

3 Likes

Yeah, speechless was cute and sweet, I would love to see others in that kind of illustration.

3 Likes

Are there any characters in particular that you think Speechless would be a good fit for?

Also: Happy Birthday! :partying_face:

3 Likes

I think Gustavo Duarte is a good contributor for a series like this; I enjoyed Bizarro (DC You) and other work he’s done and I also think that DC providing content like this as bonus material exclusive to DCUI is the type of thing they should be doing on the regular, especially given what they have cut from the way the former DCU service was launched. It is, after all, easy for them to add the content to a deluxe HC or to something else printed to eventually sell for the direct market and for the bookstore trade.

According to one thing I found on line, this will be a bi-weekly series, but again there’s no indication that this is for the winter, for the month of December or anything more specific.

That all said, I’m not a fan of the story; even though it’s made clear in the story that a certain clown is not a good character, this is part and parcel of the elevation of someone who canonically killed a bunch of children for the lolz into a slice of life feels-good character; if they were going to do the work to do portrayals where they show the character growth and redemption (as they did with Pied Piper or even as Cereal Lord barely, on the most basic of manners, did with Captain Cold in Forever Evil), that would be one thing, but I’m not at all a fan of this and it is exactly why you see such push back from others in the fandom to the idea of a ‘new trinity’ with this certain clown character in it. The fact that Gunn so easily named check this clown in his initial day makes all this even worse for what it long term means going forward for better characters (for example, Selina Kyle) would could fit this kind of role. And just because someone is popular with the kids doesn’t excuse it either. I have no interest in reading about, or hearing about, someone like Kylie Jenner or say Kim or Kanye.

3 Likes

I would personally love to see Aquaman.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

5 Likes

Aquaman, eh? That’s surprising.

Given your name and avatar, I figured Bleez would be your prime pick.

I can definitely see an Aquaman story in this style, however. Especially if its Arthur gliding through the seas, and then getting into a situation with a sea creature, or an enemy wherein there’s no need for dialogue.

You’re welcome. I hope you had a good one! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had a great day, thank you. I would obviously love to see Bleez and the red lanterns in their own little short along with the green lanterns. (Guy Gardener I think would be a perfect fit).

2 Likes

Imagine a story where Guy tries and tries to talk, but is always cut off by surrounding noises or other objects that drown him out. :smile:

3 Likes

:00_lc_green_lantern:THAT WOULD BE PERFECT!!! :00_lc_green_lantern:

3 Likes

Toss in Bleez constantly shutting him up before he can speak, and you’d likely have a spiffy tale of Guy just stewing in anger over not being able to open his big, fat, yapper. :laughing:

3 Likes

Speechless 1 was fun. Not a huge Harley fan but this was just a good old fashioned gag strip and for that it worked well.

I think Plastic Man would do great in this, as he works great as a comedy character and his ability to become lots of goofy shapes and forms lends itself well to a silent book.

3 Likes

Yes pleez!

3 Likes

Good idea.

I’d like to see him and Elongated Man in a tale called “The Great Stretch-Off”.

If stretchy Jimmy Olsen should appear, then so much the better.

4 Likes