are you an Us or a them?

I don’t know what possessed Bob Kane or Bill Finger to put a “the” in front of Batman. Over the decades I’ve trained myself to not see that “the” anymore.

Who else doesn’t read, say, or see “the” inanity of that “the” and ignore it and who is wrong?

1 Like

I’m fine with “The” or no “The”.

When I was a kid, I thought it was odd to see “The Batman” on certain comics as it was always plain, simple Batman in the movies, on the TV shows and on the merch.

2 Likes

I think that “The Batman” is a title or a nickname like “The Dark Knight” or “The Caped Crusader”, whereas “Batman” is used when referring to Batman himself or something that Batman did.

3 Likes

I think “The Batman” sounds better for titles but to me it always sounds weird to hear a character say “It’s the Batman!”.

I mean, “The Bat” works if it’s a burgler because it’s almost in a fear sort of way. But for any person to say “Hey! It’s Batman!” soundd better as opposed to “Hey! It’s THE Batman!”

If ya know what I mean :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m with @Gibbyhertz 100%

Also “The Batman” is a severely underrated show, 10/10.

1 Like

Though “The Batman” and “Batman” refer to the same entity, I think they are doing so in different ways. One is a thing (remember it was originally bat-man) the other is his name. The bat-man is named Batman.

Some of it changes in how we use language. The Batman, is a formal means to address. Recall that originally Batman was a unknown entity. If someone asks a person walking into a church or synagogue who is that, and is pointing to the person in the pulpit, if you did not know there explicit name you would refer to them using their “title” aka “the priest”, “the pastor”, “the rabbi”

Since we do not have as formal a speech structure today, we reference The Batman as Batman because we have as less formal language and over the years we have come to see it as a name rather than a “title”.

“The Batman” is the best animated Batman series. Better than BTAS, BB, New Adventures, you name it. Hands down the best, with the best voice actor for the role of Batman in Rino Romano.

“Batman” sounds like a superhero, which works in some contexts (e.g. a Justice League story). “The Batman” sounds like the kind of monster a superstitious, cowardly lot would be afraid of, which works in other contexts (e.g. narration from the perspective of a henchman who doesn’t really no much about him). Generally, I’ll accept whichever sounds good in context, but I’m pretty sure I’ve only ever used “Batman” in conversation.

It is kind of strange that Batman is the only “something-person” superhero who regularly gets a “the.” Nobody talks about the Superman, or the Spider-Man, or the Wonder Woman. Well, actually, now that I think about it, there’s also the Elongated Man, I guess.

Final point: When you ask Bruce who/what he is, he says “I’m Batman.” I’ll take his word for it.

3 Likes

Btw, to all my peeps saying “The Batman” is a great tv series, I agree!

And The Batman vs Dracula was amazing. Best animation DC has to offer, the character designs took a bit to get use to but the end result was a version of Batman’s stories that are amazing no matter what medium it’s compared to. It just holds up well!

2 Likes

I’m with BatJamags, “The Batman” evokes mystery and myth and legend. It assumes you’ve heard of him. I like it.

1 Like

When Adams and O’Neill started referring to him as “The Batman” in the late '60s and thought it was very cool. It added a sense of mystery and “otherworldliness” to the character. What the hell else would you call a character that struck swiftly and silently from the shadows? Keep the “article” and lose the insane tech. Let him be THE BATMAN.

1 Like

THE Batman is a mysterious creature of the night.

Batman is a superhero.

It would be weird if Superman called him The Batman everytime they talked, but it works forvcriminaos who don’t know who he is, especially is a Year One type setting.

3 Likes

From the OED
The: used to refer to a person place or thing that is unique. The Queen, The Mona Lisa, The Nile.

The Queen is a good parallel to draw regarding The Batman usage.

3 Likes

He is The Batman!

2 Likes

Maybe “The” Batman would be more at home in “The” Bronx.

I prefer the “the” in front of Batman. It conveys Batman as a myth or urban legend, which is how I think Batman works best. “The Batman” is something whispered by fearful criminals or written in the newspaper when describing a strange vigilante. It also implies it’s a name given to him, rather than one given by himself, which I also prefer. “The Batman” just sounds more iconic, gives the character some mystery, and adds other subtle complexities.

1 Like

I just realized how many typos were in my last post. Whoops…

Oh well, taht cant hwppan to ogten, write?

1 Like