Are We Looking At An Upcoming Original Content Shortage?

Universal owns the Swamp Thing TV series fro the 90s at least according to Wikipedia which is not right 100% of the time and that is all the “research” I did. But given it aired on USA Network I would assume that is true. Also according to Wikipedia the Swamp Thing film is distributed by Embassy Pictures and “Return of Swamp Thing” by Millimeter Films.

Not out of the question they would be on here, as I would assume them paying to license the show isn’t something they flat out couldn’t do. But so far they haven’t put anything Warner and DC don’t own the distribution rights too but nothing saying if they become profitable enough (and as the number of potential movies and shows to add on here becomes smaller) that they wouldn’t start licensing movies and TV shows Warner/DC doesn’t own the rights too.

If so it is possible, I mean Universal might play hard ball or demand a lot since Warner is their competitor but even then it’s not exactly a high demand series and doubt anyone else would offer them more for that show of all things. And doubt the licensing rights for the 2 movies would be that high. But even so don’t see it happening unless they start licensing shows.

2 Likes

And sorry I somehow missed the question about who owns what was already answered. my bad.

1 Like

Why was Stargirl pushed back? We desperately need a Deadman show. How about The Creeper show with Jack Ryder and he interviews different superheroes and teams up with them.

No worries DTMO. It’s always better to have an overabundance of information when it comes to matters of rights, licensing and the like.

Don’t let go of that dream quite yet, @Awesome Squid!

Just because other companies own a property, it doesn’t mean that it won’t appear on DCU. Licensing agreements are wide and varied, and shared rights to certain IPs aren’t uncommon.

I haven’t seen any of the four Swamp Thing properties on any cable channel or streaming service in many years. Those rights holders might just be able to be convinced to share, especially if WB/DCU throw some money at them while Swamp Thing is hot. Making some money off of an old property is better than no money, after all.

@merrimanchase

I’ve said for some time that a Deadman show that followed the Quantum Leap formula would be a blast.

The original Swamp Thing series was on MeTV up until a few months ago as part of their Red Eye promotion of early Sunday morning programming.

I’d love to see the Swamp Thing TV shows here, so if WB feels it’s worth the effort and money and a licensing agreement can be had between the parties involved, then that’s great. I am all for it.

However, as someone with experience in licensing, I can say with experience that most companies will prefer to utilize content they already own to promote something they also own, instead of paying an outside entity for their content.

Why pay Universal Television and DIC Enterprises for temporary licenses to their Swamp Thing content when WB can use Justice League Action and Justice League Dark for promotional purposes? The money that would’ve gone to the third parties can instead be used to further promote the DCU show.

Factor in that the DCU Swamp Thing series is TV-MA, and nobody may want to use cartoons or a pre-existing mild live action TV series to tie into it. WB owned or otherwise.

3 Likes

@Vroom That makes sense.

All excellent points, @Vroom.

I’m still going to hold out hope for straight up Swamp Thing content (though JLAction would be awesome).

I think it has something to do with this Blue Ring that I can’t get off my finger… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Hey, hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things.

Should also be noted that so far nothing that Warner doesn’t own the licensing too had been on this service. Yeah licensing agreements can happen, but as Vroom pointed out it seems unlikely they will want to pay the money any time soon when they don’t really need to. Most of what is owned by other distributors is hardly A+ quality content (with the possible exception of the 60’s Batman films, but even then that is a cult film more then anything).

I could see them doing that down the line if DCU is making enough money and as potential movies and series to put on here that have not at the very least been rotated in before becomes a smaller number of potential movies and TV that they might start to shill out some licensing fees, most probably wouldn’t cost much. But definitely don’t think they are at that point yet… if they ever will be. Hell by the time it gets there they might be making more then one new show a week and not even need them.

1 Like