Are There Any New 52 Titles I Would Enjoy? (Recommendations)

Yes, it’s a part of Nightwing’s “Night of the Owls” crossover. It’s something that’s been pretty readily used since the introduction of the Owls, specifically Robin War and the Ric Grayson saga.

2 Likes

Good to know, guess I’m right back to where I started, which is “the Bat-family mysteriously disappeared from comics sometime in 2011 and was replaced by similarly named but very different clones” then.

2 Likes

Would you mind explaining what DC You is? I pretty much was out of comics from around 2010/11-ish to 2019.

1 Like

In 2015, DC branded most of their line with “DCYou” (a pun on DCU), with the advertising message that it was less about big epic crossovers with a company brand mandate, but more about creator-focused, smaller, character driven and artist friendly stories. I liked most of the line, but it was a sales catastrophe, leading to the relaunch of meat-and-potatoes Rebirth. Which I also liked. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I started to type some stuff up but then I thought I should ask first – what is it you’re looking for in terms of something you would enjoy? Are you looking for more traditional superhero stories?

1 Like

I’ve sampled a few Rebirth titles so far but the only one I’ve really stuck with was Green Arrow (which I’ve been savoring and trying to only read one issue a week!). I’ll look int the DC You stuff.

Green Arrow was quite fun! My favorite Rebirth titles are:
Wonder Woman 1-25 by Rucka
Detective Comics 934-981 by Tynion
Deathstroke by Priest
Hawkman by Venditti
Batman by King

3 Likes

In terms of DCYou era stuff, I would also recommend “The Omega Men” by Tom King, and “Prez” by Mark Russell. “Grayson” I honestly think is the best solo ongoing series that Dick has ever had. I also really enjoyed Black Canary, Starfire, and Cyborg.

2 Likes

Thinking about it- I don’t know, really. There’s not a particularly solid pattern to what I enjoy. I really enjoy Post-Crisis-mid 2000’s DC a lot as well as a lot of Bronze and Golden Age stuff (Silver Age, I haven’t experienced much of- I’ve read a few Green Lantern and Batman stories from that period and not much else). I don’t know what I’m looking for but I know it when I see it if that makes sense.

1 Like

I can safely say after reading Heroes in Crisis I will never read anything by Tom King ever again. Not for a billion dollars.

1 Like

Okay, that’s fair.

In terms of New 52 titles:

Seconding Animal Man – really, anything by Jeff Lemire during this time was great. He also had a great runs on books like Green Arrow, Justice League Dark, and Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.

Also with Animal Man, it was crossing over with Scott Snyder’s Swamp Thing a lot, which I also recommend. He also had a great Superman mini-series called Superman Unchained drawn by Jim Lee.

Also, while the Johns/Lee Justice League was a bit uneven in terms of writing, I thought the series got better as it got on. I feel like stuff like Throne of Atlantis and Darkseid War will be heralded as classic Justice League stories in the future.

While I know you didn’t like Snyder’s Batman, I think you might find something more to your liking in Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason’s Batman & Robin run. It focuses on Bruce’s relationship with Damian and was a good mix of superhero action and genuinely emotional character arcs. You might also want to check out the Detective Comics runs of John Layman and Francis Manapul.

In terms of Superman, Morrison’s run of Action Comics was fantastic, as was the run by Greg Pak. Superman at this time is a little hard to recommend because it got caught up in a lot of crossovers at that time, but there’s some solid stuff in there.

Oh, if you liked the Jimmy Palmiotti run of Jonah Hex, you’ll like All-Star Western. It’s basically a continuation of that run.

One series from the era a lot of people sleep on is O.M.A.C., which is basically Dan Didio (who, thoughts on his editing aside, has written some decent stuff) and Keith Giffen doing a modern-day rift on Kirby concepts. Pretty fun stuff.

I, Vampire was also a lot of fun – takes a lot of concepts from the original and remixes them in ways that feels totally unexpected.

2 Likes

Not even a billion? Dude, I would read a LOT of schlock for a billion dollars. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hey, if I’m being honest? Sure. I’ll read Tom King if you pay me. $20 an issue! That’s my rate. May as well pay down my student loans while I’m suffering.

Well, I know my opinion will be suspect, since I like Heroes in Crisis (though I completely understand why people dislike it), but I think giving Omega Men a try would be worthwhile.

4 Likes

Great, now I got the “Gimmie Twenty Dollars” song stuck in my head. :rofl:

1 Like

I…don’t think I know that one.

It’s a rap son from an artist named Ron Browz, that got popular due to a video game called Slenderman, when it became a fan joke that the reason why this scary demon thing is chasing you is because you owe him twenty dollars. It’s dumb, but an infectious earworm. :laughing:

1 Like

That makes me think of the 80’s movie Better Off Dead, where John Cusack is chased by a kid on a bike demanding two dollars.

1 Like

I just read the first issue of Aquaman! I enjoyed it and will definitely read more.

4 Likes

I don’t remember it being talked about other than in crossover issues with Batman, but they’re easily skippable and don’t affect the overall Nightwing story.