Are There Any New 52 Titles I Would Enjoy? (Recommendations)

What I had heard going in was that Scott Snyder’s Batman run was great. I kind of hated it. Would like to know what might be more up my alley? I kind of feel like I don’t want to touch the Bat books at all due to tying back to the Batman run.

2 Likes

I really like Grant Morrison’s Action Comics run.

And that’s about it. The New 52 was a dumpster fire.

2 Likes

My favorite title in the New 52 line is Animal Man. It’s a very personal story about a D-list hero and minor celebrity trying to keep his family together while some very scary primordial forces of the universe pursue him.

Also, Geoff Johns’ Aquaman is pretty good.

7 Likes

Yeah, I forgot about that one. It’s enjoyable, too.

5 Likes

I’m a little hesitant to try more Morrison after my most recent attempt ended up dissatisfied, but giving it an issue or two to see if I like it can’t hurt.

3 Likes

There’s also his run on Batman Incorporated Vol. 2, but that’s New 52 on a technicality only. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

That sounds interesting. Have never read Animal Man outside seeing him in a few Justice League Europe stories.

Aquaman sounds like my best bet though, I like Johns’ JLA and GL and generally find Aquaman to be a fun world.

2 Likes

Superman would be the worst! I would pick Green Lantern. Cause he looks really cool.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Does that continue the plot from the previous Batman Inc? I wondered why nothing felt resolved. Maybe I misjudged, although that still doesn’t excuse all of my gripes with the previous Batman Inc.

1 Like

Yes, the New 52 literally interrupted Morrison’s story arc, and he had to finish it in the second volume while pretending that it fit with the current continuity.

If only there were a club covering this story right now…

SHAMELESS SELF-PLUG!!!

1 Like

Francis Manpul’s run on Flash was one of the runs that got me into comics. If you are a Flash fan, it’s a good one!

2 Likes

My favorites are Justice League of America (Stargirl and J’onn) are the main characters and Forever Evil.

I know it gets a lot of flack, but I overall really enjoyed Justice League, especially the ones after Forever Evil.

2 Likes

If you didn’t like Snyder’s Batman then don’t try the other bat books.

Batgirl and Nightwing were good to me. I also really enjoyed JL/Forever Evil, Aquaman, Action Comics, and most of Manapul/Buccaletto Flash. Wonder Woman had interesting ideas that just weren’t for me. Shazam is really good.

1 Like

the forever evil story with the rogues is fun, also red lantern(i think that was new 52) was alright

2 Likes

There is a Red Lantern series in New 52, that ties into The Wrath of the First Lantern.

2 Likes

Yeah I actually ended up with a couple of the New 52 Nightwing trades in a lot, and Dick is my favorite DC character. That Batman run pretty much makes me not want to touch any of it.

2 Likes

I liked I, Vampire

2 Likes

There’s a few issues of crossover, but if you skip those it doesn’t tie into Batman other than that. The ending does tie into Forever Evil a bit, though.

1 Like

Is the “Dick was supposed to be a Talon” mentioned in it or is that just a throwaway in Court of Owls? I might be willing to give Nightwing a try if they ignore that.

1 Like

Well, I don’t really love Snyder’s Batman run, but I really like some of the tangential pieces of it, like Batman Eternal, Catwoman by Genevieve Valentine (Catwoman #35-46), We Are Robin, Gotham Academy, Grayson, Starfire, Omega Men. A lot of my favorite titles from the n52 are clustered around DC You, which some consider to not be the n52 - but I think it’s still firmly within that continuity, so I count it as the same thing.

3 Likes