Are There Any Comics Or Characters You’re Stubborn About?

I wish I did that on purpose. :sweat_smile:

But I do believe he is in good hands with Tom Taylor writing him. I’d be nervous if almost any other writer had him, but I have liked Taylor’s writing so far. So I think Jon will be okay.

4 Likes

That also speaks to every new writer seeming to want to add a new sidekick etc to the already oversized roster. There are more vigilantes in Gotham than criminals to fight.

1 Like

Honestly my biggest issues with HiC are not related to Wally being a murderer; it’s a choice I disagree with but that is what it is. My problem is for all its good intentions of delivering a message about taking care of your mental health it had a really clueless way to deliver that message.

2 Likes

My stubbornness is reactionary. It shows up mostly when folks insist that one of the characters I read regularly “should be this way”. I don’t know why, but I immediately get into devil’s advocate mode and start making an argument for the opposite in my head… but I don’t express it frequently enough… let folks have their fun.

If there is one concept, not character, that I struggle with internally, it’s that of “mantles”. I wrote before about how I had an a-ha moment, when wearing an El symbol t-shirt made me realize that if a fan can be inspired enough by a fictional character to wear their symbol on their chest, then so can fictional heroes in that fictional world be inspired to follow in their footsteps. Still, months later, there’s a little voice inside me saying “Superman is Clark Kent, Batman is Bruce Wayne, Wonder Woman is Diana Prince”. I have really softened up on the whole concept though, and Future State helped with that quite a bit. They really showed how it can be done well, especially in their handling of Clark & Jon.

Otherwise, I’m pretty wide open. I like to read what an author and artist set out to do, their stories, their takes, not the stories & takes that live in my head.

Don’t know if any of that made a lick of sense. Off to reading whatever is in my Comixology queue for this week.

6 Likes

Oh, this 100%. It would have been a better series if they hadn’t taken everyone in the DCU who was actively working through a mental health issue and killed them all… Except Booster, Ivy, Harley and Wally.

I would read a series that somehow fixes this issue and expands on Sanctuary. Because it was actually a really good idea.

2 Likes

I’m 100% the opposite. The New 52 completely put me off for that reason.

3 Likes

@Clonegeek18

Supersons was one of the best comics that DC put out in years.

Yeah, and it lasted, what, 16 issues.

So not enough people bought it – it was selling in the 27,000 range when it ended the first time.

And I imagine that’s why they aged Jonathan Kent up too.

A lot of people say that they like kid Jon, but not a whole lot of people bought the comics. So that what happens.

@AlexanderKnox

I’m 100% the opposite. The New 52 completely put me off for that reason.

Yeah, I liked The New 52 because it got rid of all of the baggage. Then quickly within a matter of issues it wasn’t that good to me so I was done.

But The New 52 brought in a nice little sales bump for Superman – 118,376 copies. Then it dropped back down to the normal 35,000 range, which was excepted.

Then five years later the Rebirth brought all of the baggage back, and brought in a nice little sales bump for Superman - 118,434. Then it dropped back down again to normal.

Then two years after that Brian Bendis brought in a new status quo, and a nice new number #1, and a nice little sales bump for Superman – 133, 703. Now it’s back down to the normal 35,000 range again.

And now three years later this new Superman will bring in a new status quo. And it’ll probably get a nice little sales bump up into the 100,000 range. And then it’ll drop back down again and they’ll do something else. :relaxed:

And I imagine at some point AT&T won’t do this anymore and just make everything a movie tie-in like that new The Conjuring project.

Which I will of course welcome with open arms. :relaxed:

Just tie everything into the movies and into HBO Max and be done with it.

Keep everything simple and “synergetic” and stop with all of these reboots and relaunches.

2 Likes

I’m stubborn about Jonathan Kent (Clark’s dad, not his son) being alive.

I don’t like the variations where he died, as it gives a much darker edge to such a hopeful and cheerful character (superman).

2 Likes

I feel the same way about Nora Allen. The biggest problem I had with Barry Allen being brought back wasn’t that they did it…Nor was it that Wally was going to take a back seat so Barry could have the lead spot again…
My biggest problem is/was/will always be that Barry Allen DID NOT have…or need a tragic origin story!
Read the Life story of the Flash by Iris West Allen(Mark Waid and Brian Augustyne) Barry’s origin and history as the Flash are told perfectly in that book. And there’s no childhood trauma needed for Barry to become the Police Scientist he is or the Hero that he will later become. It all comes from his pre-existing interest in science and his childhood fascination with a Golden Age Hero.

5 Likes

I’m with you there. I’m actually pretty indifferent about Jon - existing, kid, aged up - if he does exist, I don’t want him dead, but other than that, I’m not super bothered.

But Superman better be married to Lois. And shouldn’t be wearing armor with a stupid looking collar.

Other things I’m stubborn about:

Stephanie Brown should have her history back - as Robin and Batgirl, not just Spoiler.

Tim Drake is a great Robin

Batman should NOT work alone

The Batfamily is NOT too big

Aquaman is cool. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

While Batman Under the Red Hood is pretty legendary, I like Anti-hero Jason Todd more than I do villain Jason Todd… at least in canon comics; Elseworlds and fan fiction, you do you, but in the canon since 2011, he has had character development and many people (aside from myself) like it. Needless to say, I haven’t read Red Hood: Outlaw yet, but from what I have seen online and on Comicstorian’s channel, villain Jason Todd is from the early 2000s, not today. We have outgrown it, and all it does it feed into the misconception that he’s just an angry killer to people who have heard of him, but have never touched a single Red Hood title comic in their life.

1 Like

Weirdly enough, I’m probably more “stubborn” about lesser known characters for the simple fact that there is so little material to enjoy.

Whereas, someone like Superman has eight decades of material, so if they try passing the mantle to someone new for a bit, you still have plenty of “Superman Classic” at your disposal.

1 Like

I think anyone can be batman but tbh i didn’t like Tim Fox as Batman. I think it should be someone form the bat-family not just a random guy

2 Likes

TELL THEM Red Hood is one of the most underrated member of the bat family just cause he doesn’t follow Batman’s rules, but they don’t understand that form Jason’s POV Batman’s rules got him killed

2 Likes

So, anyone or someone from the Bat family?

Someone from the Bat family makes a certain degree of sense, but they also all have their own alter egos: Nightwing, Red Robin, Red Hood, The Signal, Batwing, etc. Would need a compelling story reason for one to choose to make the switcheroo.

Regarding Tim Fox, we didn’t really see the “why and how” of it all in Future State. I really should read the Next Batman digital first to see how they’re building him up.

1 Like

someone fromm the family and they really didn’t explain how Tim(Fox) became Batman in Future State

2 Likes

Agreed. What I was trying to say is I think this series is supposed to give some insight into that:

https://www.comixology.com/The-Next-Batman-Second-Son-2021/comics-series/153932?ref=c2VhcmNoL2luZGV4L2Rlc2t0b3Avc2xpZGVyTGlzdC90b3BSZXN1bHRzU2xpZGVy

1 Like

I don’t want him to be Batman tbh, but what i guess we can’t do nothing about it

1 Like

Why? Bat family bias, or just didn’t like the character in Future State?

1 Like

just didn’t like him

1 Like