Are Batman’s Contingency Plans Useless?

I am hilarious

3 Likes

Personally, Some are useless and some aren’t. Superman could go all out from the start, and would kill batman. But GL. just wear a sweater (what is this and who would buy it?) 1990 DC Comics Kenner DEEP SEA DIVER BATMAN | eBay

3 Likes

Do you think The Question could answer this?

2 Likes

But which smart body part would be better?

4 Likes

Also, anyways, it depends. There’s a lot of unpredictable factors in contingency plans.

2 Likes

explain

2 Likes

Fair enough. I think I just mean that when Batman has contingency plans, they need to be designed in a level that considers outside forces at the very least and those can be harder to anticipate. If a target goes rogue and they have an unexpected ally with unpredicted abilities, that can change the effectiveness of Bruce’s plan. Regardless of the morals at play, the plans might not be as useful as playing it on the fly (or winging it) incase of an emergency.

2 Likes

I love winging it.

2 Likes

You have a point.

2 Likes

EVERYONE tag in more people to get here and answer the question

3 Likes

@HubCityQuestion

3 Likes

I think they are useful. Like @daredevil said it never hurts to be prepared.

3 Likes

I think it’s definitely useful to be prepared. The problem always seems to be when nobody else knows what Batman has planned, and something comes up to bite everyone out of the blue.

3 Likes

Contingency plans are always useless until/unless they’re needed! :slight_smile:

I agree with some others that the issue isn’t that Batman has contingencies, it’s that no one else knows about them. The JL or batfam or whomever could know/access different contingencies to 1) help enact them if needed and 2) counter them if abused/stolen.

2 Likes

The average human can be hard to trust. While many of us are taught to have good morals such as telling the truth and being nice, it’s not hard or uncommon for someone we consider trustworthy to stab us in the back.

Now add superpowers and superior beings to that mix.

Yes, Superman is a character that represents good, but he also has the ability to use his powers however he wants, including evil if he really wanted to. Same with Wonder Woman, she could very easily decide that killing her enemies in cold blood is an easier solution. While it is OOC for them, it is also possible. Plus, DC is a universe where mind control is a thing. The Justice League has been mind controlled before, it is entirely possible for it to happen again. One of their greatest threats is Starro afterall. There’s even an arch in Young Justice where the League had no memory for 16 hours and got in trouble for it. They are not entirely invincible.

So while it’s not useless, it may be considered obsessive, but when you take into account that powerful beings can potentially become vulnerable to those with much more power and evil intent, the contingency plans could maybe even save a Leaguer’s life (provided that it does kill the member).

1 Like

I feel like the best scenario would be contingency plans that everyone was aware of, and that weren’t just trusted to one person. That would have its own difficulties and problems, but I think it would be less prone to abuse or disaster. Maybe as part of joining the League you’d have to tell everyone what your weaknesses are, and Martian Manhunter could be there to make sure you were being honest.

3 Likes

I am saying my weakness is chocolate and watch them try and fight me with tasty food.

You underestimate my ability to fool Martians.

4 Likes

3 Likes