Aquamen #1: Live Q&A with Chuck Brown and Brandon Thomas! Friday 2/18 @2pm PT/5pm ET!

BT: We won’t be adding in any new abilities, but will be using some of the ones mentioned. Also, the tridents used by Black Manta and Jackson have big roles to play, especially in this first arc. Trident fans have a really amazing cover to look forward to!

7 Likes

CB: I brought Devil Ray in the comics world to give Manta a true foe. He’s someone that was created by Manta and hates him for letting him down. It was also my way of a tribute to Dwayne McDuffie, the creator of Devil Ray.

7 Likes

:eyes: :eyes: :eyes:

5 Likes

CB: I think the Aqua Fam is the most loving family in the DCU. Not that the other DC families are not but the Aqua Fam are not afraid to say I love you or hug…etc. All the things I avoid in real. life so with the Aquas get to write about it…LOL.

BT: Yeah, they’re like the Bat-family, but with way less interpersonal conflict and angst. It’s not all good all the time, as you’ll see when Garth and Jackson start to interact more, but there’s a genuine affection coming from the characters, and that starts at the top with Arthur and Mera’s relationship really setting the tone for everyone else.

7 Likes

Ty for answering my question. That’s an awesome answer as I’m a huge McDuffie & Milestone fan!!!

6 Likes

CB: Over the decades the trident has had some amazing god like power. I really want to draw on some of those powers. Like Brandon mentioned in an early comment the longer we get to play in the Aquaverse the more cool ■■■■ we can include.

7 Likes

We’re all adults here lol. Blocks are a good way to express yourself when handcuffed.

3 Likes

I live in hope, then! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

BT: It’s all fun stuff figuring this out, and it starts with the idea, in this case, an “escape hatch” that superhero family members can use if they’re under threat. Then I did a little research into past Justice League and Young Justice hideouts, along with the JL embassies, and started to map out the locations on a U.S. map I printed out. I actually drew (poorly) this layout for the artist because it was super complicated…Then I huddled with the editorial team and determined which locations we can actually use, because some are gone, blown up, or being used for other things and teams currently. That spread in particular was a very collaborative experience, and really exemplifies how fun it is to make comics.

7 Likes

BT: That is always a chief concern when doing an ensemble book, we always want to make sure everyone is present in the stories, with characters taking short turns in the lead position and trading off as the main focus. The upcoming events of JL will be reflected in our title, and the absence of Arthur opens the book for someone like, oh, let’s say Garth, to become a bigger focus. Also, what happens to Arthur happens at the worst possible time for the characters and their relationships.

CB: Well actually there are 3. Black Manta will play a big role in the series as a main character. Juggling 3 Aquamen is not easy but working with a writer like Brandon helps. I try not to get overwhelmed by trying to included all them. I just want to make sure their story arc is told and they become more complex and fun characters for you to read.

6 Likes

I thought both Black Manta and Aquaman: The Becoming did a very nice job of showing the struggle people who are mixed race deal with in trying to belong to two worlds but not truly feeling at home in either and the struggle minorities deal with when being affluent/successful while members of your society still struggle and resent you. Mist told Black Manta he could help cure all the afflicted with his money and resources and Delilah tells Jackson he needs to return to Xebel to help “where he’s needed”. How much discussion, if any, did you have in planning these books on how to handle these issues and how far to take them? I thought they were very well done and having gone through this in my own life it really hit home.

4 Likes

BT: By giving him big challenges that threaten the thing he values most…the family he’s created. It’s not just Atlantis at risk in this first story, it’s the trust between the character and exploring what happens when that trust gets violated. What happens when people are keeping secrets from their friends and loved ones and that stuff starts being revealed at the worst possible moments for them and the world around them?

CB: Looong before I started writing professionally I was a Aquaman fan. I always freaking hated that he was so underrated. So fast forward 25+ years and I’m working on the book! So don’t worry as an Aquaman Stan I’m gonna show everyone these fish people can kick some ass.

8 Likes

see now I just can’t not read it!

I can’t wait to tweet about how badass this series is gonna be!

4 Likes

:heart: :00_aquaman: :heart: :00_aquaman_rebirth: :heart:

5 Likes

Is there a chance we will be seeing Aquaman using his more magical side with the trident?

5 Likes

BT: Hah, Garth would agree with you, and he’ll make his first series appearance in #2, and be a BIG part of the book going forward, especially heading into the second arc. The question of “Who is Aquaman” and who gets to use and lay claim to the name and title has not ended with Becoming. It’s a constant question that basically stalks both Jackson and Garth, as they try to navigate this new relationship. Are they rivals? Brothers? We’ll see…

CB: Currently, BM’s autism isn’t a focus or a foundation of his character in Aquamen. We mainly want to focus on his relationship with his son and the fact that he’s as to watch his greatest enemy raise him. I don’t want to completely erase autism from Manta’s story. This is a great question and you are not the first to ask me this. It’s something we will need to explore in the future.

8 Likes

So glad you answered @HubCityQuestion - I had no idea that autism was part of Black Manta’s history/character but am glad to hear you’ll be exploring that in the future and that others have brought it up. Also love the possibilities with Garth/Tempest and his potential claim to the Aquaman title. That could be a very fun storyline and he could become the Loki of the family so easily - that’s a delicious potential arc!

6 Likes

I started reading Aquaman '52 series recently, I’m starting to become a huge fan of his.:grinning:

:0_aquaman_dceu:

6 Likes

Awesome™:+1:.
I agree they are definitely a more loving bunch and willing to were is on there sleeve (hopping water doesn’t wash it off​:sweat_smile:)

Thanks for answering.
Can’t wait to start reading it.

5 Likes

Ty for joining us @Aquamen.QandA , Ty @Alec.Holland & @staticshocks for moderating this forum!!!

8 Likes