Aquaman Rebirth and Beyond

Have you been enjoying Aquaman Rebirth and the Dan Abnett run?

8 Likes

Very much. I have found it a great continuation of what Geoff Johns did in the new 52.

3 Likes

I just binged all the issues since Rebirth. I think it gets better with each arc. A great run.

2 Likes

I started out reading Aquaman Rebirth by trade but switched to single issues during “The Crown Comes Done” arc.

3 Likes

Loved the runs, but hate what they have been doing to his costume. I didn’t like the pebble look, and I don’t like the low gold shirt collar either. I am excited about losing the shirt and keeping the long hair.

1 Like

Yes, I know it is for the movie but please no beard. I am a metal guy, but no long hair on Aquaman.

Yes, I know it is for the movie but please no beard. Also I am a metal guy, but no long hair on Aquaman.

2 Likes

I think Aquaman has been one of the sleeper hits of the Rebirth era and is one of the best books out there right now. It is a shame that Abbott’s run on the book is coming to an end.

I hope that Kelly Sue Deconnick can maintain the excellence of the title whenever takes over.

Also, am I the only one who would rather have Arthur end up with Dolphin instead of Mera?

1 Like

Yes I agree, Aquaman is my favorite current DC book. I think you might be, Aquaman would be crazy to pick Dolphin over Mera.

3 Likes

Aquaman’s Rebirth story is rich in Atlantean culture, Character depth and displaying some of Aquaman comics best artwork but where it lacks, especially in the shadow of Geoff Johns’ run, is in its conclusions, especially the battles are rushed. We’ve ridden the wave this long, we’ll ride it out longer if given quality story.

And these soft reboots aren’t really helping either. As soon as we see Aquaman conquer a chapter in his life you want to see him take on the next chapter.

2 Likes

Yes the fact that Aquaman writers have to work through these DC Universe events.

But I have been enjoying the Atlantis Rising crossover, and I am definitely looking forward to the Drowned Earth event.

2 Likes

I’ve been really enjoying Aquaman this year really am enjoying the Suicide Squad crossover and can’t wait for the Drowned Earth event also really looking forward to what Kelly Sue DeConnick is gonna do with Aquaman and of course the movie looks to be amazing which fingers crossed it is also not gonna I wouldn’t mind a love triangle with Aquaman,Mera & Dolphin

1 Like

I sadly don’t remember the creative team, but the Rebirth run has produced some stellar art.

1 Like

All of Rebirth as of now has been written by Dan Abenett and artist by issue include:

Oscar Jimenez: Rebirth

Andrew Hennessy, Bradley Walker: The Drowning (1, 6); House of Light (10); Warhead (16

Philippe Briones: The Drowning (2, 3, 4, 5); The Deluge (11, 12, 14, 15); H2 Point O (19, 20, 21, 22)

Wayne Faucher, Scot Eaton: Who Framed Aquaman? (7); Unstoppable (8, 9); The Deluge (13); Warhead (17, 18); Crown of Atlantis (23, 24)

After Corum Rath overthrows Aquman as King (Long Hair Aquaman). They also switched to monthly shipping after issue 25.

Stjepan Sejic: Underworld (25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30)

Riccardo Federici: The Crown Comes Down (31, 32, 33); Kingslayer (35, 36, 37, 38)

Mike Colak: King Rath: Secret Origin: (34)

Vicente Cifuentes: Sink Atlantis (Co-written by Rob Williams) (39, 40)

1 Like

I have started his runs and have quit his runs due to story content. But I really am enjoying this run for a very underused and misunderstood character. I really love Abnet and I follow his work when I can. The mysticism and mythology of Auqaman is rich and really pulls me along with the story. I want to know more. Dont rush characters into his story give each person time to breathe and develop and than introduce another. Pacing is working for me and so is the art. Keep it up.

2 Likes

Review Issue 40. Sink Atlantis conclusion.

This was an action packed issue. While Aquaman was not the focus, this was a good book.

The Suicide Squad and specifically Satanis and Master Jailer, I mean Carl, are the focus of the issue.

Next up Drowned Earth. While it seems Aquaman has taken a back seat in his own series, it is hard to believe that he will not be the focus of DC event. That being said I hope that Mera plays an important role in the event.

3.5 out of 5

1 Like

I preferred the Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis run (new52 look is my favorite), but enjoyed a lot of Rebirth as well. The Corum Rath stuff went on a little too long for my taste, and Arthur was a bit too bummed throughout for me to really enjoy it. I really like Mera, so hopefully she’ll continue to be a major player with the new writer.

2 Likes

Aquaman’s book for 2 month’s has been trash. The crossover went no where except killed a minor character off. The idea was dumb from the start and Abnett’ run only got compelling when Aquaman was a fugitive and Mera’s story arc. Geoff John’s did it better only keeping Aquaman on my pull till November. Unless it is so compelling to read Kelly Sue gonna replace it with the ultimate He Man. Conan the Barbarian.

I think that RighteousLot was spot on when he said that Aquaman is one of the sleeper hits of Rebirth. However, i’d say the same about the New 52 run as well. Aquaman is a character who is always looked at as useless by most people, but is personal comics have been some of the best DC has been producing for over 5 years now. I think the different writers have done a good job of building off of one another, rather than just everyone doing his own thing. Personally, i’m happy that we finally got to a point where he was dethroned as king and could just focus on being Aquaman instead of King and Aquaman, because that wasn’t working, despite the great efforts the character made. Over time, these writers have managed to make Atlantis and its history just as rich and diverse as it was before the reboot.

1 Like

I’m on Vol. 3 and loving it so far

2 Likes