Aquaman or Nolan's Batman?!?!?

I enjoy the Nolan films but I don’t think they’re the masterpieces many claim them to be. Aquaman is far from perfect like anything else. I prefer Aquaman over the Nolan trilogy because Aquaman is an unapologetic superhero film. Aquaman features the colorful costumes, names, and faithful concepts from the comic books. The Nolan movies dull the colors and don’t embrace the outlandish aspects of science fiction or the supernatural elements from the Batman mythos. I’m aware they’re going for a “realistic” approach but I suppose that isn’t my cup of tea. Realism isn’t what I want to see in films based on comicbook lore.

2 Likes

@kwhamilton, yeah, that’s how I feel. The Nolan movies only superficially took inspiration from the comics, while removing everything that actually felt like it came from a comic book, essentially. Ra’s Al Ghul isn’t immortal, Bane has no Venom, Catwoman has no claws or whip or even a cat costume, Joker has no laughing gas or toy-themed weaponry, etc. In contrast, we can easily imagine all of those more outlandish aspects of those characters existing in the current DC movie universe if those characters ever show up. The current movies embrace the comics a whole lot more, instead of treating the comic-book source material like something to be ashamed of and toned down on screen.

3 Likes

Batman fought vampires, monster men, and had Robin with him during the golden age. I like superhero stories to embrace the impossible.

2 Likes