Aquaman Ongoing Series Discussion: Reign of the King of the Seas Issue 57

Wait till they get a new issue here

1 Like

#55, what a fantastic conclusion to the 6 part Amnesty story. Rocha manages to make the visuals powerful, expressive and pretty to look at, a very nice combo. DeConnick pulls out all the stops with action and emotion and reminds us the Arthur and Mera’s love unbreakable. Her extension of Mera’s power is the standout moments in a book full of them.

This was a big fight, literally, with Black Manta, Maurer and Mera all going supersized. The image of water Mera talking to Arthur then taking on Black Manta was incredible. DeConnick just added her name to the writers who have permanently impacted how these characters will be portrayed in the future

Rocha handles even the simple so elegantly
And my favorite panel of the month

1 Like

That’s a good start point

I was out when Abnett left. I have no interest in the current story line.

I was a huge Abnett Aquaman fan. Think DeConnick had a slow start but really hit her stride now

I read the entire David run earlier this year, it was well worth revisiting.

1 Like

Back with Aquaman 56, a stand-alone issue from the fill-in team of Kyle Higgins, Aaron Lopresti and Matt Ryan. As fill-ins go, that’s a heck of a team. And they deliver the goods here. Although primarily a flashback, the story ties nicely with DeConnick’s current story line and the art is beautiful with a slightly cartoon look with clear lines and expressive faces.

The twin stories here deal with Arthur and Mera’s concerns about having children in their line of work and an attack by the Trench on an oil rig. Arthur and Mera reconcile their desires to protect the world and have a family and the Trench attack is wrapped up in an unexpected but satisfying way as Arthur finds some truce in his dealings with the Trench Both Mera and Arthur get to shine in their personal conversation and in their battle with the Trench. Another fine outing at sea.

1 Like

The opening sequence employs humor nicely and I love Mera’s look.

1 Like

At the risk of repeating myself monthly, Kelly Sue DeConnick is killing it on Aquaman. To have three A+ writers in a row on what many would consider a secondary title is incredible. As for issue #57, you know it’s a great series when there’s no big villain, no impending doom and its still a taught, exciting, deeply riveting story. Mera, having pushed herself beyond every limit to defeat Black Manta has paid a physical price. The after effects of a fight like this is not something we normally see in comics. In this case, the stakes are even higher for woman nearing childbirth. I won’t give more away, but this is an issue that will tear at you. It goes without saying, but I will Rocha, Henriques and Fajardo on pencils, inks and colors do beautiful, powerful work.

1 Like

We got ourselves a baby girl!

1 Like

Sweet tragic moment.

1 Like

I’m glad that Arthur and Mera seem to have made peace, but I still have a foul taste on how they… parted. A red-haired daughter is a new take (I think), so I think a clear distinction is being made between the flashes of other futures/timelines we’ve seen.

Also, I like that Orm’s returning to the series, and I found it interesting that he jumped in to compliment (almost defend?) Mera.

1 Like

It’s been awhile since we’ve checked in with Aquaman’s ongoing title. But, after a run to the LCS this week thought it was a good time to drop back in. We’ll keep this one spoiler light, so any heavy spoilers please use the “blur spoiler” One of the strengths of DeConnick’s run to me is the building of friends, family, and allies that surround Arthur. This started with the sea gods, particularly love Callie that is one cool blue demon girl. Bringing back Jackson, which further complicates the Aquaman-Black Manta rivalry. Tula and Dolphin. Political intrigue with Volka, Mera and Orm. And a full vibrant community in Maine. A really good book should shine in its calmer moments. DeConnick nails this. As for the artwork. Mendonca on pencils and inks with Fajardo on colors do beautiful work. The big two page spread of Mother Shark near the end is incredible. I’ve said it before, but man I we lucky with the string of A+ writers we’ve had working the King of the Seas in recent years.

1 Like

I find this run frustrating. I like everything mentioned in the post above (we just need Garth!), but the whole setup still rubs me raw (i.e. Arthur’s reaction to the baby reveal, Mera’s reaction to his reaction, and then their subsequent ‘not speaking first’ stances upon his return).

Okay, you’re right. Those two kids love each other, so falling out so easily should never happen.