Aquaman: King of Atlantis Is Weird and Wonderful

Aquaman and Mera are back in the most wonderfully weird way! Throw any expectations you have about Aquaman into the ocean because you’ll never guess what your eyeballs are about to see next in Aquaman: King of Atlantis . The three-episode animated series, which wraps up today with its climactic final chapter, is an action-packed frenzy of butt-kicking, bright colors and bubbles. Even if weird or purposefully silly isn’t usually your thing, we still suggest diving headfirst into Aquaman: King of Atlantis . It’s absolutely see-worthy.

Following the events of James Wan’s Aquaman , chapter one of King of Atlantis begins with Aquaman’s first day on the job as ruler. He’s got his girlfriend Mera and advisor Vulko at his side, but things don’t get off to a great start. The awkward Atlanteans aren’t quite sure what to make of their outsider king. Never one for ritual and tradition, Aquaman leaps at the chance to run (swim?) away from his boring duties to investigate an outpost that hasn’t been heard from in years. Mera offers to join him and a new undersea adventure gets underway.

To learn more about Aquaman: King of Atlantis, head over to DC Comics!

Have you been watching Aquaman: King of Atlantis? Let us know in the comments! :point_down:

11 Likes

Alfred and I will watch it someday soon. (OOC: Aquaman is dad’s favorite hero).

4 Likes

I’ve watched the first two episodes and really enjoyed it. It’s not what I expected it to be when it was first announced, and the animation took a little getting used to, but when it’s moving, the action is very kinetic and cool, and it actually has just enough serious moments to work.

5 Likes

The voice work is great, the music is enjoyable, and the animation is reminiscent of Yellow Submarine, which works surprisingly well for Aquaman.

5 Likes

I’ve enjoyed the little I’ve seen.

Maybe if this does well, it will convince WB Animation brass to go all-in on Aquaman: The Animated Series? :crossed_fingers:t2:

3 Likes

My son enjoyed it more than I did, but it was far from a disaster. It did seem very derivative in terms of the tone of other clever shows with intentionally- unpleasing animation. Very nice choices on the voice cast.

2 Likes

I have been enjoying this with my kids. The animation isn’t my favorite but it works for the show.

1 Like

Im still not sure

1 Like

Should i

And now this show along w/ a bunch of other HBO Max originals will be gone from the service later this week. Zaslav just continues to prove he’s the absolute worst, and I just have zero faith in his ability to lead WB to success at this point

5 Likes

I think I saw that there was rumors that WBD might be selling off it’s rights to Sesme Street, so that might explain why they’d get rid of that show, but for everything else that they own lock, stock and barrel, WHY would they get rid of content on a streaming platform? It doesn’t do anything positive and it actually takes away from your platform when streamers need as much content as they can muster.

3 Likes

The only thing I can think of is that scrapping these means WB doesn’t have to pay whatever licensing fees and/or other costs that were needed to keep the programs on the service. But I can’t imagine those costs would’ve been nearly as much as hosting non-original shows/movies on the service, though I can’t pretend to know all the details regarding those financial aspects

Regardless, you’re absolutely right that it’s still a highly negative move. Original content is 1 of the biggest strengths, arguably the biggest 1, of any streaming service, and so cutting that content is naturally gonna set the service back. Now how is anyone interested in these original titles ever gonna watch them? It seems like many of them will just completely disappear, which is such a bad look regarding content that was specifically developed for this service

2 Likes

I’m glad I watched this show while it was available. Was fun and unique take on Aquaman and I liked the work that Billy Batson’s foster father did as the voice.

2 Likes

TIL that there was a new Aquaman cartoon.